A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Things that make you go :nonp: ....

We went to a stodgy sort of ma & pa neighborhood restaurant for Father's Day brunch this morning.  We were early enough that we didn't have to wait to get seated.  The place was nearly full and pretty noisy, but I could still tell that there was music being played in the background.  Seemed familiar, so I concentrated on it for a minute ... heard enough of it to be certain.

... Black Sabbath's Paranoid. ??!???

My mother likes watching reruns of the old TV show, Diagnosis Murder. Dick Van Dyke as a brilliant doctor who helps his homicide detective son (played by Van Dyke's RL son) solve murders. I just realized you could transcribe the setup into Lois McMaster Bujold's World of the Five Gods. Doctor Mark Sloan as a petty saint of the Mother, blessed with a supernatural sense for when a dead person was murdered, and his son Steve Sloan an acolyte of the Father, as seen in Penric's Shaman and Penric's Fox. Amanda the pathologist could mmmaayybe be a sorcerer, since a demon can give its host supernatural perception into the body. No character obviously fits as a shaman. The good-looking junior doctor sidekick (Jack in early seasoms, Jesse later) is just a junior acolyte.

Dean Shomshak

Dean Shomshak

We discussed previously that Keanu Reeves success with three successful franchises with three or more films sets him in a class by himself. I got to wondering, who is next? Could Chris Pratt be this generation's Keanu?

He already has two successful franchises with three films (Ok, GOTG 3 is on the way, but it will be here), could another be on the way? He's still relatively young. He also has a long running TV show under his belt. (He didn't star but was a central character.) Both started in comedy and went to action. There's always rumors about new gigs. If he finds the right property, he could do it.