A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

You can find things put in the science categories that meet that description, but you're guilty of overgeneralization to make the global assertion above.  Other times I have heard statements like that made, the imputation of mysticism is actually a complaint by the speaker about not being able to understand what they read or heard; that often is the result of too little context for a particular claim or result being provided in a lot of science items.  A lot of the time that is the fault of the reporting (or editing of the reporting).  IMO a lot of the time so much important background information is cut out by publishers pandering to the mathophobes (or who are themselves mathophobes) that what's left is, well, something that reads like magical mystical crap.

There is also something of a privileged channel for way-out-there cosmological and fundamental physics theories to get into popular-level media.  I get really tired of that stuff, because a lot of that I categorize as garbage that current measurements cannot presently rule out.  Supposedly Einstein said that a theoretician's most important tool was his wastebasket.  Unfortunately, there seems to be some confusion between "popular-level press intake hopper" and "wastebasket" these days.

• 2 weeks later...

It occurred to me at Job #2 last Saturday that I have completely stopped explaining things to women.  Even if directly asked "and how do I do X," I fake complete ignorance, sometimes going so far as to pull the instructions from some of the products involved and read them verbatim-- again, without explanation of any likely-unfamiliar terms.   I don't know when this started, exactly, but I do know why.  I browse too many humor sites; too many opinion sites, perhaps.  But the "somebody just tried to mansplain a thing to me" has gotten absolutely asinine: "my car is stuck in a ditch and this dude straight-up tryna mansplain how to get it out" and other such nonsense.

It occurred to me that I had stopped when a woman came in looking for a way to adapt an outdoor gas burner to her home plumbing and bypass the regulator (it's that time of the year in the south:  one good frost, and everyone wants to start building bombs.  It kind of works: they will stay warm for the rest of their lives).  As a general habit, I tell them that I will not help them do it, and then explain why I will not help them do it, furthered with the promise that I am not going to sell them any parts for hooking up gas lines of any kind, and explain that because of weird laws in this state, you can blow yourself straight to the gates of hell and sue the people who sold you the parts.  Go figure.

I have stopped doing even that if the customer is a woman.  I just feign ignorance and wish them luck (though I do make a point to tell them that we don't have any kind of parts that would do that.  No explaining; just "we ain't got none."  I don't want anyone to blow themselves up.  Well, maybe Travis, but he's a special case.)

If the current culture is that no man should ever explain anything to a woman ever again, fine.  It doesn't bother me that you don't want someone to tell you.  Figure out for yourself just why you're getting electric shocks when you touch the fridge and your stainless steel countertop at the same time.    Car on fire?  Want to know which extinguisher to use?   Don't ask me; I'd hate for you to think I was mansplaining.  Make a few tweets and wait for a non-man to help you.  We will both be happier.

• 2 weeks later...