A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Guest Worldmaker

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Scottish humor.

A Scot and an Englishman are flying from Edinburgh when the stewardess approaches

"May I get you something?" she asks.

"Aye, a whusky", the Scot replies.

She pours him the drink then asks the Englishman if he'd like one.

"Never!" he says sternly. "I'd rather be raped and ravished by whores all the way to America than drink whisky!"

The Scot hurriedly passes the drink back, and says "Och, Ah didna ken there wuz a choice!"

Guest Worldmaker

Yet another joke:

Q: What do you get when you cross a bad politician with a amoral lawyer?

A: Chelsea Clinton.

I did say that I would post if I saw Alyson Hannigan on Saturday. She was in the stage adaption of the film When Harry Met Sally.

They had to change scenes around obviously. Sally meets Harry when he is painting her apartment when she just gets to New York. She has about a dozen locks on the door.

The film had the first meeting in a car journey, the second in an airport.

Second meeting is in a gym in the play.

One of the big questions is:- Does the play have THAT scene in the restaurant/diner ?

Yes.

Meg Ryan did it better in the film in my opinion but then we saw her face on.

Alyson we side on for this. It is good and there is a spirit of anticipation. We know what's coming, question is how will she do it ? very well in fact.

Harry meets his wife in a bar with the karaoke machine instead of a store as in the film. And the furniture argument in the play is over a James Brown doll like the singing bass.

When Harry and Sally end up in bed, she pounces on him to a roar of delight fom the crowd.

The play ends as the film does with the lovers reconciled at New Year.

I liked the play. They used a screen in front of the stage to show the old couples who had been together for years. All new couples different to the movie. Sally's friend who she tries to matchmake with Harry and ends up going out with Harry's friend in the film (Carrie Fisher in the film version) is a video artist and she is the one who does the filming of the couples.

Then the screen can split part of the stage and heighten or lower for things like the book shop where Harry and Sally meet for the third time.

They move time forward to 1987 for the play start and 1999 going into 2000 for the end.

Alyson looked good in a green dress and a black dress. She also has a great smile.

This is also her first play which shows a certain amount of guts on her part. her other work has all been film or TV.

I didn't see Luke Perry who usually plays Harry. his part was taking by a stand in called Kevin Collins who did well.

The end of the play has Harry and Sally talking about their relationship and the people were smart enough to have the stand ins work with the stars as the black and white footage you see is Alyson and Kevin not Alyson and Luke.

Nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon and definitely better than watching the FA Cup final. but oh joy the football (soccer) season is over until August.

Guest Worldmaker

It seems that a devout, good couple was about to get married, but a tragic car accident ended their lives.

When they got to heaven, they asked St. Peter if he could arrange for them to be married, saying that it was what they had hoped for in life, and they still desired wedded union. He thought about it and agreed, but said they would have to wait.

It was almost one hundred years later when St. Peter sent for them. They were married in a simple ceremony.

So things went on, for thirty years or so, but they determined, in this time, that eternity was best not spent together.

They went back to St. Peter, and said, "We thought we would be happy forever, but now we believe that we have irreconcilable differences. Is there any way we can get divorced?"

"Are you kidding?" said St. Peter. "It took me a hundred years to get a preacher up here to marry you. I'll never get a lawyer!"

Sometimes I despair of other people's music tastes. The No 1 record for 4 weeks and now No 2 for the last two weeks is Eamon and **** It (I don't want you back). The No 1 record for the last two weeks is Frankie and **** You Right Back, the answer back record to Eamon. She allegedly is the girlfriend of Eamon who he talks about in his record. Problem is she isn't sure he was talking about her to begin with and when questioned by British DJs could not get things right about her alleged Ex.

In the lead up to The Day After Tomorrow, there have been a few disaster movies on. Apparantly there is going to be a remake of the Poseidon Adventure (do what ?!!).

So I see Armageddon for the first time. Several things came out of that for me. These include why was it alright to do a bit of destruction to New York and then totally trash Hong Kong and Paris ?

After trashing Paris how come the sky cleared up so fast showing the damage was less severe than first shown ?

Whose stupid idea was it for Ben Affleck to survive ?

Why wasn't the person who wrote such pompous dialogue made to die a lingering death ?

On Saturday they had a TV movie with the destruction of Seattle, a few small towns in California and then San Francisco. Called Earthquake 10.5 by the way.

One thing that taught me. Get away from the monuments as they will go despite any strains they have been built to resist. Apparantly the Space Needle can resist a 9 point odd Richtor scale quake. Unless gas tanks underground go then one in the 7 range will finish it off. And you can ride a bike away from it real fast and survive.

The Golden Gate fell completely but you had a helicoptor journalist covering it getting excited. Wouldn't you be more concerned for the number of poor souls who are about to die ? Or are all journalists now soulless ?

A town got swallowed and left major dust up in the air which is the problem I have with Paris getting nuked as above. This was a lot more believable.

And people were helping each other across State boundries and from the Federal government. Which goes to prove it was a work of fiction. And of course the maverick being right.

Guest Worldmaker

Agent X is really beginning to chap my ass. He makes little cutesy remarks about me that are just on the edge of nasty, he makes sarcastic comments about me, he condescends to and insults me... he jabs and jabs and jabs and jabs and when I finally have enough of it and tell him to cut it the hell out, he jumps up and down and points and says "SEE! I TOLD YOU! HE'S AN ASSHOLE" at the top of his voice from whatever moral high ground the top of which he can haul his antagonistic little ass.

If I don't respond to him, he continues to make things uncomfortable for me. If I respond, I suddenly become the bad guy.

Makes me wish I was local to him so we could just have a fistfight and get it over with.

Guest Worldmaker

What is it with actors from outside of Florida being unable to pronounce Floridian placenames, even when they are supposedly playing Floridians?

I mean, hey, Pacino... if you're playing a character from Ocala, Florida, at the very least learn that its pronounced "oh-KAL-ah" and not "OKK-ah-la".

It's fun when two or more people respond with the same word or phrase in the word game threads. ;)

Well, fun may be an overstatement, but a "Hey! Someone thinks like me!". Well, maybe it should be a cause for concern on occasion. :D

Guest Skaramine

I'm in an upbeat mood. I'm actually able to write again. I needed to tap the power of Rage Against the Machine to get my blood pumping so that I could write.

I think that Rage's take on Street Fighting Man is totally appropriate for writing about the Executioner. :)