A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Guest Worldmaker

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I don't get people who hold grudges over piddly, stupid stuff that in the long run matters for squat. I just don't. I can't wrap my head around it.

I sent a note to someone recently... a someone who apparently has been angry with me for quite some time because of some minor action I took a year ago. I was unaware they were angry with me. I mean, sure I hadn't heard from them in a while, but that happens all the time when it comes to people I only talk to in email.

Anyway, my email was along the lines of "Is there something hanging between us that needs to be resolved? If so, please let me know what it was so that we can work it out. If I've done anything to tick you off, I apologize."

Apparently the fact that I am unable to remember the details of the offense has made the person even angrier. The person in question spit my attempt at reconciliation back in my face, saying that until I acknowledge what I have done, and that what I have done is wrong, there's no reason for this person to believe I am being sincere when I say I want to work things out.

Now, I'm willing to admit that I might have said something to offend this person, but its been over a year at least. And its not like we're talking about an offense on the level of "I ran over your mother" or "I raped your sister"... I'd remember something like that.

No, the offense is most likely on the level of "I got angry at you for something that happened and called you a name you didn't think there was any call for namecalling" level of offense.

I can't wrap my head around that level of vindictiveness. I just can't. People call me names and yell at me every day... FRIENDS do this... but when they come back a week later and say "You know, I don't remember if I said anything this last couple of weeks that was hurtful, but if I did I apologize..." I take them at their word because its no big deal. And usually, my response is "Wow... did you? I don't remember, really."

Because as I said, its not in my nature to be that vindictive.

Finally got to sleep, only to have a thunderstorm explode over head and wake me from slumber. One bolt sounded rather close (Well, it sounded like it was in the backyard, but probably wasn't). I staggered upstairs, and went looking for chemicals so I could get superspeed in case some electricity arched through a window. Alas, no lab... I do have some Dr. Pepper now (Hey, sleep is ruined) and the frig is full of Ketchup and mustard along with some other condiments.

What this may do, I do not know. I suspect my hair will stand on end, but the rest is for the cosmos to decide.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. I decided to burn 13 bucks when I saw a Trade Paperback that made me smile: "Formerly Known as the Justice League".

I had heard good things about it (on these very boards in fact) and remembered the light hearted moments fondly. So I bought it.

I must have reread the darn thing 3 times since I got it already. I just can't help but grin as J'on is reminded of his once while oreo addiction. My heart goes out to Ted as he deals with having grown up (or is it just a mid life crisis?). Mary Marvel in this is just too cute for words, and while I miss Captain Marvel himself, she's a fine choice for a replacement on the team.

I understand a sequel "I can't believe it's not the Justice League" is planned, and I look forward to it.

Peculiar situation. Power went out yesterday about five. At about 11:00, the small light we had on in the bedroom flickered on. We tried the computer and sure enough, we had power. Or so we thought.

When we got up this morning, only our bedroom, Erin's room and the bathroom had power. The rest of the house didn't, and doesn't. The circuit breakers seem to all be in the right position, so we're befuddled. :confused:

I'm half-watching West Wing on Bravo, they're doing a "viewer's choice" thing that my wife is watching, and there's an episode which takes place after multiple gunmen apparently opened fire on the president and his entourage, wounding several. And it reminds me one thing I've always wondered - how does any presidential candidate live to see the White House? It just seems so incredibly easy, no matter what security there is, to get a few grenade launchers, half a dozen guys, and just go at it anywhere, anytime. And among hundreds of millions of people, let alone the terrorists and such from other countries, it just seems - ridiculously easy. The fact it doesn't constantly happen sort of restores my faith in humanity.

If you look at Mentor's current avatar you can see me in my first actual job.

And for those of you befuddled it shows Mr Shatner in the Trouble with Tribbles episode covered in Tribbles.

One of them is me.

I do hope that Mentor got a release for that photo as lawyers can be pretty picky about that sort of thing. My image doesn't grace just about anything.

Let's try again.

Can any of the Americans tell me if they are being deluged with documentaries or films about D-Day with the 60th anniversay coming up ?

Over here we have had several and the Longest Day was shown about a month back. There was another last night that concentrated on archaology of the British landing for one regiment and the German emplacements they faced.

And I have also finished Stephen Ambrose's account of D-Day. Same guy wrote Band of Brothers. Recommended for the Americans. My problem was there was not enough info on the British and Canadian areas. Omaha beach is covered in detail and it explains why it was necessary to land there and what went wrong.

Hmmmm, I'm just starting to get tired and it's just after 4:20 AM. It is going to be a LONG day and we have a recording session tonight and - OH DAMN THAT'S WHAT I FORGOT, I didn't do some work I had intended, grrrrrrr. Well, it's not vital, really.

Anyway, what I was going to say is that lately my body really wants to be up nights, the pattern is too easily fallen into each weekend and I'm sleeping less during the week - other than the stray night I crash and burn.

But that wasn't even really the musing I was going to type, what I was going to say was that ... ah... what was I going to say? Well now I've forgotten but I know one thing I was going to say is that it's quite nice seeing the Young Ones on DVD!

It really cheeses me off when I take the time to make sure that my PC meets not only the minimum standard requirements but the recommended requirements for a new game and yet my PC can barely run the thing without bursting into flames. If the game takes a NASA mainframe to run cleanly, it should say so on the box.

I speak of FarCry. I guess Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 are right out. And a new video card is way down on the priority list given the new house. Grrr... :mad:

Points of interest over the weekend:-

Saw the second part of Earthquake 10.5 during which the Californian coastline got a major upgrade. Fun;

Replaced my stolen DVD player;

Got a birthday present for a friend I have not seen in a few months;

Got the latest FHM with the top 50 women of the last decade. Louise Redknapp nee Nurding won. And if the photo book were not so big I would scan her pic in. But Gillian made it in at No 21 so I am happy.

For those interested Shania Twain was in the top 50 and so was Salma Hayek, Alyson Hannigan, Pamela Anderson and Sarah Michele Geller. The Dushku made no 99. I honestly don't see what people see in Pamela Anderson these days nor Cat Deeley (another top 50 who the Americans won't know);

Saw quite a bit of Deep Impact. Tea Leoni and Max Von Sydow died and the whole crew with Duvall. Wasn't expecting that;

Saw Van Helsing at the cinema. That was nice. Now where can I get the pictures of Jackman and Beckensdale in costume;

Finished the D-Day book;

Big Brother 5 has started introduced by Davina McCall (tasty) as always. This year the sparks should fly with the 12 contestants. One of whom is a radical feminist and a guy she met at the interviews who hates her. Already they have had 11 of 12 suitcases delivered with the people voting who didn't get theirs. The feminist was the one who lost and didn't even take part in the voting which she was supposed to. She also climbed onto the roof before being ordered back down but she was egged on by the others;

I was reading this article and one line in particular jumped out at me:

"There's no question: If the president's poll numbers are down … it makes it harder for the White House to have influence," a senior House Republican leadership aide said.

This statement and attitude is symptomatic of everything wrong with modern politics. It gives no value to the power of leadership. Wouldn't a good leader be able to influence the budget battle, especially given the significance of this fight for the soul of his party, regardless of poll numbers? Or am I just being naive?

I know complaining about Reality TV is nothing new, but "Joe Schmoe 2" is being advertised heavily on Spike network. It brags about how it fooled people before, and seems to be inviting us along as they promise to lie, decieve, and make a fool of another person... won't that be fun? :rolleyes:

It goes beyond Candid camera, many of these shows play on dreams or hopes of people only to #$#$ them over in public eye. I'm sure they get paid for it, but lord, the total lack of ethics involved is amazing. I've seen reality shows that encourage deception, cruelty, and cheating on loved ones.

Unlike soap operas, they assert these are real people they're putting into these situations.

And this is entertainment?

What the hell is wrong with people!!? Why don't we just throw victims into the arena with the Lions again and at least be honest with ourselves and stop pretending to be ethical if we're going to enjoy this sort of crap.

I've got one of those novelty pens that has a little frog on top with boxing gloves on. It's one of those where you push these buttons in the back and he thrusts his fists forward.

I think I've been enjoying this frog more than what is allowed by any standard. :D

And before anyone replies to this with something dirty...GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE "MIGHTBEC!"