I challenge you!

Asperion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The Wicked Queen's best magic trick was disguising herself as a crone. Maleficent turned into a giant fire-breathing dragon. No contest.

Speaking of dragons: Smaug (from the second and third of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit film trilogy) versus Vhagar (from the recent House of the Dragon television series). From the best official sources I could find, the two of them are of comparable length, between 130 and 150 meters.

I am going with Smaug. He could talk and he was his own creature, having a motivation of his own.

Now if you said the Smaug from the cartoon I would have said Vhagar.

The Balrog from the Lord of the Rings films (the Peter Jackson ones) vs one of The Nazgul (aka Ringwraith) also from Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson version)

Balrog, hands down, as Balrogs are on or near the same  power level as the Nazgul's creator. One had to be taken out by a Wizard, and killed that incarnation of the Wizard in the process. The other was taken down by a plucky warrior.

The Doctor from Doctor Who, David Tennant incarnation vs. Professor Moriarity of Sherlock Holmes fame.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Balrog, hands down, as Balrogs are on or near the same  power level as the Nazgul's creator. One had to be taken out by a Wizard, and killed that incarnation of the Wizard in the process. The other was taken down by a plucky warrior.

Well, if we're talking about the movie versions, I have to say that I would have agreed with you before seeing the extended version of Return of the King. In the movies, Gandalf the Grey fought the Balrog at length, and succeeded in killing it, though he died in the process. But the extended RotK has a scene in which the Witch-King of Angmar shattered the staff of Gandalf the White by his magic. Obviously the Witch-King was the strongest of the Nazgul, but still a Nazgul. And he wasn't taken down by a plucky warrior, but by two, one of whom caught him by surprise from behind, and neither of whom were covered by his prophecy of invincibility.

Of course, the Nazgul would have been another level of terrifying if their master's Ring was on his hand again.

6 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The Doctor from Doctor Who, David Tennant incarnation vs. Professor Moriarity of Sherlock Holmes fame.

I am going with the Doctor as he has vastly more experience and could challenge Moriarty as he has had a similar foe in The Master.

Let's settle this once and for all New Jersey (state) vs New York (city) 

Both were disappointing in their WW2 performance as fighters -- the lack of a supercharger was telling -- though the Warhawk was the staple aircraft for the Flying Tigers in China, and the Soviets made use of a lot of Airacobras on the Eastern Front.  Both were American aircraft with lots of armor behind the pilot, of considerable value since their opposition was generally armed with .30 caliber MGs that could not, in general, pierce that armor.  I will go with the P-40 because half again as many were built as the P-39.

Underground comix characters:  Cheech Wizard versus Fat Freddy's Cat