Star Wars 8 complaint box

massey

Rey forms bonds with the Original Trilogy cast and they die one by one...while also (inadvertently) bestowing upon her their most prized possessions. Rey gets the Millennium Falcon as well as Anakin's lightsaber. What will she inherit from Leia: her golden bikini?

There does seem to be a small section of fans that does seem to be fond of saying "if you don't like The Last Jedi, then you are not a true fan"

On the other hand, of those, I sometimes wonder if you slap the Star Wars logo onto a copy of Gigli, how many of then would argue great a movie that was.  :fear:

22 minutes ago, Badger said:

There does seem to be a small section of fans that does seem to be fond of saying "if you don't like The Last Jedi, then you are not a true fan"

On the other hand, of those, I sometimes wonder if you slap the Star Wars logo onto a copy of Gigli, how many of then would argue great a movie that was.  :fear:

What did folks think was going to happen once Disney began churning out Star Wars films at a breakneck pace? Not every entry is going to be a winner; matter of fact, there's going to be a whole lot of "mediocre" and "downright awful" from now until the day Disney discovers they can't squeeze out another drop of green milk from their cash sea-cow.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

TLJ is just a movie, folks. Move on.

3 hours ago, dmjalund said:

If TLJ was a stand alone movie, I wouldn't give a shit.

the problem is it is part of a trilogy and it affects how we see the movies before and after it.

I guess that I start with a different group of assumptions about most media products right now. Most reboots/reimaginings are actually pretty bad, or at least not faithful to the original material. Much of that is because the producers are aiming for a young demographic*, who probably isn't familiar with the source material**.

*And increasingly female. Hollywood is finally figuring out that women have money for movies other than "Sex and the City" and "Titanic". Ethnicity other than "young white man" are also important with modern movie marketing, and it's what drove TLJ to over $1.3 Billion in worldwide box office.

**Look, I saw Star Wars (no episode number) in the local movie theater 41 years ago. I am not the target audience of the new movies, and chances are, neither are you. The alternative is "Blade Runner: 2049", a movie which skewed toward older male for the demographics:

The CinemaScore demographic breakdown was 71 percent male and 86 percent over the age of 25, with 63 percent over the age of 35. For a generation of hardcore film buffs — mostly male — who remember seeing the original “Blade Runner” in theaters, “2049” was an event release. But for other demos, this film doesn’t seem to have struck a chord, even with Ryan Gosling in his first wide release since “La La Land.”

6 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I guess that I start with a different group of assumptions about most media products right now. Most reboots/reimaginings are actually pretty bad, or at least not faithful to the original material. Much of that is because the producers are aiming for a young demographic*, who probably isn't familiar with the source material**.

*And increasingly female. Hollywood is finally figuring out that women have money for movies other than "Sex and the City" and "Titanic". Ethnicity other than "young white man" are also important with modern movie marketing, and it's what drove TLJ to over $1.3 Billion in worldwide box office.

**Look, I saw Star Wars (no episode number) in the local movie theater 41 years ago. I am not the target audience of the new movies, and chances are, neither are you. The alternative is "Blade Runner: 2049", a movie which skewed toward older male for the demographics:

The one problem though, you have core demographic, and you have others you want to get interested in your product.  If you run off more of your core than what you bring in, it will always be an unsound move.

And the 1.3B box office should come with an *, because a lot of longterm fans came in expecting a Star Wars movie.  Will the people pissed off about the lack of quality of VIII, be sheep enough to see IX?  If not, you might should lowball on that 1.3B next time around. 

Note: Don't get me wrong Star Wars could really use more female fans.  Though, if they are looking for strong female role models, it isn't here.  Except Phasma. 

Speaking of Phasma: she gives up the Death Star 2.0 shield codes to a bunch of "Rebel 2.0 scum", the Death Star 2.0 is destroyed, and she is still somehow employed by The Empire 2.0? How in the **** was she not summarily executed for failing to carry out her duties? Someone with her level of devotion/responsibility should have told Han, Chewie, and F-N to go pound sand.

6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Speaking of Phasma: she gives up the Death Star 2.0 shield codes to a bunch of "Rebel 2.0 scum", the Death Star 2.0 is destroyed, and she is still somehow employed by The Empire 2.0? How in the **** was she not summarily executed for failing to carry out her duties? Someone with her level of devotion/responsibility should have told Han, Chewie, and F-N to go pound sand.

There's been chatter that Phasma is actually like Kenny from South Park, and will be killed in each episode. Make of that what you will.

It has been on my mind today about the whole female and ethnicity angle mentioned earlier up.  My conclusions are that given that I was a white boy who grew up admiring the likes of Harriet Tubman and Joan of Arc.  I'm probably will never quite get having to identify role models by similar race/gender.   Not sure if that is right, wrong, or just is.

Am I the only guy NOT on board with the Sequel Trilogy redefining what the concept of "balance in The Force" is? I always understood it to mean that the Sith (the largest manifestations of the dark side of The Force) would be vanquished. Now, "balance in the Force" either means that A) There is supposed to be one "Big Bad" and one "Big Good" OR B ) You must draw upon the dark side of The Force along with the regular Force in equal measure. Huh? Seeing the philosophy of "darker and edgier" infect a beloved franchise that firmly embraces black and white morality is demoralizing.

I have to admit I like A a little (it's how I made sense out of the prequels, the Jedi just learned the hard way that no prophet ever actually said balance is necessarily a good thing)

B, yeah not crazy about that.  ANd yeah, I don't particularly like dark and edgy for the sake of dark and edgy.  Go catch up on Wolverine if you want dark and edgy or something.