Classic Movie Plot Holes (Spoilers)

Cassandra

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

The timing of the Dirty Dozen movies after the initial one is suspect after the first one owing to the time those injured would need to recover and the time left in the 2nd World War.

Only three guys escaped in the first movie and they were released. THe second group was a whole new bunch of convicts

CES  

28 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

Only three guys escaped in the first movie and they were released. THe second group was a whole new bunch of convicts

CES  

Not technically true. Only one convict survived/ The other two were the major and the head MP. These two would go back into the fight still badly injured and the major was the same in the other films although played by a different actor. And the timing of the war in Italy and France would be the deciding factor.

20 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Holding on wasn't the problem.

Breathing was.

Not really.  AIUI, given the restrictions U-boats operated under (battery power mainly), they tended to stay on the surface running on diesel engines, diving only when facing possible attack or preparing to make an attack themselves.  So if they were in an area where they weren't in danger of attack, it's reasonable to expect they'd have stayed surfaced the entire time. 

However, I'd expect some crewmen would have come up to enjoy some fresh air.  So keeping from being spotted would be the real problem.

Its not reasonable to expect a submarine to travel about 500 miles at war time with the British patrolling the waters to stay on the surface the whole time.  They move faster underwater, as well.  So in theory they could have putted along on the surface like a slightly sunken boat for the trip but its not very likely.

12 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Its not reasonable to expect a submarine to travel about 500 miles at war time with the British patrolling the waters to stay on the surface the whole time. 

A valid point... if it had been war time.   A quick search online shows the movie was set in 1936.  And another quick search tells me that World War 2 started three years later, in 1939.

They move faster underwater, as well. 

No.  No, they really didn't. 

According to Wikipedia, Type VII U-boats went 17.7 knots on the surface, or 7.6 knots submerged.  And their battery power only allowed them to go about 80 nautical miles before needing to surface.

Just in case Wikipedia's not to your taste, I also checked www.uboataces.com, where they say they went between 16-18.6 knots on the surface, or 7.6 to 8 knots submerged (depending on model), with a range of 69-90 nautical miles on battery power.

17 hours ago, Sundog said:

You don't need to open it to use it. An Army carrying the Ark before it is invincible.

Maybe, though I see some variance on that.  God (or the entity that caused all the mess that killed the first Nazis if you prefer)  might not be keen on helping Nazis.  It did burn away the swastika on the crate after all.  Which would suggest a possible No Sell on helping people who wanted to wipe out Jews.  Note: Not to mention we heard at the start it didn't take to the Egyptians too well either.

13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Right, remember in the mythological non-Biblical account of the ark invented for the movie, it was just a weapon, a talisman of power that shot death rays and ensured victory.

Yes, that was said at the start.  But other evidence suggest against it cooperating.  What with freak sandstorms burying Egyptian cities in the possession of it, burning Swastikas off of crate it lies in, and melting friggin Nazis who are dumb enough to open it.  Seems like if Indy stays out of it, and Belloq doesn't get curious, and takes it to Berlin first,  we have an alternate universe where WW2 doesn't happen scenario (or Goehring/Goebbels/whomever had to take over after Hitler got his face melted off.)

As far as the U-boat and speed, I doubt the Nazis worried about that.  As they probably figured they were rid of Jones (even if they didn't believe Cpt whathisname about killing him).  Jones other options would be talk that captain into following (not likely) or Jones swimming after them (impossible).   And it was still peacetime.  So nobody was out looking to sink them, though they might be a bit leery of British and French vessels.

8 hours ago, Badger said:

Yes, that was said at the start.  But other evidence suggest against it cooperating.  What with freak sandstorms burying Egyptian cities in the possession of it, burning Swastikas off of crate it lies in, and melting friggin Nazis who are dumb enough to open it. 

The ark harrumphed.  "One!  You bury one city, and suddenly you're anti-Egyptian!  And you'd melt someone's face off, too, if they just opened you up without so much as a by-your-leave!  I mean, they could have at least knocked first!"

I thought Indy managed to get in the sub.  It's been a while since I've seen it, but I thought he was hiding inside somewhere.

As far as it being a plot-hole, Indy didn't know the Ark was going to melt all the Nazis.  He was trying to stop them from stealing a priceless archaeological treasure, not keep them from using an all-powerful weapon.  Actually if the Nazis hadn't opened it, Indy might have done it himself.  At the beginning of the movie, he mentions it being "superstitious nonsense", or something along those lines.

They never show it, but they do show Indy still in his classic Indiana Jones costume when they get to the mysteriously complete and complicated sub base in the middle of nowhere, so he'd have had to hidden in a small submarine in civvies, somehow.  I've been in one of those WW2 subs, you can barely walk.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:55 AM, death tribble said:

Fortress of Solitude implies one. You can't have the Fortresses of Solitude.

Sure you can, as long as each Fortress stands alone and you're alone while at them.

What you can't do is invite a bunch of friends over to your Fortress of Solitude.

Or you could, but while they're there it's not really a Fortress of Solitude anymore. It would be a Fortress of Companionship maybe.

Lucius Alexander

And a Fortress of Palindromedaries

13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Considering Germany wasn't supposed to be building any military items per the Treaty of Versailles, they would probably want to be out of sight, not cruising around on the surface with a big flag.

Yeah, that was why I mentioned leeriness of British and French vessels

13 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

The ark harrumphed.  "One!  You bury one city, and suddenly you're anti-Egyptian!  And you'd melt someone's face off, too, if they just opened you up without so much as a by-your-leave!  I mean, they could have at least knocked first!"

Heh, well, just saying indications throughout the movie did seem to suggest it was a weapon that was to be used by Hebrews and Hebrews alone  (which would make for an interesting what if? If the modern Israelis raided that warehouse, I suppose)