Charmed Reboot

Cassandra

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

And that's bad how exactly...?

What's wrong with just saying "Man"?   It seems like it's meant to be derogatory.

In context one of the characters complains about a "Cis-Male" teaching women's studies.  What is a man said that a woman shouldn't teach Military History?

2 hours ago, Cassandra said:

What's wrong with just saying "Man"?   It seems like it's meant to be derogatory.

Maybe because the character wouldn't have as much of a problem with a trans man [1] teaching women's studies?

At least many trans men have some relevant life experience. 

2 hours ago, Cassandra said:

What is a man said that a woman shouldn't teach Military History?

That's very different. Military history is not about the male experience, It's about military history. Men have not been traditionally side-lined and their experiences ignored, so there is simply no valid comparison.

5 hours ago, bubba smith said:

I don't know what ' a cis-male' is but perhaps I WAS right

A "cis-male" is a male who was born male and identifies himself as male. Gender is a much more complicated matter now than it was, at least in terms of discussion (gender variation has always existed, but it has been actively suppressed for most of history, frequently to inhuman degrees). There is enough variation acknowledged today that we need a new vocabulary to address it all.

Speaking as a male who is by biological sex, a male, and by gender identification, a male,  I prefer Nontrans to Cis. 

I would also be cool with muggle.

I try to respect what others prefer to be called, so I don't think that's too much to ask.

That said, I don't have a sticker on my forehead or a T Shirt declaring such so unless I expect folks  to develop psychic powers and KNOW that dot dot dot

I do find the idea that a nontrans males cannot teach women's studies rather sexist of the character.  Civilians who have lived lives of peace can teach military history, hell, they can even teach military strategy. Said teacher might have a different perspective, but there's no more shame in learning women's studies from a male perspective than there is learning about learning said military studies from a civilian one. But without context of the scene beyond what was mentioned I can't be sure if it's deliberately illogical writing, actual bigotry on part of the writer, or that the character herself is meant to be a bigot, possibly one who will overcome her narrowmindedness as the season progresses.

I do know that the first thing criticized was terrible acting, and you can't normally fix that  ;)

So I'll probably pass.

12 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I do find the idea that a nontrans males cannot teach women's studies rather sexist of the character.

Generally speaking, the appointment of a cis male to teach women's studies is a political act. It's one of a range of weapons used to marginalize or destroy the discipline.

Criticizing such a politically motivated appointment is not sexist.

Just now, assault said:

Generally speaking, the appointment of a cis male to teach women's studies is a political act. It's one of a range of weapons used to marginalize or destroy the discipline.

Criticizing such a politically motivated appointment is not sexist.

I would think that it is if that's the default assumption of the character that it must be other wise a non trans man would not be teaching it. But  I cannot deny that this and other classes do get turned into political hot potatoes at times.

I only heard about the reboot last night. Apparently it starts on Australian TV tonight. I'm underwhelmed by the concept, but it doesn't clash with anything I want to watch, so I will take a look at it.

Except now that I've read things about it, I can feel the urge to shout at the screen coming on.

17 minutes ago, Old Man said:

As a cisgendered male human, I'd like to offer my cultured opinion that Doherty, Milano, and Combs were (and are) hot, and I will judge this totally unnecessary reboot on similar grounds.  *grunt*  *scratch*

Very attractive women. I confess to being more than a bit smitten with Combs.I suppose Milano is a better name for a space ship though ;)