Hello From Australia

Ginusbact

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Western Australia is 3 TIMES BIGGER than Texas alone. Also, the Republican Party is not in Oz. Person in photo is probably referring to the stereotype of Aussies all being like Mick Dundee, or Steve Irwin. 

Well, most humor relies on exagerration and stereotypes....  :)

2 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Ozzians have Australian Rules football. Texans would weep if they ever saw such testosterone-y feats of sports.

Speaking of Texans & Aussie Rules football. Here is Mason Cox, a Texan, starring performance in the 2018 AFL Preliminary Final. The two people in the crowd are his parents. 

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

Western Australia is 3 TIMES BIGGER than Texas alone. Also, the Republican Party is not in Oz. Person in photo is probably referring to the stereotype of Aussies all being like Mick Dundee, or Steve Irwin. 

Yep - here in WA, road directions can easily be 'follow this road for 650km, and your destination will be on your left'. Of course, it didn't help that they'd given me the wrong directions. 

Perhaps I should first say "Welcome!"

But since the thread drifted fast ... ;)

Honestly, I might tease about Australia but If England is Mom... (And this is just one Americans' take on it)

The US i the Rebel Elder Son that decided he would pull a James Dean ride out be a bad ass and he is... but he also revs his engine too much and throws his weight around. He has both matured and lost some of his youthful idealism. Sure, he's a great success story, but where once he fought 'the man' now he is 'the man' and he tries to have it both ways which drives others nuts. No wonder he appears to be going through a mid life crisis currently. It is ironic that he's actually a lot like mom in that he's made some of the same mistakes she did when she was running her empire but with a modern twist. He is more aware of his many screw ups in the past and owns most of his mistakes but also resents having them thrown back in his face and isn't sure how to fix them without making things worse for himself or others. Sometimes he resents that the same neighbors and family that fuss at him for intruding on matters are none of his business also expect him to 'do something' when #### hits the fan. It is unknown whether the United Kingdom smirks at this , feels sympathy, or both.

Canada is the good son, who did his homework, chores, and yet elder brother got all the attention! Everyone says Canada is such a nice boy (And he usually is even if he makes snarky comments under his breath) and if folks talk less about him than his older brother, those that do talk about him often talk more fondly of him so there's that. Still, it sucks being in this shadow, so he consoles himself with the certainty that his path is right and Hockey is superior to this whacked out egghand game his older brother plays. Sometimes he feels bad about some of his past wrongs feeling he should have been better than that but over all he IS a voice of good will in his neighborhood and in his chat room. He's got a lot to be proud of, and can have a wicked sense of humor (his older brother often steals his best jokes/comedians), but in his heart of hearts his greatest fear is if he put on either a suit and tie, or a leather jacket he'd look just like his older Brother America.  Please, God no.

Australia is like that younger brother who got the spare room in the attic, and thus had more space than others. Left on his own devices, he explored, dropped in on mum, and realized his 'attic' had cool beaches, neat stuff, and really could be party central. He became the Fun one! Of course folks often misjudged him either as the frat boy, or the jock, but the truth is like Canada when mom was in trouble he showed up.  He seems to have a good sense of humor about himself but perhaps has less patience for taking #### from others than middle brother has.  He's kind of got the best of both worlds, he's popular and dog gone it, folks like him while he's done really well of making a go of it near that Asian Neighborhood so far from mom's current locale. He boasts more than his middle brother, less than his older. And is possibly more introspective than either knows. Some of the stuff he did to set up his home bugs him and he'd like to make it right, preferably over a drink while watching a game and scaring visitors with stories about how the wildlife in his neighborhood could strike at anytime.

17 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

In Australia they don`t play American football. In Texas that would be tantamount to blasphemy.

Australia does play gridiron. I don't know how big a following it gets. I'm assuming not the big following that Aussie rules football has in America. 

On 12/28/2018 at 3:00 AM, Bazza said:

Speaking of Texans & Aussie Rules football. Here is Mason Cox, a Texan, starring performance in the 2018 AFL Preliminary Final. The two people in the crowd are his parents. 

Aussie Rules is a very interesting game that I wish I knew more about. I do know the athleticism needed is tremendous. I would be interested to know where the Texan picked up the sport and how he managed to impress Australian scouts.

Rugby and Aussie Rules players are often in demand as placekickers and punters in the NFL. The money is good in America, but I'm wondering if some of these guys are missing out on a lot in the overly-specialized NFL.