Funny Pics II: The Revenge

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Almost right.  Corrected, America is Middle North America, Canada is North North America, and Mexico is South North America.

You're welcome.

What about Alaska? That's farther north than half of Canada.

Of course, technically the United States of America is only a fraction of all America (or "the Americas" to some). The problem is, what do you call people from the United States? Staters? Unies? USAs (pronounced "oosas")? "Yankees" has derogatory implications. There really isn't a decent-sounding alternative to "Americans."

Edited by Lord Liaden

24 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

What about Alaska? That's farther north than half of Canada.

Of course, technically the United States of America is only a fraction of all America (or "the Americas" to some). The problem is, what do you call people from the United States? Staters? Unies? USAs (pronounced "oosas")? "Yankees" has derogatory implications. There really isn't a decent-sounding alternative to "Americans."

Therefore, Canadians and Brazilians are also Americans.

We're not locked up in here with you.  You're locked up in here with us!

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

A quick check of Wikipedia states the the Indies they are referring to is India not “independent”. Your word is noted, and rejected. Now, if India wants a word… ;) :D :P 

The word already exists, and it has a meaning. If somebody wants to start calling "associates" by a one or two syllable abbreviation, I don't think they're going to care what word it's claimed to be derived from. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lord Liaden

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The problem is, what do you call people from the United States? Staters? Unies? USAs (pronounced "oosas")? "Yankees" has derogatory implications. There really isn't a decent-sounding alternative to "Americans."

I read two fun short stories many years ago, where each narrator was an archaeologist or historian researching a long-lost people.

In the first, the researcher referred to the long-ago people as the "Nacirema."  It took me a while to realize that he was talking about modern US society. 

Spoiler

Spell his name for the people backward if you haven't already made the connection.

In the second, he said that some skeletons were wearing uniforms with "US" pins on the collars, so he referred to them as the "USans."

I think the second one could work to refer to citizens of the USA.  (Though I actually like "Nacirema" more.)

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I read two fun short stories many years ago, where each narrator was an archaeologist or historian researching a long-lost people.

In the first, the researcher referred to the long-ago people as the "Nacirema."  It took me a while to realize that he was talking about modern US society. 

Hide contents

Spell his name for the people backward if you haven't already made the connection.

Body Rituals Among the Nacirema. I read that faux-academic article in a Humanities class as an undergraduate. A classic satire of both modern American society, and the smugness of academic sociology. I once showed it to my sister-in law, the Doctor of Psychology, without explanation. She was completely fooled by it, and didn't look happy when I suggested she read the name backwards.

8 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

In the first, the researcher referred to the long-ago people as the "Nacirema."  

Hide contents

To this very day, I pronounce "sanitized for your protection" as the most somber of blessings, and regularly schedule visits to the Holy Mouth Man.

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Body Rituals Among the Nacirema. I read that faux-academic article in a Humanities class as an undergraduate. A classic satire of both modern American society, and the smugness of academic sociology. I once showed it to my sister-in law, the Doctor of Psychology, without explanation. She was completely fooled by it, and didn't look happy when I suggested she read the name backwards.

I remember reading about this in the ol' People's Almanac (the OG 70's one) back when I was a kid...

On 8/6/2023 at 3:13 PM, Lord Liaden said:

The problem is, what do you call people from the United States? Staters? Unies? USAs (pronounced "oosas")? "Yankees" has derogatory implications. There really isn't a decent-sounding alternative to "Americans."

On another forum USAians was typed, but I'm not sure how it could be pronounced.   Spanish has the word Estadiounidense, but it is both difficult to say and hear.

16 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Hey, Nacirema!  *dances*