What does a Champion campaign really looks like ?

Tryskhell

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

"Lightly?!"   

:rofl:  :rofl:

Well this started as a serious reply to "what does a Champions Campaign look like," and as I not-too-terribly-long-ago concluded a campaign-- and for beginners, no less!-- I thought it might be well-suited as a sort of "it looks kind of like this" reply.   

Granted, I could be completely wrong, as it was geared for kids aged 12 to ... 15?   16?  I can't remember how old the oldest was; it was one or the other of those, though.  Most were 13 and 14.  Anyway, kids or not, trust me when I tell you I have found the attendance problem is actually _worse_ with adult players.  :(

Of course! Adult  players have adult responsibilities. They have jobs, spouses, kids, etc. Unfortunately, that takes priority. Pre-family and then post- family players are the norm these days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit, hasn't it?

In my defense, I think I mentioned my job has been upping the hours owing to the time of year, and to top that off, I've become too damned old and too stove up for regular construction and remodeling side work, so to prevent entirely loosing a second income stream, I just flat-out took a weekend job.  Time is a bit tighter for me nowadays...

Anyway, the next session I've got everyone!  it's awesome!   :lol:   

Unfortunately, we are now all fretting about the robots and their attack on Tree.  Feral's player has been brought up to speed, and has been ret-conned into the scene.  He's attempting to track the source of the robots, only to find out (per the original adventure I borrowed this from) that they were coming out of various manholes at locations around the park.

Magnificent has discovered that the tech inside the robots is not bleeding edge, but that it was at the time it was created, and it's still well-ahead of the off-the-shelf stuff you can get today.  That's right: this is old stuff he has seen before.  He's attempting to run down the source for this stuff, as the company who's mark is all over most of it went out of business a decade or two ago.  Mycroft wants some analyzed "properly," by police labs and licensed contractors to the department, so he's been having his own specimen's examined (never mind that Magnificent's company _is_ one of the licensed contractors ;)  ).  For second-opnioning, he wants to know who the absolute kings of high tech are in this world, and he is pointed to Daniels Industries (yes; they fund the college of the same name).  This creation of my original GM is a "super lab" owned by retired superhero Willoughby "Projectile" Daniels, who retired from super heroics because he was really, really bad at it.  Still, he will bend over backwards to assist anyone from "his old fraternity" and as a result of such associations, his company is both phenomenally successful (nothing like getting first peek at unpainted super-tech, right?   :lol:  ) and involved in an astoundingly wide range of research fields.  Jim said he modeled it originally on the Star Labs from the 80's Teen Titan books, though it has become a staple feature of Campaign City in the years my groups have been playing here.

Mycroft is reluctant to go because he is aware that the company is run by a super, retired or not, and that supers attract whackos.  To be fair, I don't use Daniels himself much-- he spends much of his time running the company, after all (which he hates and would rather be in a lab somewhere, but he loves "the good we're doing," so he tolerates it.  

It's time for a couple of hidden rolls: both Magnificent and Kinetica have a Contact Perk (yeah: I cribbed that from..  Espionage?  DI?  I don't remember.  Anyway, something forward of 2e, but I use it now and again) that they have never decided upon.  I roll to see if   --

You know what?

There might not be any need in continuing this.

If the OP is satisfied that his question has been answered, I'll stop boring everyone else.

Well, if people want campaign recaps, I realized that I offered a choice of two adventures way back when. I posted the example of an adventure that ran off the rails and became a farce; here's one that went as planned.

This came from the second Keystone Konjurors campaign, which I ran when updating The Ultimate Super-Mage to 5th edition as The Ultimate Mystic and The Mystic World. The PC lifeup changed, in that the Mad Mage Ian Malcolm regained is sanity as Talbot Fulten, Archimago's son who went mad for a while after Learning Too Much in his search for the fundamental principles of magic and the Multiverse. Black Fang is present as an NPC ally: At the end of the first campaign, the PCs found a way to merge the human and werewolf personalities. He and Jezeray are married.

-------------

NEW ADVENTURES OF THE KEYSTONE KONJURORS — Nov. 00

THE ART OF THE POSSIBLE

Artifex returns to Wetchley House from one of his missions and is surprised to encounter Sara-Maria, the Konjurors’ new Salvadoran maid. Apostle explains the situation; Sara-Maria collects her weekly pay and goes home… and mere seconds after she leaves the house, the two mages hear her scream!

They can’t teleport to her (Wetchley House’s anti-teleport wards work both ways). They reach the door just in time to see Sagana Liefeld (the Sylvestri woman with the black metal body who serves the demon lord Mulciber, last seen in the first half of “Barbie World”) encase Sara-Maria in a shell of magic metal. Apostle and Artifex briefly fight Sagana, trying to protect Sara-Maria, but Sagana Gates away to hell with the captured housekeeper. Before she goes, however, she drops an envelope on the sidewalk.

The envelope holds photos of several people, all held prisoner by Sagana and Mulciber: Artifex’s father Mr. Doyle, Andrew’s father Judge Talmadge, Jezeray’s old mentor Madame Zora, and Zeta Krafft (the artist whom the Konjurors saved from a pact with Mulciber way back when). As Apostle expects, Sagana soon phones the Konjurors to say that Mulciber demands their surrender. If they don’t give themselves up at the doorway to his subterranean halls in ten minutes, he will kill the hostages and torment their captive souls for eternity.

The heroes decide that this time, they are really and truly outmaneuvered. They Gate to Mulciber’s demesne in the Netherworld, and surrender to the Avarice Demons on guard. They’re stripped, gagged, bound into wheeled racks like Hannibal Lector and blindfolded, then wheeled to Mulciber’s audience chamber.

Mulciber gloats a bit in the best sadistic-megalomaniac fashion, then says that the heroes can buy the lives and freedom of themselves and the hostages if they perform one task for him, with their souls forfeit if they fail or displease Mulciber in the slightest particular. Since it’s the only way to save the hostages, the PCs all agree. Mulciber frees them from the racks and asks them to grovel a bit. Then he makes them sign a soul-contract — including Zontar. Only then does he say what he wants them to do.

Mulciber wants them to help him defect to Babylon. He believes that the Descending Hierarchy doesn’t give him the respect he deserves. He finds the growing power and influence of his arch-rival Belphegor, a demonic industrialist, especially galling. Instead of trying to destroy Belphegor in some protracted vendetta, though, Mulciber decides that living well in Babylon — and revealing all the secrets about his fellow demon lords that he’s collected for thousands of years — is a more satisfying and immediate revenge.

Artifex, for the first time in his life, acknowledges that he is in the presence of a sneakier bastard than himself.

Defection from Hell is no easy thing, though. Mulciber wants to take his whole volcanic demesne with him — or as much of it as possible, anyway. He believes that by combining their assorted Gating spells, the Konjurors can move an immensely large mass — perhaps the entire volcano. He wants Talbot to work out the details of this unprecedented magic. He also needs an immigration permit from the Babylon bureaucracy, and a place for Mount Mulciber to appear. (They receive an enchanted pennon to mark the mountain’s destination.) Mulciber expects his superiors and rivals in the Descending Hierarchy to discover his plan within an hour or two at most, so he gives them one hour to arrange everything in Babylon.

The PCs Gate to Babylon. Sagana accompanies them as Mulciber’s monitor, and to assist them any way she can. The group splits up: Artifex and Apostle, who have the best Presence and related abilities, set out for the Imperial Palace to try getting a permit from the Emperor, while Talbot, Jezeray and Sagana search for a location where they can plunk down a mountain without crushing thousands of people. Artifex suggests Central Park (it exists in Babylon), while Jezeray decides to search for an abandoned district — one that echoes a city now forgotten.

Jezeray asks a cabby to take her to the Shamballan district, and learns that there isn’t one; nor an Aghartan district. Thos cities died long before Babylon’s birth. Moving forward in history, she tries for a Sumerian district, and learns that Babylon does indeed have an Old Mesopotamian quarter. It’s nothing more than a derelict walled plaza with a ziggurat at the other end. She investigates astrally, and finds that the ziggurat’s guardian statues remain active and able to sense her. She decides that Old Mesopotamia might have some occupants, and in any case it’s too small.

Rendezvousing with Talbot and Sagana at Central Park, Jezeray reports her failure. They’re stuck with Central Park.

Meanwhile, Apostle and Artifex get Ye Olde Bureaucratic Runaround at the emperor’s palace. After a half-hour of filling out forms and running from window to window, Apostle decides to bluff. Being the Guardian of Light should count for something, dammit! Artifex casts his “Golden Opportunity” spell on Apostle; the spell is a minor Social Transform that grants people lucky breaks, though the person must work for themselves to take advantage of them. The spell and a bit of bluster gets Apostle into the diplomatic area, munching caviar and champagne while the diplomats try to locate the Emperor.

While Apostle tries to get a permit by hook, Artifex tries to get a permit by crook. He goes to the Casablanca District and Rick’s Cafe’ American. Of *course* the characters from one of the most famous movies of all time have echoed into Babylon! A few bucks in the piano player’s jar nets Artifex an interview with Rick. In return for the promise of a favor, Rick passes Artifex to the Vichy police chief. The chief asks for *two* future, unspecified favors in return for the requisite paperwork — one for the residency permit itself, and one for a rush job. “And they’ll be *big* favors,” he warns. “This is no small thing you seek to do.” At about the same time, Apostle learns that the staff has located the emperor in Casablanca.…

Apostle and Artifex meet the others at Central Park. The others create sirens, shout warnings to clear the park, etc. Sagana takes a more brutally pragmatic approach: She sets one of the park’s forests on fire, and marches into the blaze plant Mulciber’s pennon. Five minutes later, they’re ready to Gate back to Mulciber’s demesne.

They arrive on the slopes of Mount Mulciber in the middle of a siege. They can’t teleport of desolidify their way in past the mountain’s wards (if they could, then so could the attackers). They have a dangerously prolonged fight with squads of Greater Wrath Demons, Lesser Avarice Demons armed with infernal Uzis, and squad leader demon Sergulath. Eventually they get the Wrath Demons to fight each other and draw them away. Black Fang rips apart some of the Avarice Demons; Artifex sets the remaining Avarice Demons fighting each other while chasing a jeweled golden bauble he created. Sagana takes her cue from him and pitches golden apples at the other squads of avarice demons marching up the mountain, throwing them into turmoil. Sergulath takes a lot of beating, but they finally pin him long enough for Sagana to trap him in a metal shell. At last, they have the doorway free long enough for them to get inside.

Talbot has worked out the necessary spell-hacks: If Artifex converts his and Apostle’s Gate spells into spells to add mass and Area of effect to Artifex’s own Gate spell, they can move an area 1.6 km in radius from the Netherworld to Babylon — most of the mountain! Minions set up the necessary paraphernalia while Artifex reweaves Apostle’s and Talbot’s spells. Mulciber also brings out the hostages as proofs of his good faith, although they remain manacled.

As the first squads of attacking demons break into the mountain, Mulciber blows a horn signal for his minions to retreat and regroup. Artifex, Apostle and Talbot begin the Mega-Gate Spell.

But something’s wrong with the spell! It sucks the very life from the participants. In rules terms, at the start of each Turn it inflicted a Drain on a random physical characteristic — half the active Points of each character’s contribution. Talbot suffers a 3d6 Drain, Apostle a 4d6 Drain and Artifex, who is wielding a 240 Active Point final Effect, suffers a whopping 12d6 Drain! The first Turn’s Drain is against BODY, and it nearly kills Artifex then and there. It also turns Apostle out of his super-vitalized Hero ID. (Fortunately, this does not affect his spellcasting.) The second Turn’s Drain is against CON, rendering Artifex so feeble that *any* damage would stun him.

What’s worse, one squad of demonic attackers makes it into Mulciber’s throne room. Mulciber commands his Forge Maiden and Guardian Beast automata to protect the three Mega-Gate casters. Mulciber himself must concentrate upon keeping his demesne from falling apart in the dimensional vortex. It’s up to Zontar, Black Fang, Zagana and whatever of Mulciber’s Avarice Demons can make it to the throne room to repel the invaders.

The attacking demons are evenly divided between Lesser Avarice and Lesser Wrath demons, with the “named” demon Halpas, a bird-man with an ever-burning sword. Zontar leads off with the Scintillant Suns of Saravane, blinding all the demons except Halpas. The vicious little birdman shouts that if they don’t stop the spell and return Mulciber’s demesne, he will kill the hostages. He begins by stabbing Zeta Krafft. She begins burning from the inside out.

Zontar, Sagana and Black Fang manage to keep the gang of demons scattered and disorganized; about half of them are blind at any given time. Zontar finds the time to give Zeta one Restorations of the Ragnar, but she keeps burning. Halpas stabs two more hostages while Sagana, Black Fang and Zontar fight him and the demons. At the start of the third and final turn of the Mega-Gate passage, the casters suffer a STR Drain; they need the help of the forge maidens just to stand.

Just as Mount Mulciber appears in Babylon, Zeta Krafft dies. Mulciber thinks quickly: In the last second in which his demesne counts as part of the Netherworld, he plucks out her soul in the form of a golden statuette. A moment too late, Black Fang and Zagana nail Halpas and the other hostages stop burning. Zontar quickly heals them, but most of the hostages are nearly catatonic with terror.

In the Netherworld, meanwhile, the hollow shell of Mount Mulciber — everything outside the Mega-Gate radius — collapses in on itself, crushing hundreds of non-flying demons in its tunnels and on its slopes. (They aren’t really dead, of course, but they’ll be buried quite a while.)

The Konjurors have fulfilled Mulciber’s demand; true to their agreement, he burns their contract and releases their souls. But now what?

Mulciber points out that he promised that neither he nor his servants would harm any of the hostages if the Konjurors got him to Babylon; the contract said nothing about the actions of third parties. He could, in fact, keep Zeta Krafft’s soul — but he won’t. If he intends to be a Lord of Babylon instead of a Lord of Hell, he figures he should start paying a little more attention to the spirit of contracts as well as the letter, so… he offers to build Zeta a new body of metal, like Sagana’s.

Zontar lets Jezeray out again so she can talk to Zeta’s soul. Zeta agrees that a body of living metal is probably the best deal she’s likely to get at this point; they choose a body of bronze with copper hair, as the closest to humanity without pathetic, doomed attempts at skin-tone enamel.

The Konjurors must also get the hostages home. Artifex erases the traumatic memories from the catatonic Sara-Maria. Madame Zora decides that she’d rather not remember this, either. Judge Talmadge and Mr. Doyle, however, decide to keep their memories. The Judge is just plain tough: After several years with a son he had to chain in the basement every full moon, not much fazes him. Mr. Doyle simply doesn’t want anything from his worthless son. He excoriates Artifex for never telling his parents that he was still alive. Artifex responds with his usual I-am-not-who-I-was, self-made-man speech. As Artifex Gates Mr. Doyle back to South Boston, Mr. Doyle bitterly says that it’s quite all right if Artifex never speaks to him again.

Finally, the heroes assemble again for the resurrection of Zeta Krafft. At last, Mulciber pours the soul-metal into the mold, breaks it open and animates her new body with a plunge in the quenching-vat. Zeta is shocked and dismayed with her new form: It’s rough and schmutzy. Well, duh: It hasn’t been burnished and polished yet. Mulciber tosses Artifex a jar of polish and says, with a leer, that he expects Artifex will want to help with that part. Artifex blushes, for the first time that any of the other Konjurors has seen.

Aftermath: Artifex does *not* put any moves on Zeta; he doesn’t have any. In fact, he knows almost nothing about relating to real women outside scripted, artificial roles such as singles bars. Zeta is still dealing with shock. If anything develops between Artifex and Zeta, it’ll take time. They discover, though, that for metal bodies a good burnish is the equivalent of a massage.

The heroes will certainly see some fallout from this adventure. Mulciber’s defection shifts the balance of power between the Imaginal Realms and is sure to infuriate the Descending Hierarchy. Artifex now owes a favor to Rick, which is no biggie, and two favors to the Emperor, which is. His soul is in hock as much as it was when he signed Mulciber’s contract. Zeta was travelling when Sagana captured her, and has no home at the moment.

And what will Mulciber himself do? Will his subordinate demons poof back to the Netherworld if dispelled or knocked out? Talbot is pretty sure they will, unless they obtain immigration permits too or Mulciber transforms them in some way. A few days later, though, the Babylon newspapers (who obsess on the story for the obligatory nine days and no more) report that Mulciber has hired a marketing agency to find what consumers and businesses want in a demonic artisan minion, and he’s advertising the services of Mulciber Craft Associates Inc. Mount Mulciber itself shifts from Central Park to co-locate with Vesuvius, accessible by way of the Pompeii district — an eerie journey. It also co-locates less continuously with Lantau Peak (Hong Kong) and is sometimes seen in the distance from the Seattle, Naples and Tokyo districts, where it replaces the volcanoes seen from those cities.
-----------

Dean Shomshak

Below is an example of an adventure in a campaign.

(Brief summary)

My most recent campaign episode which I GM'd had the hero team in their base, baking cookies. The team leader, who's also a singer & detective got an invite from a mayor in Casa de Chile (made up city) east of Lima, Peru South America. They travel there to the town, which is doing fairly well since a gold mine is being worked at a few miles away. He had fans there that simply couldn't come to America to see him. So, he and the team went, the rest posing as people to help set up. This included a genie girlfriend of one of the heroes. After an introduction to the mayor, a view of the city and setting things up in the small outdoor bandshell, the singer pc sang for his fans. The evening progresses with a little romantic walk with pc & genie girlfriend and just before a kiss, she *poofs* away.

Everything starts to go downhill at this point.

The pcs investigate her abrupt disappearance: the genie girlfriend's lamp was discovered to have been taken. A couple thugs with guns break-in and order them to go downstairs (and are promptly subdued). Four more guys are coming towards the cozy hotel but another hero outside takes them out swiftly. They find out the thugs have viper badges, making them concerned. So, one of the subdued agents gets a PRE attack on him and told to take him to his girlfriend. (For me, one reason I don't give mook agents a 20 Pre, so PCs can intimidate agents for info.) He takes them to a concrete building where there is sounds of an ending brawl. They hero rips the door (and surrounding wall) away and enter. The agents beat each other up to try to get wishes from the genie; the genie girl's been keeping track & the problem is they each have been wishing for someone else not to get their wishes and all the agents ended up using their 3 wishes in the brawl. The genie girl stays behind to look after things while the remaining agent is terribly deflated and tells them the mayor was planning on using them as slave labor for the gold mine.

Heroes get taken to the gold mine where 3 agents of Viper Force 1 (VF-1) are, with the mayor - who's a Viper Commander with stylized metal armor, and alot of viper agents looking over the civilians. Viper's been running the town for 6 months and so as not to blow their cover, allowed the town to prosper as well. The heroes fight the supervillains and some agents, while the civilians tackle alot of the agents, making things manageable for the heroes.

Viper defeated and given a blow in South America, the people thank the heroes. Later, the singer & 'normal crew' are apologized to for not being to warn them away, but were afraid of Viper. The pcs return back home, having taken out a small Viper stronghold in an far away place.

• 3 years later...

Well, I haven't done anything here for some time- mostly because; well, dying computer, posting by phone sucks, etc.....

Last year at Halloween we started a "background arc" built around a Mcguffin called the Morgan Stone.  Short version is where the stone appears, weirdness happens.  At Halloween, the city was overrun by angels, spirits, asylum escapees, and zombies.

At the end of the day, blame,Foxbat, who needed the stone to serve as the jewel for his walking stick while he qas John the Good Reverend Smith, because the perfect costume requires the perfect accessoriea, and you cant sell The Church of Everybody Else is Going to Die without the perfect costume, right?

Geez, Leroy; sometjimes I dont think you are paying attention at all...

That side quest ran two six-hour sessions and a third four-hour session, so you can see why I don't want to discuss it with two thumbs, bad eyes, and a brain-damaged autocorrect.    ;)  

So just before Christmas, the Morgan Stone reappeared.

See, even though our heroes figured out that the stone was the cause of their troubles (much earlier than I had meant for them to, but hey- I can roll with it), they still failed to recover it after Wight Night: Foxbat had taken crafty (for various values of 'crafty') precautions to keep it out of their hands, and- to my incredulous disbelief- _they worked_!  (Seriously: these kids jad seen through most of his plans right up until now, then they all had some kind if brain cramp or something....)

Well, _that_ waan't going to cut it, as the Morgan Stone has to be in play to cause more holiday-themed mischief for at least two (and possibly three) random holidays.

So skip to Friday's adventure (which we played in under three hours, for a number of reasons, the first one being that I had seen this one as being little more than mindless combat: they had done a considerable job chasing leads, connecting the dots, putting everything together, and figuring out that zombies ciuld be cure through forced ingestion of Bison-brand microwave chicken nuggets and that much-maligned artificial orange juice: Delish-S.  (Let's remember that I lightened it up considerably in the planning stage upon discovering that one of the younger girls playing had a serious squeamishness about zombies).

So what does a campaign look like?

Sometimes, you have to fill in the blanks for the players.  You have to handle this,,,, well, with new players, you have to just make it a matter of fact kind of thing; always, you should have a firm grip of the players and how they operate, and use your best judgment.

Some newer players might find it a bit railroad-y (it isn't), and some older playrrs might object because 'why cant we play that out?'  At the end of the _experienced_ players realize it is just "so you are all sitting in a tavern" with extra filler.  It won't take long before your new players get there; you just have to handle it accordingly.

You are all standing in the street in feont of city hall, waiting for the sun to finish setting.  Magnus (Magnificent has been accidentally called Magnus so many times,since I last posted here that he has retconned his name), you and Firefly are posing with a bunch of the school kids from yesterday.  The Chamber of Commerce put out an add for superheroes to help young children decorate the big tree, with an emphasis on those who could fly.

The massive pine tree  in front of the City Hall has been the town's official tree since the cornerstone for City Hall was first laid behind it.  Today this venerable pine tree is just over 90 feet high, and so thick with foliage as to be even more perfect than the most meticulously-designed artificial tree.  For decades now, the bottom fifteen feet have been decorated by kidergarten and elementary school students, and a tradition started by Rook over 20 years ago has a few superheroes come to help, lifting or sometimes carefully flying children up to reach the highest branches of these lower limbs- with parental permission, of course.  

Of course, you, Firefly, and Magnus were big hits, as you can actually fly and carry the children; Red Cloak would cast levitation spells, giving children the illusion that they were flying all by themselves.  Feral was delighting the kindergarten children by turing into a gigantic squirrel and carrying ornament-laden children scamering up the trunk and out onto the limbs, bursting through the needles, pausing long enough hang an ornament, and scampering back into the tree, over and over again.

I did a quick run through of how each od the PCs participated, inclyding Mycroft lifting a few children as high as he could reach, but mostly pushing and collecting various release forms from parents and constantly yelling at different heroes to "be careful!  Those aren't sacks of sand you're  carrying!"

See?  We could have played that through, but instead it took three minutes to simply summarize a non-plot-critical scene that set the tone for the moment and explained why we were so here together now in our costumes.  Had we played it, we could have easily burned half or more of the session just gooding around.  Yes; it would have been fun, but with any luck, the planned adventure would be even more fun.

In front of City Hall are the sixteen steps to the ground, each the full forty-foot width of the stone courtyard in front of the main entrance.  Today, the steps and the courtyard serve as an impromptu grandstand for the mayor and various other local officials who will be making short statements and well-wishes as soon as the parade finishes.  A small handful of the helpful heroes from yesterday are gathered behind the officials- that includes you guys, of course, and most of you have tuned out the panderinf of the politicians, waiting for the big even itself.  You pass the time amusing youselves with the antics of the people enjoying the Winter Carnival set up in the park across the street, and generally scanning the huge crowd that has gathered for the tree lighting.  

The parade has almost concluded; it has gone through the financial district and is currently windinf its way through the government distric, known locally as  Red Tape Row (even though it consists of a series of buildings built around eight small squares such in turn are built around the much larger Founders Park, where the Carnival is set up.  

As the parade winds through the street in front of City Hall, it continues on around to the opposite side of the Carnival and breaks down the floats and disperses.

Finally, the last of the parade- Campaign High # 213's award-winning marching band has one the draw this year, and has won the right to lead Santa's Sleigh in the parade.  They march just beyond the courthouse and pause, marching in place, and a small golf-cart festooned with decorations and lights tows a comical-looking machine that is spraying dlurriws of artificiaI on an assortment of people dressed variously as elves, nutcrackers, and polar bears.  As they march forward, the jinflinf of bells heralds Santa's sleigh, drawn (on hidden rubber wheels) by a team of real reindeer (raised and trained by a local man living on a small farm outside of town).

The sleigh stops briefly, Santa leaps out, and runs up the steps with his gift sack on his back.  He continues to the podium, steps up to the microphone, and gives a hearty "Ho! Ho! Ho!" to the crowd.  "Santa has so many gifts for Campaign City this year!"

As if on cue, the first of the politicians step forth and Santa hads him a gift.  The politician opens it, and removws an oversized check.  He shows it to the audience, and then announces "the charities board is pkeased to announce that they have raised thirteen thousand dollars for Campaign County Animal Shelters this year!"  There is cheering  and applause and rhe politician launches into a bried speech, wishes everyone happy holidays, and steps down.  Santa produces another present, another politician  steps forward, and rhe cycle repeats itself.  Mercifully, rhis only lasts thirty minutes or so, rhen then Mayor Cauldwell takes rhe podium.  After a brief speech and well-wishes for rhe citizens, he is interruptwd by Santa.  "Mr. Mayor, I think it's time-"

"It was time thirty minutes ago!" Yells a voice from the crowd.

Rhe mayor turns to Santa, gestures grandly, and the tunrs back to the crowd "we are fortunate to live so far north that Santa himself can attend our tree lighting!" as Santa makes his way toward a comically-oversized and festivley-decorated switch.  Reaching the switch, Santa turns to the crowd and announces "Here we go-ho-ho-ho!" and thros the switch, setting off a few pyrotechnic sparks as hidden technicians throw the real switch, and the tree blazes to life.

The crowd oohs and aaahs for a few minutes, then begins to  break into smaller groups, each doing whatever it is it wants to do- take pictures, move closer to the tree, go to the carnival, or whatever.

Again: we could play this, but ultimately, there is nothing for the PCs to _do_ at this point, and it is four more minutes of narraration.  

At this point, the players are a bit antsy for something to do.

Mycroft, you notice the float that had the two gigantic Timmy Tiger balloons seems to be having trouble wrestling with them.

"Hey- one of you flying guys want to go help out with those balloons before someone gets hurt?  Doesn't hurt to peove you're worth keeping around."

We have a few similar situations- let the players run around, do some,helpful things, let rhem interact with the townfolk- Feral got to flex a skill solving an electrical problem,that had stymied the Ferris wheel- things like that.

As soon as evertone had settled into rhe "okay; we are having a character development type session....

Mycroft; give me a Perception check

Why me?

For one, you're closest.,,for another, more than any other character here, you are the most likely to be habitually looking for trouble, what with your police training and general untrusting nature.

Makes sense.  Eight.

The light seems to have shifted.

What do you mean?

There is something different,about the pool of light in which you stand.

I look around.

Make a Perception check at plus 2.

Eleven.

It's the tree.  It's leaning.

Leaning?  Like falling?!

It Doesn't seem,to be fa)ing, but it is _definitely_ leaning way forward for some reason...

Crap!

You can hear the creaking of the trunk, and the tree seems to be.. Wobbling?...

Crap!  Rook!

Took is tied up: her social group runs a small roller coaster at the carnival to raise money for the homelss shelter.

So she's here?

Yes, but she isn't here in costume-

She's like seven and a half feet tall!  What else does she wear?!

Right now, she's wearing a very xute Santa's elf costume with a name,tag that says "Hi! My name is Tiny Elf."

(Much laughter from the players)

The roller coaster is muscle-powered; she's the muscle.

Is she strong enough to catch a tree? 

Probably, but she doesn't have her radio.  She is here to have fun with her friends from one of her social clubs and raise money for charity.

Magnus!  Can you hear me?

Can I hear get?

Him.

Him.  Can I hear him?

Have you got your com link on?

Yeah...

Then you can hear him.

What's up, Mycroft?

Are you strong enough to catch a tree?

Maybe......?

Maybe?!

Nobody has ever thrown a tree a me!  What kind of a question is that?

Well the Christmas tee is falling over...

Feral, Kinetica, and Red Cloak:  What?!

Firefly: I am on the way, Detective!"

Kinetica: I will beat her there.

Thanks, Firefly, but I think thia will take more muscle than you have.

Feral: I hummingbird over to the tree-

Mycroft, you turn back to the tree and notice that it isn't leaning.  It is as straight as it has always been.

What?  How?  Guys, be on the lookout for any supervillains with illusion powers!

Red Cloak; I have illusion powers!

Me: and you're not under suspicion; you are one of the good guys.

Can I help?

Feral: I think I have gor muscle covered!  I turn into an elephant the second I land!

Mycroft: unless you can turn into a team of rhose things, I dont think it is goinf to be enough,  Cloak has that giant hand he can do; I dont know what we are going to need... 

Okay, Magnus has arrived, as has everyone else.  Magnus, the tree looks fine to you.

What's the matter, Detective?

What is going on here-?

There is a tremendous craking and groaning and the tree leans again, the other way this time.  Some of the citizens have noticed and are looking panicked....

The team leaps into crowd control and helps everyone move into Founders Park.  Red Cloak sets up q mystic wall as a barrier to keep people at least one hundred feet from the tree in case it falls.

It rights itself, then leans the other way, then leans,backwards, flopping around faster and faster, the truck craking and groaning-  suddenly. One massive root erupts from the ground and,befins to push against the soil.  Another root rips free, then another, then two more-!  The tree befins to rise up-  up, up, up, towering into the sky...

It stands, fully erect, the gaudy LED star atop it almost invisible nearly two hundred feet above you....

And thus began the Terri of the Christmas Treant....

More later; I can't stare at this tiny keyboard anymore....

The latest adventure I ran in my "Avant Guard" campaign ended with the PCs blowing up the campaign. I'm not upset: They triggered a land mine I planted in the campaign practically from the beginning.

Time travel is a big thing in the campaign. All the PCs were recruited from various doomed futures in order to prevent those futures from happening. Two PCs had been in a previous iteration of the team, in a timeline that was erased. They have seen hints that recent history has been changed other times, too.

So, in the course of the adventure the PCs captured a villain called Ravager, who wears a plasma-tech battlesuit: plasma blasters, plasma jets for flight, plasma force field for protection. He's been around practically from the start of the Superheroic Age (in this campaign, 2000) and most plasma super-tech is based on Ravager's -- though everybody knows that he was just a grad student who stole the tech from his faculty advisor, a leading plasma researcher, then killed him and destroyed any records of the tech. Other people heard them arguing.

One of the PCs works at a scientific research company. Another scientist there, Dr. Marilyn Jones, specialized in plasma research, trying to reconstruct it all so it can be mass produced instead of held by a few rogue gadgeteers. She's also interested in time travel: A previous adventure had her kidnapped because of her research in sending information back in time through a standing plasma wave.

The fight happened at the research facility, and Dr. Jones helped out by shooting Ravager in the back with an experimental plasma blaster she kludged together... but that was very good at penetrating Ravager's force field. It comes out that she's studied him. No surprise there. She also *hates* him. But that doesn't stop the PCs from handing her Ravager's damaged blasty-suit until the Feds and the lawyers say otherwise. She is, after all, the person best qualified to study it.

At the end of the adventure, the PCs are tying up loose ends, trying to find why people did what they did. The PC who works at the research lab walks in on Dr. Jones, who is wearing the blasty-suit. She's stripped down the costume part and attached other bits that he recognizes from her temporal physics experiments. He persuades her to explain what she's doing.

Doctor Jones is Ravager's daughter, though she hasn't seen him since she was young and he went on the lam as a super-criminal. Her mother changed their names. She believes she can use the modified suit to go back in time to stop her father from killing the great scientist, stealing the tech and becoming Ravager. Everyone will be better off.

The PCs are dubious. Time travel is dangerous, you never know how else history will change, etc. They persuade her not to trigger the time-jump just yet.

And history changes.

Doctor Jones vanishes. There is no Doctor Jones. There never was. Ravager is gone from his jail cell. That villain never existed, either. I call for EGO rolls for each PC, as the life history they remember is overlain by a second set of memories of another timeline. Not everyone succeeds. This is not good for them.

Here's what the PCs can now never learn, because they didn't ask the right questions when they had the chance. Ravager didn't invent the tech. Neither did the scientist he supposedly stole it from and killed. One night a massive power surge blacked out half the city of Toronto, where he then lived and worked, as a badly burned woman wearing a fried high-tech suit appeared near him and collapsed. If he'd worked harder to call paramedics, she might have lived. As it was, she died of her burns. He hid the body and took the suit to study. His faculty advisor found him studying the advanced tech, and they quarreled...

I created Ravager very early in designing the Avant Guard setting. I introduced the character of Dr. Jones as soon as the PC began working at the lab. Slowly planted the seeds of the climactic scene, then let the PCs influence Dr. Jones' choice. I made no attempt to influence *their* choice.

So the setting's history has changed. The causality loop of Ravager's life has been broken. As a long-time villain, he interacted with many other villains and heroes, whose lives all changed now that he never existed. I now have quite a lot of work to do to reboot the campaign. I am an idiot.

Has anyone else blown up their campaign, or had the players do it?

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

A few times, sadly. The one that probably burned me the most was a long running campaign where one of the players just locked up on me after I gave them a spotlight. The events that led up to it and the eventual disappointment was enough to kill the whole game for me.

Well, Dean, probably not in the way you are asking for, but...  Sort of?

I think I may have told this story before, but my first Traveller GM, Lars: he took a summer off and went back to Austria to see his family.

When he came back, he had this pair of 4-inch binders just _packed_ with notes and maps and new NPCs and who-knows-what-else.  He had spent a lot of the summer brainstorming what was to be his Magnum Opus of a Traveller campaign- something that would have us see half the universe and ultimately looking upon the face of God....

At least, to hear him tell it (a couple of years later). 

We were all incredibly stoked!  We made up new characters- we even took some of his advice when selecring careers and skills charts upon which to roll.  That cant be stressed enough: we were so excited to sive into this massive new universe that we took GM advice _without balk or complaint_!

Two hours into the first session finds us in serious trouble and on the run- mistaken identity, I beleive it was, followed up by a solid frame while our reputations were low.  We had to get out of Dodge, and fast, if we were to have any hope of clearing our names!

Lars was quite excited- he already had four or five bookmarks in the first notebook (which he had been,dlipping through furiously, feeding us situations and flavor text), then he paused, grabbed the second book while we were warming up the engines for an illegal departure.  We lifted off as he oulled the book open near the center, just soread enough to get his fingers  in it.  "So!" He began, excited by the turn of events.  "Which way is it that you think will run to escape your circumstance?"

In unison, we all shouted happily "coreward!" Followed by various ckaims about just how fast we were goinf to go!

Lars's face fell completely off.  He sat there, stunned, dumbstruck, and just stared.

Finally he sobered up, made a big show out of xloaing both books, got up, walked to the kitchen, held them in outstretched hands, and dropped them both into the trash can.

"I think, my friends," he started, never actually looking at us, "that we are done for tonight, surely.  (As a anon-native- but excellent- English user, he had some rather odd structures and turns of phrase).  I think it is the best thing to be stopoing here at this point for tonight.  We should plan on not  grouping up again for I am thinking maybe three weeks."  He turned then to look at us.  "I should be enough sober again by three weeks from now.  Okay?"

Then he went into the living room, flopped down on the couch, and turned the TV on.

8 hours ago, DShomshak said:

The latest adventure I ran in my "Avant Guard" campaign ended with the PCs blowing up the campaign. I'm not upset: They triggered a land mine I planted in the campaign practically from the beginning.

Time travel is a big thing in the campaign. All the PCs were recruited from various doomed futures in order to prevent those futures from happening. Two PCs had been in a previous iteration of the team, in a timeline that was erased. They have seen hints that recent history has been changed other times, too.

So, in the course of the adventure the PCs captured a villain called Ravager, who wears a plasma-tech battlesuit: plasma blasters, plasma jets for flight, plasma force field for protection. He's been around practically from the start of the Superheroic Age (in this campaign, 2000) and most plasma super-tech is based on Ravager's -- though everybody knows that he was just a grad student who stole the tech from his faculty advisor, a leading plasma researcher, then killed him and destroyed any records of the tech. Other people heard them arguing.

One of the PCs works at a scientific research company. Another scientist there, Dr. Marilyn Jones, specialized in plasma research, trying to reconstruct it all so it can be mass produced instead of held by a few rogue gadgeteers. She's also interested in time travel: A previous adventure had her kidnapped because of her research in sending information back in time through a standing plasma wave.

The fight happened at the research facility, and Dr. Jones helped out by shooting Ravager in the back with an experimental plasma blaster she kludged together... but that was very good at penetrating Ravager's force field. It comes out that she's studied him. No surprise there. She also *hates* him. But that doesn't stop the PCs from handing her Ravager's damaged blasty-suit until the Feds and the lawyers say otherwise. She is, after all, the person best qualified to study it.

At the end of the adventure, the PCs are tying up loose ends, trying to find why people did what they did. The PC who works at the research lab walks in on Dr. Jones, who is wearing the blasty-suit. She's stripped down the costume part and attached other bits that he recognizes from her temporal physics experiments. He persuades her to explain what she's doing.

Doctor Jones is Ravager's daughter, though she hasn't seen him since she was young and he went on the lam as a super-criminal. Her mother changed their names. She believes she can use the modified suit to go back in time to stop her father from killing the great scientist, stealing the tech and becoming Ravager. Everyone will be better off.

The PCs are dubious. Time travel is dangerous, you never know how else history will change, etc. They persuade her not to trigger the time-jump just yet.

And history changes.

Doctor Jones vanishes. There is no Doctor Jones. There never was. Ravager is gone from his jail cell. That villain never existed, either. I call for EGO rolls for each PC, as the life history they remember is overlain by a second set of memories of another timeline. Not everyone succeeds. This is not good for them.

Here's what the PCs can now never learn, because they didn't ask the right questions when they had the chance. Ravager didn't invent the tech. Neither did the scientist he supposedly stole it from and killed. One night a massive power surge blacked out half the city of Toronto, where he then lived and worked, as a badly burned woman wearing a fried high-tech suit appeared near him and collapsed. If he'd worked harder to call paramedics, she might have lived. As it was, she died of her burns. He hid the body and took the suit to study. His faculty advisor found him studying the advanced tech, and they quarreled...

I created Ravager very early in designing the Avant Guard setting. I introduced the character of Dr. Jones as soon as the PC began working at the lab. Slowly planted the seeds of the climactic scene, then let the PCs influence Dr. Jones' choice. I made no attempt to influence *their* choice.

So the setting's history has changed. The causality loop of Ravager's life has been broken. As a long-time villain, he interacted with many other villains and heroes, whose lives all changed now that he never existed. I now have quite a lot of work to do to reboot the campaign. I am an idiot.

Dean Shomshak

Yes. Thought it was a Fantasy Hero Campaign, and I detailed how all the players objected when I killed a favorite NPC to demonstrate a villain’s trap in another thread. The players walked, and that was how a 20 year FH campaign ended. 

Chris Goodwin was not in the ill-fated Hughes Academy campaign I wiped out.  He was in the Chicago Watch, though, and I might end up publishing that campaign some day because I really liked how that turned out.

I never stopped learning as a GM, each game I think was a little better by reading, playing other peoples' games, thinking back on mistakes I made, etc.  Angrily murdering all the PCs in a snit was not a high point as a GM. 😕

I blew up my most recent campaign and ended my association with RPG net because one of the player said I wasn't giving him enough information. I literally told them the premise of the campaign, what was going on, where they had to go, and mulligan'd the fact that apparently they flew into the wrong airport so they could pick up the load, and was doing write ups on the NPC thread. The guy is like you're trolling, and I'm like it's the port authority of NY and NJ. He's like how was I supposed to know that. I was like you're not even trying. Never went back to the board

CES   

On 12/28/2022 at 1:18 AM, Duke Bushido said:

Well, Dean, probably not in the way you are asking for, but...  Sort of?

I think I may have told this story before, but my first Traveller GM, Lars: he took a summer off and went back to Austria to see his family.

When he came back, he had this pair of 4-inch binders just _packed_ with notes and maps and new NPCs and who-knows-what-else.  He had spent a lot of the summer brainstorming what was to be his Magnum Opus of a Traveller campaign- something that would have us see half the universe and ultimately looking upon the face of God....

At least, to hear him tell it (a couple of years later). 

We were all incredibly stoked!  We made up new characters- we even took some of his advice when selecring careers and skills charts upon which to roll.  That cant be stressed enough: we were so excited to sive into this massive new universe that we took GM advice _without balk or complaint_!

Two hours into the first session finds us in serious trouble and on the run- mistaken identity, I beleive it was, followed up by a solid frame while our reputations were low.  We had to get out of Dodge, and fast, if we were to have any hope of clearing our names!

Lars was quite excited- he already had four or five bookmarks in the first notebook (which he had been,dlipping through furiously, feeding us situations and flavor text), then he paused, grabbed the second book while we were warming up the engines for an illegal departure.  We lifted off as he oulled the book open near the center, just soread enough to get his fingers  in it.  "So!" He began, excited by the turn of events.  "Which way is it that you think will run to escape your circumstance?"

In unison, we all shouted happily "coreward!" Followed by various ckaims about just how fast we were goinf to go!

Lars's face fell completely off.  He sat there, stunned, dumbstruck, and just stared.

Finally he sobered up, made a big show out of xloaing both books, got up, walked to the kitchen, held them in outstretched hands, and dropped them both into the trash can.

"I think, my friends," he started, never actually looking at us, "that we are done for tonight, surely.  (As a anon-native- but excellent- English user, he had some rather odd structures and turns of phrase).  I think it is the best thing to be stopoing here at this point for tonight.  We should plan on not  grouping up again for I am thinking maybe three weeks."  He turned then to look at us.  "I should be enough sober again by three weeks from now.  Okay?"

Then he went into the living room, flopped down on the couch, and turned the TV on.

I'm even more stunned that a GM putting that much thought into a campaign did not anticipate as simple a thing as alternative directions players might choose to go, or couldn't improvise circumstances that would prompt them to change direction. Makes me wonder if you weren't just as well off that the campaign didn't happen.

Back to the original question of the thread: There are two distinct types of superhero campaigns.

One is a single-axis campaign and it is usually set in a pretty normal setting against which a war rages between two powerful factions. Sometimes, the war is like vs like as in Autobots v Decepticons or Order of the Phoenix v Death Eaters or X-Men v Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Pick a side and join the fight.

The other type is the typical kitchen sink campaign and it features a mishmash of character types and an equally disparate collection of adversaries. In a typical multiplayer campaign, any enemy faction has to be strong enough to avoid getting wiped out by a hero team and there are usually at least one type of adversary for every type of hero, so by nature, there are usually more villains than heroes. What keeps the world from spiraling into dystopia is that villains don't typically work and play well together, so they are not always amenable to teaming up against the heroes.

52 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm even more stunned that a GM putting that much thought into a campaign did not anticipate as simple a thing as alternative directions players might choose to go, or couldn't improvise circumstances that would prompt them to change direction. Makes me wonder if you weren't just as well off that the campaign didn't happen.

Nah-

Youre reading too much into it.

Lars had always had this hang up about getting us to go coreward.  Hw was fascinated by what might lie at the galactic core, where all the arms come together.

We had always worried that giving in to the pressure to go coreward was going to result in some philosophical Interstellar / Jodie Foster horsecrap in which we had _zero_ interest.  So, when given the chance to explore, we _always_ went outward.

Having seen the mountain of work he had piled into this campaign, we as one- and without any sort of communication between us- decided "wow.  That's a lot of work; maybe we should humor the guy this time."

Unbeknownst to us, he had finally decided to give up on us moving coreward, and had built the entire campaign (which he had even gone to the trouble to pin to _real_ star charts) on the idea that we were going to be headed for the edge.

Now consider the frustration and - if you're being honest with yourself- moment of absolute fury that resulted from this one scene.

We went on to play Traveller under Lars for three or four more years after that, up until he moved.

We never revisited that campaign.  We asked him about it a couple of times, and he explained that his heart just wasn't in it after "the event" happened.

Now I _am_ resonably certain that we did hit a lot of that prepared material over the next few years- repackaged and changed up a bit to fit whatever the current situation happened to be, etc.  Now to be clear, I only say that because that iis the economical decision _I_ would have made: never let such a vast amount of creative work to to waste, right?

How much did he get to use?  I can't say.  We never encountered God, or anyone we could mistake for God, and we never had an big philosophical moments or revelations about either our purpose or place in the universe, so I am reasonably certain he either didn't get to use all of that or at least finally understood that we (that group, anyway) didn't want to waste our escapism on exploring our insignificance.  (Which I guess also means he didn't get to use all of it), and he never really wanted to discuss that original planned campaign, even years later, so who knows?  Other than him, I mean.

9 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

We went on to play Traveller under Lars for three or four more years after that, up until he moved.

We never revisited that campaign.  We asked him about it a couple of times, and he explained that his heart just wasn't in it after "the event" happened.

Now I _am_ resonably certain that we did hit a lot of that prepared material over the next few years- repackaged and changed up a bit to fit whatever the current situation happened to be, etc.  Now to be clear, I only say that because that iis the economical decision _I_ would have made: never let such a vast amount of creative work to to waste, right?

How much did he get to use?  I can't say.  We never encountered God, or anyone we could mistake for God, and we never had an big philosophical moments or revelations about either our purpose or place in the universe, so I am reasonably certain he either didn't get to use all of that or at least finally understood that we (that group, anyway) didn't want to waste our escapism on exploring our insignificance.  (Which I guess also means he didn't get to use all of it), and he never really wanted to discuss that original planned campaign, even years later, so who knows?  Other than him, I mean.

The campaign sounds a lot like the Traveller crowd funded campaign that came out recently.  

22 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Really?

There is a crowd-funded Traveller version of Star Trek 5?

:rofl:

Oh it is almost Star Trek in more ways than one.  One of the GMs on the private RPG discord bought it, and is running it.  I am not in the game, but talk to the GM a fair amount. The adventure was the product of a recent successful crowd fund. It’s out for sale but the name escapes me.  

This is 3 years old but it does bring up an interesting point: people's concept and expectations of gaming are pretty fixed along certain kinds of lines, and Hero blows those lines to bits.  Its just tough to get them to understand the way some genres can actually be RPGs.  Most of the tropes of D&D-style games don't fit Superheroes, for example:

Party Roles (healer, tank, support, dps etc)

Treasures and loot

Dungeons

Leveling and steady advancement of power

Questionable ethics (thieves, assassins, burning down a village that was rude, etc)

Champions is more about the story and the use of powers than the setting.  The setting is super familiar in most cases: today.  Its a different approach to gaming.  Its not hard to help change minds, its just a barrier.

I've noticed in Champions Online that many of the players are following those D&D-esque conventions. Of course fantasy video games are heavily influenced by D&D, and many CO players come from that background, and aren't really familiar with comic books, or even the movie version of the superhero genre. I've lost count of all the wizards, elves, demons and vampires running around video Millennium City. :rolleyes: