2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

I point out that there are questions about whether there will be a 2020/21 season.

I think it is more reasonable to say, there is wishful thinking that there will be a season.

Well...ok, maybe so.  With no fans in the seats, I suppose it's possible, but the staff size worries me.  You get 1 person in regular contact with the team, the whole team will have to go into quarantine.  Players...50.  Coaches...12?  Strength and conditioning assistants.  Clubhouse and equipment staff.  Grounds crew and facilities maintenance.  

And that's regular season.  Training camp????  90 players, many more trainer types, food service types, housekeeping types.  Would the physical stress of training camp lead to higher risk of infection in the event of exposure?  

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Todd Gurley released.

Clay Matthews released.

Sean Payton tests positive for COVID-19.

Matthews wasn't a big shock...11 years at LB is high mileage.  Gurley was;  but the reporting is, it was his contract conditions.  his bonus and salary for NEXT year would go to fully guaranteed.  

Joe Flacco cut, with reason given as failed physical.  Which might be a bit of an excuse;  Broncos' doctors haven't been able to examine him recently.  Potential grievance there, tho, I think.

Badger, you're right that it's early, but the experts are expecting this will not go away soon.  The impact of the measures we're under now, is quite severe.  It probably is not supportable for that long.  The expert opinion is we may see cyclic surges...relax when the new cases are down until there's an upswing, and there will, they believe, be upswings.  If we're talking strictly local, like schools, it might be plausible to work around this.  But in football, as tightly joined by the schedule as the league is, it's fair to treat the entire league as one single, large, distributed group.  If one team gets hit by a local/regional lockdown, or their area gets hit with a travel block...then what?

Yeah, I just saying not to commit to one way or another.  When it comes to the public, it has been handled badly, with hysteria sweeping in well before the disease.  Some of my worries right now, is that the panic will end up causing more fallout than the disease itself.    

• 2 weeks later...

Former Seahawks QB Tarvaris Jackson was killed in an auto accident last Saturday.  He was 36.

Rather mediocre as a quarterback, Jackson deserves an MVP mention for one the greatest comebacks in NFL playoff history... without playing a down.

The 2014 NFC championship game was between the Packers and the Seahawks in Seattle, and frankly, Russell Wilson stank it up for most of regulation, while the last five minutes was direct conjuration of raw chaos ... and the Packers tied it back up with a FG at 0:19 left in regulation.

And then came Tarvaris Jackson.

Pete Carroll sent Jackson out alone to the coin toss.

Which he won.  Which he had done every other time he'd gone out for a toss.

Seattle took the ball, and drove the length of the field with redemptive long passes by Wilson to Doug Baldwin and Jerome Kearse, the last scoring a TD to win the game 28-22 without Green Bay ever touching the ball.  But without Jackson ... who knows.

RIP, sir.

I got to see the 2018 game between the Chiefs and the Rams a few days ago, on YouTube. Which was quite fascinating. It was weird that a game with 105 career points was most notable for aggressive defense.

Neither team was quite the same after that game, but the Chiefs did win the Super Bowl last season. The Chiefs are looking to repeat, while the Rams now have a quarterback controversy.