Roleplaying in the Age of Covid-19

King Red

Hello everyone,

Our Friendly Local Game Store has ended in-store gaming until further notice. I feel gratitude it is still in business in the recession that has just started. Are you still doing role playing games? Will you all meet in person, or will you practice social distancing and meet online instead?

Live long and prosper!

Our gaming group; has long since transitioned to Discord as we are spread out across four states. If you considered posting a flyer for date, time and virtual location at the store? This way players can still rally, at least online. 

One up shot of being locked down, I was able to write a more expansive one shot for this month's adventure seed. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, whitekeys said:

What's better... having a gaming group that fell apart as a result of pandemic, or not having one at all? lol

Depends on the group. I've been in groups that drove me away because of the attitudes of the behavior of some of the people there. In those cases, solo gaming, or even not gaming at all,  is much preferable.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:12 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

With my local game convention postponed and the gathering limit almost certainly shutting down on-side gaming at Guardian, I would be interested in learning how to do this. And where can I get the mod?

You will need to purchase a license (or set of them) for Tabletop Simulator.  Steam often has sales on multi-pack licenses.  Here is a link to TTS on Steam

Once you have installed TTS on your computer you will need to get the Hero System mod for TTS.  This is in the Steam Workshop.

If you have a copy of Hero Designer and characters that were built in HD, you can use an export that Brennall created.  He has those on GitHub here.  This part is not 100% necessary - it makes playing easier.  The table comes with good dice rollers that are Hero specific.

As for creating terrain/scenes you have many options:

• Something like the marker maps and you just quickly sketch something up
  • Pre generated digital map that you put on the table
  • Take a pre generated digital map and make it look 3d.  I would recommend subscribing to the Murder Hobo Show on YouTube
  • Poke around on the TTS Steam Workshop and find scenes other people have built and take them - they are free. 
  • Build your own scene using models that are available via the Steam Workshop.  You will literally find hundreds of figures (90% are for fantasy characters).  There are hundreds of models of everything from rocks, trees, hills, torches, castle parts, buildings, towns, ships, etc.

Does this all take time to do?  Yes.  I was building 2.5d terrain for my face-to-face game and that took more time/money to do than TTS has taken.

My group has 2 active GMs right now and two more getting ready to run.  When we finish the current season, we will return to my campaign.  I have spent the time building up the overall plot for the middle part of the epic story they are in.  Which helped me put together an appropriate set of scenes.  Along the way I have 'overbuilt' scenes because I know my players will go wandering a direction I didn't consider.

We have moved to Tabletop Arena for boardgames.  Not a huge selection of games but made to play games rather than replicate a tabletop experience.  We have had a blast.

on roleplay we have gone down the roll20/Discord route.  I kind of hate Discord but have been using that on my phone to chat while using the laptop and a spare monitor for the roleplay and it has worked pretty well.

The biggest issue we have identified is the inclination to put too much work into making the play interface as good as it could be; far in excess of anything we seek to achieve at in person games.  That can, counter-intuitively, put the technology between the players and the game experience...  Sometimes you need to just let it flow - voices and few handouts on the screen with almost everything else imagined.

There are times where a battlemat is useful - but you can quickly sketch something on the screen and use a few icons to manage the game needs.  Doesn't ALWAYS have to look beautiful.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

I am up for online gaming. Little to do otherwise. Gaming is made all the easier being retired as well. Loads of past experience here. Anyone starting something, do let me know. I much prefer Hero System, and my favorite genre is fantasy, but beggars cannot be choosers and I'll take what I can get. I am involved in a Play by Post game nowadays and there is a supers game starting up in a couple of weeks which I am much looking forward to. But there are many days in a week.  😉 

Did a DND 5e session a couple weekends back on google hangouts. Since then I have discovered you can do die rolls in the chat using “/roll 3d6” and similar commands. It’s no frills but it works. 

Wish I could remember how to play MERP, last game was literally 34 years ago. 

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Did a DND 5e session a couple weekends back on google hangouts. Since then I have discovered you can do die rolls in the chat using “/roll 3d6” and similar commands. It’s no frills but it works. 

Wish I could remember how to play MERP, last game was literally 34 years ago. 

I'm helping a few folks learn the system. I can help you as well, if you wish.

Maybe this article will jog your memory.

1 minute ago, L. Marcus said:

No, the RSwAF.

Do the Swedes still make their own jet fighters? I understand one of their designs, at least, was very good but almost never saw combat.

I'm thinking of running an online game of Champions Now. It has me inspired, but I don't know quite how to do it that retains verbal interaction. I don't have money for any of the virtual tabletops other than the copy of Tabletop Simulator I already own. And that may not be ideal. But at least it lets you amusingly clone and roll as many d6s as you need, and isn't like the Dungeon Crawl Classics line that requires things like d5, d7 and d24. Once I have that settled I may start a game.