Anti-aging therapy on the horizon?

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.07.082917v1

Summary: injection of blood plasma from young rats into old rats leads to substantial reversal of effects of aging.  

Obviously it's early and the results need to be reproduced, but I expect this may the first of many such breakthroughs along the path to real lifespan extension.  It's hard to conceive of something that would transform society more than both extended longevity and extended youthfulness.  

Thought I'd add a hopeful bit of news amidst a seemingly relentless nadir of bad news this year. :)

3 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.07.082917v1

Summary: injection of blood plasma from young rats into old rats leads to substantial reversal of effects of aging.  

Obviously it's early and the results need to be reproduced, but I expect this may the first of many such breakthroughs along the path to real lifespan extension.  It's hard to conceive of something that would transform society more than both extended longevity and extended youthfulness.  

Thought I'd add a hopeful bit of news amidst a seemingly relentless nadir of bad news this year. :)

<eeyore>I wonder if viable treatments derived from these experiments will be exclusive to the most affluent among us.</eeyore>

14 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

<eeyore>I wonder if viable treatments derived from these experiments will be exclusive to the most affluent among us.</eeyore>

Possibly.  But generally economies of scale and expiration of patent periods tend to mean that eventually treatments would become affordable to the masses.  

From a gaming standpoint, one could have an Everyman extended lifespan, 1 point(200 years or so), and then have Age: 80+ and Age: 120+ as viable complications.  It would also explain why everyone looks the same age in comic book universes, even when characters have been around 60+ years.  

This can't end well. It just can't. The rich are already living significantly longer than in the past without the intent displayed by deliberate anti-aging treatment -- just because their money gives them access to better care in general. Add anagathic medications only they can afford and we reach a point where a longevity gap of forty to fifty years is conceivable.

15 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Watch the Netflix show "Altered Carbon" if you want a preview of what the world will look like when people don't die...particularly the rich.

That was a good show!  Although in that case the longevity of the rich was less directly taken from the poor.  The class relationship was more of a callous indifference.  Just like today.