RIP Dame Diana Rigg

https://nypost.com/2020/09/10/diana-rigg-star-of-the-avengers-and-game-of-thrones-dead-at-82/

Sad news, but you have to admit, she went out with a bang as Lady Olena Tyrell.  I'm also one of those old enough to remember her from the 60's TV series "The Avengers".  Snarky, smart, and damned hot. RIP.

24 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/10/diana-rigg-star-of-the-avengers-and-game-of-thrones-dead-at-82/

Sad news, but you have to admit, she went out with a bang as Lady Olena Tyrell.  I'm also one of those old enough to remember her from the 60's TV series "The Avengers".  Snarky, smart, and damned hot. RIP.

The Queen of Thorns was a wonderful character and Dame Rigg was fantastic as her.

Executive producer D. B. Weiss said of Rigg's final scene as Olenna, "What I love about the way she plays the scene is that even though you leave the scene knowing she’s soon going to be dead shortly after you cut to black you still feel like she won. She’s probably the only character to win her own death scene."-Wikipedia

Sad indeed for an actress who was good on stage, television and cinema although she did not do many movies.

The Avengers still holds up after 50 years and she was an inspiration to others. Emma Peel was a fighter and could be independent of Steed.

She is a icon to cult and genre television vis The Avengers and Game of Thrones and also serious drama like Mother Courage on stage and an 80s version of Bleak House on the BBC.

She was the best thing in the worst Bond movie On Her Majesty's Secret Service and unlike other Bond girls had a career post the Bond movie.

If you get the chance to see the movie The Assassination Bureau which also stars Oliver Reed and Telly Savalas, give it a watch. She was also in Theatre of Blood with Vincent Price.

RIP

6 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Sad indeed for an actress who was good on stage, television and cinema although she did not do many movies.

The Avengers still holds up after 50 years and she was an inspiration to others. Emma Peel was a fighter and could be independent of Steed.

She is a icon to cult and genre television vis The Avengers and Game of Thrones and also serious drama like Mother Courage on stage and an 80s version of Bleak House on the BBC.

She was the best thing in the worst Bond movie On Her Majesty's Secret Service and unlike other Bond girls had a career post the Bond movie.

If you get the chance to see the movie The Assassination Bureau which also stars Oliver Reed and Telly Savalas, give it a watch. She was also in Theatre of Blood with Vincent Price.

RIP

I grew up on the Avengers and Mrs. Peel. She would not have wanted to be remembered mainly for that, but she had an undeiable cultural impact in the role.

I didn't watch Game of Thrones, but I've seen clips of her role in it. For some reason, painfully blunt old ladies seem to have become a very common trope -- witness Maggie Smith's Dowager Countess in Downton Abbey. And I remember her turn in the Laurence Olivier version of King Lear.

She may not have wanted to be remembered for Emma Peel, but if you think about it...there are far worse legacies.  I remember them vaguely, but consider.  Name the next competent, professional female action character...movies or TV...who wasn't at root just a foil or eye candy.  Oh, and was NOT a villain.  (I'm specifically thinking of Joan Collins as Alexis Harrington.)

One could probably extend it to female non-action characters...I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but they were scarce in those days.  My memory is that Steed was actually something of the distraction, so Peel could handle the hard stuff.

That equality between Steed and Peel was remarkable for the era. Both were very capable of taking care of themselves, and neither took the lead in the cases they worked. Certainly they flirted with each other pretty blatantly, but there was no evidence they were lovers. Steed always referred to her with a respectful, "Mrs. Peel."

I remember the aftermath of a scene in which Peel had beaten up a couple of thugs, one of them nursing a sore jaw lamented, "Oh, she's thoroughly liberated, that one." :snicker:

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

That equality between Steed and Peel was remarkable for the era. Both were very capable of taking care of themselves, and neither took the lead in the cases they worked. Certainly they flirted with each other pretty blatantly, but there was no evidence they were lovers. Steed always referred to her with a respectful, "Mrs. Peel."

For non-lovers they sure flirted a lot, quite openly. That was one of the appeals in retrospect. If there was a relationship it was a.) monogamous, and b.) very, very hot. This was a rarity in an age of randy superspies who saw women as toys to be used and disposed of.

Regardless, Diana and Patrick Macnee had some of the best chemistry ever seen on a TV show. Even few movies could match it.