The Old Folks Home

Starlord

13 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Comics that cost $0.35 and miniatures made of lead. 

The cost increase from 25 cents to 30 cents to quickly 35 cents was a killer.

I remember trying to find names and addresses of different printers to recommend to them so that they could reduce their costs.

10 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I remember buying comics for $0.12. In fact I remember when typewriters had a key for the "cents" sign.

I remember comics were 12 cents. But I didn't have access to money until comics were 25 cents.

My parents weren't much for buying unnecessary things like comics and my dad actively discouraged things like imagination, fantasy, fiction, and most anything that wasn't grounded in his philosophy of "poverty is noble and struggling is a sign of virtue".

Baseball games that ran 1:45 to 2 hours...

8-9 man pitching staffs

World Series games *in the daytime*

NBA Finals games were still shown on tape delay

heck, for that matter...not shown at all.  I remember listening to the radio broadcast in 1970 when Jerry West hit the 60 footer.  OK, it's possible we chose to listen to the radio broadcast because it was Chick Hearn, the best basketball broadcaster ever.  But certainly...if it was on TV, it wasn't heralded.

In fact, in general, sports TV was...pretty limited.  MLB:  the game of the week on Saturday.  That was it.  NBA:  I think live coverage of the later playoffs and finals kicked in a bit later...mid 70s?  The NFL had their Sunday slots and got the coverage because of that.  BUT, they still got hammered with the Heidi move.  Regular season games were broadcast on local channels, off-network...and quite often with spotty reach and mediocre signal quality.  Even for the day.  And NOT every game by any means.  The Dodgers trumpeted their *radio* coverage;  the TV coverage was an afterthought.

1 minute ago, unclevlad said:

Baseball games that ran 1:45 to 2 hours...

8-9 man pitching staffs

World Series games *in the daytime*

NBA Finals games were still shown on tape delay

heck, for that matter...not shown at all.  I remember listening to the radio broadcast in 1970 when Jerry West hit the 60 footer.  OK, it's possible we chose to listen to the radio broadcast because it was Chick Hearn, the best basketball broadcaster ever.  But certainly...if it was on TV, it wasn't heralded.

In fact, in general, sports TV was...pretty limited.  MLB:  the game of the week on Saturday.  That was it.  NBA:  I think live coverage of the later playoffs and finals kicked in a bit later...mid 70s?  The NFL had their Sunday slots and got the coverage because of that.  BUT, they still got hammered with the Heidi move.  Regular season games were broadcast on local channels, off-network...and quite often with spotty reach and mediocre signal quality.  Even for the day.  And NOT every game by any means.  The Dodgers trumpeted their *radio* coverage;  the TV coverage was an afterthought.

When I was a teen, we followed our state university's college basketball religiously. Mot of the time they showed it on TV tape delay on the local station after prime time and the news.

But when they showed it live on TV, we watched the game on TV with the sound muted and listened to the radio.

That was in the days of real basketball with no shot clock and no three point line.

21 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I remember typewriters. :)

When the Resident Evil 2 video game was remade in 2019 (the original having come out in 1998), I noticed that saving the game still involved finding a typewriter within the game world. If played on the "Hardcore" mode, you also had to locate a typewriter ribbon before you could save a game. I wonder how many players had no clue what that was supposed to be.

In a similar vein, I wonder how many games include the numerous Easter eggs that you could only find be clicking practically *everywhere*...and how many players that would go to the trouble of finding them.

Argh...games that *didn't* have automaps !!!!!
Sprite-based graphics only...at EGA or maybe VGA resolutions.

Action movies with no CGI whatsoever.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Mr. Rogers

Fred Rogers got a big boost in recent years due to his movie biography and the Tom Hanks film based on his life. You can find episodes of his show and other materials on YouTube. I think he'll be in the public consciousness for quite a while longer.