Babylon 5

Spence

4 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Shhhh. We're having the Starship Troopers argument again. 

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

Let’s not.

I'm afraid that train has left the yard without an engineer in the cab.  Anyone know how to get a hold of Denzel Washington and Chris Pine?  They're needed again.

Okay, let's assume the worst case scenario, that JMS has lost his marbles and that the CW is going to drive the new incarnation of Babylon 5 in the younger/angstier/more gratuitous direction.

It will still be better than Stargate UniverseStar Trek: Voyager, Enterprise, and Picard. It will certainly be written better.

8 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Okay, let's assume the worst case scenario, that JMS has lost his marbles and that the CW is going to drive the new incarnation of Babylon 5 in the younger/angstier/more gratuitous direction.

It will still be better than Stargate UniverseStar Trek: Voyager, Enterprise, and Picard. It will certainly be written better.

JMS was a story editor on The Real Ghostbusters, which turned out some fun episodes. In theory, that was written for kids, but with titles like "The Collect Call of Cthulhu", it really wasn't meant just for them.

He also wrote the story that turned into the screenplay for the first Thor movie. For his efforts, he got a cameo in the film. He's the guy in the pickup who tries to pick up the hammer once it lands in the desert.

jms.jpg

Seriously, though ... written by JMS, directed by Branagh? How could you go wrong?

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

This thread is getting confusing…does anyone know when the new JMS Starship Troopers movie is coming out? Has the trailer been released yet? 

no.

IIRC i saw the clip when the guy I don't know talked about it for a few minutes as they went into some award show.  In 2019???

He only mentioned that he had gotten the gig an was in the beginning stages.

Then the coof.

I wish I could find the clip again.

58 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Unlike Paul Verhoven, I expect that J. Michael Straczynski has actually read Starship Troopers. If he were to undertake a remake of the movie, I expect that it would be a much better film. Not that that's a particularly high bar to clear.

After that could JMS remake Highlander 2? Thx. 

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

He also wrote the story that turned into the screenplay for the first Thor movie. For his efforts, he got a cameo in the film. He's the guy in the pickup who tries to pick up the hammer once it lands in the desert.

jms.jpg

Seriously, though ... written by JMS, directed by Branagh? How could you go wrong?

Hey, I really liked the first Thor movie. Most of the New Mexico parts didn't do a lot for me, but the stuff set in Asgard struck me as very cool.

With the CW up for sale, it's unclear what is going on , or will be after the sale. Right now, Broadcast Television as a whole, has a cratering viewership, aside from live sports, because of those 10 year sports contracts are still mostly in effect.  But the CW'sa rating are pretty awful with Batgirl having nationwide ratings of around 3-400,000 per episode these days. All of the CW shows, save Superman & Lois have sub-par writing, and less and less competent productions. THis is a long drop from the first two seasons of Arrow, and The Flash. but that is now approaching a decade ago.  I think the CW sale is going to take a long time and disruptions are going to delay a whole bunch of projects. I do hope JMS succeeds, but we'll just have to wait.

14 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

With the CW up for sale, it's unclear what is going on , or will be after the sale. Right now, Broadcast Television as a whole, has a cratering viewership, aside from live sports, because of those 10 year sports contracts are still mostly in effect.  But the CW'sa rating are pretty awful with Batgirl having nationwide ratings of around 3-400,000 per episode these days. All of the CW shows, save Superman & Lois have sub-par writing, and less and less competent productions. THis is a long drop from the first two seasons of Arrow, and The Flash. but that is now approaching a decade ago.  I think the CW sale is going to take a long time and disruptions are going to delay a whole bunch of projects. I do hope JMS succeeds, but we'll just have to wait.

There was a time when the CW shows were good and most of the TV that I made sure to record and watch was on the CW.  But then things just disintegrated to the point where they are now, bottom rung and laughing stock. 

I believe that the actual powers that be who own the CW recognized this and had begun to try an turn it around with shows like Superman & Lois.  But the issue is that far too many of the CW staff/employees firmly frozen into their current content style that keeps trying to repeat the same thing and expect a different result.  Plus the almost mandatory requirement to vilify the potential customer because they are simply not interested in you product.  I believe everyone is a misogynist now, though I may have missed the new diatribe.

IIRC CW came about when UPN failed and was merged into another venture with Warner Brothers.  The new CW then changed it's content and introduced a lot of successful genre shows.  

I am most likely wrong, but I am betting that the "sale" of CW will end in the creation of another network and facilitate the ownership (whoever that winds up being) the ability to shed/fire/replace the CW creative and management staff. 

Since the 30's successful movies and later TV shows have been 90-95% story/plot/ENTERTAINMENT with 5-10% message.  Be it political or social. 

In the last 10 years or so that has become 90-95% political lecture with 5-10% poorly written superficial story.  With 0% entertainment and the movie/TV industry is hemorrhaging money. 

I am betting that we will see the CW be absorbed into a new entity with shows such as S&L and B5 setting the tone while allowing the remaining Arrowverse shows and staff to be cut loose.

Just an opinion of course.

The sale of the CW is directly related to the way that rights for the shows are handled after broadcast. It used to be that there was a large revenue stream provided by Netflix for the various shows, but that's drying up, as both parent companies are directing their produced material to their in-house streaming services (HBOMax and Paramount+). The broadcast side of things has never been profitable in and of itself, and the sale is really a way of cutting their losses as broadcast TV slowly dies.

I would not be surprised if something like the new B5 would be pulled off of any successor to the CW, and brought into HBOMax for distribution.

1 hour ago, Spence said:

Since the 30's successful movies and later TV shows have been 90-95% story/plot/ENTERTAINMENT with 5-10% message.  Be it political or social. 

In the last 10 years or so that has become 90-95% political lecture with 5-10% poorly written superficial story.  With 0% entertainment and the movie/TV industry is hemorrhaging money. 

It's been documented:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1637580991