What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

I had an attack of "pulpiness" recently and read a "Doc Savage" novel "The Land Of Terror". Fairly early and featuring a smoke that dissolves things and a "lost tropical island" south of New Zealand filled with dinosuars (of course !) Interesting in that we have a "Doc" who is much more prepared to kill criminals than I had ever thought. Maybe he got more into "delicate brain operations "in the later books ! Lots of fun and easy to read .

A tropical island south of New Zealand would be lost indeed.

Finished Thuvia, Maid of Mars via the recumbent bike. It was... uhm.. sort of there, to be honest. I'm also reading The Chessmen of Mars, which is more engaging (so far).

I had an attack of "pulpiness" recently and read a "Doc Savage" novel "The Land Of Terror". Fairly early and featuring a smoke that dissolves things and a "lost tropical island" south of New Zealand filled with dinosuars (of course !) Interesting in that we have a "Doc" who is much more prepared to kill criminals than I had ever thought. Maybe he got more into "delicate brain operations "in the later books ! Lots of fun and easy to read .

I used to have the old Bantom editions of Doc #1 -#98. Doc always had a problem with the innocent or bystanders being hurt. He never had a problem with unrepentent or resisting criminals getting wacked. That was the later PC whitewash.

Finished Thuvia' date=' Maid of Mars[/i'] via the recumbent bike. It was... uhm.. sort of there, to be honest. I'm also reading The Chessmen of Mars, which is more engaging (so far).

Great series for Pulpiness. Though the last book in the series doesn't hold up IMO. Also try ERB's Carson of Venus series. If you like the sword and science pulp style adventure series let me know. I can send/post an entire list of series and authors.

At the moment my collection of "Doc Savage" stands at 12 of the old single story "Bantam" editions,, four doubles,two "Golden Press" hardcovers,55 stories in "Bantam" multiple anthologies (between four and six stores in each anthology), two "Nostalgia Ventures" doubles in large, magazine type, format and six novels written in the 1990's (beginning with Philip Jose Farmer's "Escape From Loki"). I'm hoping to get more of the "Nostalgia Ventures" editions as they become available with stories that I don't already have !

It's not a book, but I read a neat story in The Year's Best SF No. 10 (I think) called "The Battle of York." The premise is that civilization fell in the United States and all records were destroyed. So, centuries later anthropologists try to reconstruct American history using the oral histories of the Americans' descendents.

The result is the tale of the hero General Washington, with his magic axe Valleyforge and circlet of stars given him by Betsy Ross the Starspinner, and his allies Dwight Ironhewer and Lafayette De Gaulle the Musketeer, fighting the Gauls and American Natives. At one point he fights a giant four-headed mountain, and then there is a culminating battle with the British Red Army.

It's quite clever. Don't remember the author however.

Incubus Dreams by Laurell K Hamilton. Too much sex' date=' not enough plot. For Anita Blake fans only.[/quote']

I read Danse Macabre this weekend while on the train. Ditto.

I really wouldn't mind all the sex if she tried to fit a little more actual plot into the books outside of her relationship angst and constant need for sex.

Drowned Wednesday by Garth Nix. Arthur Penhaligon has defeated Mr. Monday, and Grim Tuesday. Drowned Wednesday wants to give up her key. The problem is the other Morrow Days have turned her into a whale 126 miles long that eats everything in her path.

CES

"The Two Space War". Dave Grossman & Leo Frankowski Apart from their reverence for early twentieth century U S military technology and the cheap shots that they delight in taking at some other S F writers along the way this isn't a bad "space opera".

I've recently finished the third Sookie Stackhouse book and am halfway through the fourth.

It's like Anita Blake, but with more plot and less sex ;-p

Fair bit of racism though - it was somewhat amazing to me that is was still a current issue in the background of the setting.

I've recently finished the third Sookie Stackhouse book and am halfway through the fourth.

It's like Anita Blake, but with more plot and less sex ;-p

Fair bit of racism though - it was somewhat amazing to me that is was still a current issue in the background of the setting.

That the one in Lousy Anna? Yep, still a lot of racial avoidence in the Old South. Not so much institutionalized, but a lot of "would you let *your* kids play with one of them?" Stuff.

I just finished Echoes of the Well of Souls. Finally getting around to reading the second Well series. Was...unimpressed. Continuety suffered, characters forgot things they had known earlier in the book (not as in plot point forgetting, but as in "Last chapter I knew this person's background, now I am wondering what their secret is" kind of forgetting.

Lots of exposition for the reader, where some character reads a travel guide to the protagonists/readers. Chalker is a good enough writer not to have to do that.

Also, the usual Chalker themes pop up: Slavery, transgenderism, you know.

Chalker is a good writer, and the story was gripping, but I still felt he's told better stories.

Midas

I just finished Echoes of the Well of Souls. Finally getting around to reading the second Well series. Was...unimpressed. Continuety suffered, characters forgot things they had known earlier in the book (not as in plot point forgetting, but as in "Last chapter I knew this person's background, now I am wondering what their secret is" kind of forgetting.

Lots of exposition for the reader, where some character reads a travel guide to the protagonists/readers. Chalker is a good enough writer not to have to do that.

Also, the usual Chalker themes pop up: Slavery, transgenderism, you know.

Chalker is a good writer, and the story was gripping, but I still felt he's told better stories.

I remember reading the first book of that series and then not continuing. Kind of a disappointment, as I was a real Chalker fan at that stage. I still think that the Well World, Four Lords of the Diamond, and G.O.D. Inc. contained fantastic settings and ideas, especially for a gamer, but I find it difficult to enjoy reading any of Chalker's books these days. Too much torture of the protagonists.

Finished Emily Drake's Dragon Guard based in the Magickers setting. A lot of things are explained except for maybe one or two minor quibbles like why are the Magickers suddenly growing old. I believe but don't know yet that it is because one of the villains has been keeping young by draining dopplegangers of the main heroes.

Working on Sir Thursday, and it's a hoot so far.

CES

Just finished Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David. Not the greatest book I have ever read, but worth the read. I plan on picking it up paperback used. Major anti-hero, but fun. Peter David is one of those writers I like and hate (quite often in the same book). This is one of his better ones.

Currently reading The Elysium Commission by L.E. Modesitt Jr. Never read his stuff before, and it't been a while for me for good SF, and so far this one has been really good. I'm going to be hitting the library for more from him.

Reading The Chessmen of Mars. It is just me or do all of ERB's heroes have 6d6 of Luck and 6d6 of Unluck?

At least. And, like the Superfriends version of Superman, John Carter has a base INT of 5, +10 on an 8- activation.

At least. And' date=' like the Superfriends version of Superman, John Carter has a base INT of 5, +10 on an 8- activation.[/quote']

So, who would win in a battle of wits -- him, Grond, or a giant clam?

At least. And' date=' like the Superfriends version of Superman, John Carter has a base INT of 5, +10 on an 8- activation.[/quote']

I also noted that the Unluck is used to get the hero into trouble, often in the most contrived of ways (I've been blown thousands of miles on my disabled flyer and crash right next to the most dangerous of foes!). The Luck gets you out -- often through amazing coincidences and through the finding of unlikely allies (You mean my fellow prisoner is from the same city as me, and is a amazing swordsmen in his own right?).

Too bad ERG didn't have more REH in him... I think the stories would be even more fun (although they do have a certain hokey charm), and you'd get to see strong female leads... 'cause Barsoom really need some bare-breasted warrior women! :D

I also noted that the Unluck is used to get the hero into trouble' date=' often in the most contrived of ways (I've been blown thousands of miles on my disabled flyer and crash [b']right next to[/b] the most dangerous of foes!). The Luck gets you out -- often through amazing coincidences and through the finding of unlikely allies (You mean my fellow prisoner is from the same city as me, and is a amazing swordsmen in his own right?).

Too bad ERG didn't have more REH in him... I think the stories would be even more fun (although they do have a certain hokey charm), and you'd get to see strong female leads... 'cause Barsoom really need some bare-breasted warrior women! :D

Yep, but it wasn't ERB alone. Most of the Pulp I have read from the same period is like that. Even some of the space/fantasy/adventure stories from later. They may be hokey, but they are rip roaring fun reads. In addition to ERB's Carter of Mars and Carson of Venus series, you may try Lin Carters Callisto series and his Green Star Series. Alan Burt Akers (Pen name for Kenneth Bulmer) also wrote a series with several different names. I call it the Dray Prescott of Scorpio series and it runs about 37 volumes. 1970's paperback volumes so they only run to half the page count we are used to now. But lots of daring do, flashing blades, super science and scantily clad babes :thumbup:

Yep' date=' but it wasn't ERB alone. Most of the Pulp I have read from the same period is like that. Even some of the space/fantasy/adventure stories from later. They may be hokey, but they are rip roaring fun reads. In addition to ERB's Carter of Mars and Carson of Venus series, you may try Lin Carters Callisto series and his Green Star Series. Alan Burt Akers (Pen name for Kenneth Bulmer) also wrote a series with several different names. I call it the Dray Prescott of Scorpio series and it runs about 37 volumes. 1970's paperback volumes so they only run to half the page count we are used to now. But lots of daring do, flashing blades, super science and scantily clad babes :thumbup:[/quote']

Right now, ERB is hit-or-miss with me. When he concentrates on action, I can tear through the book, when he stops to build a scene (and engage in exposition) everything slows to a c r a w l .