The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I lost my temper in public today. I was already cranky over yet another sleepless night, and I had to get to work earlier than usual today. That makes me even crankier.

I was able to get the rest of the afternoon off. I was walking to the bus stop, when some jackass jostles me without so much as an "excuse me." I decide to return the favor. I'm about to elbow him at the curb when another jackass in a van cuts across me, almost hitting me.

I scream out, "F***ERS!" At this time most of my ire was directed at the driver, but the first guy heard the rest of my tirade. I let loose the F-bomb one more time, and he crossed the street rather quickly. Then the train came. All the bystanders decided to embark away from me.

I like snakes for that work' date=' but once acid is down there it gets a little problematic. Just wear goggles[/quote']

And gloves. Thick, rubber ones. And clothes that you don't like, and don't plan on washing. The gloves you can hose off when you are done. Any clothing you get some one should just be tossed.

And gloves. Thick' date=' rubber ones. And clothes that you don't like, and don't plan on washing. The gloves you can hose off when you are done. Any clothing you get some one should just be tossed.[/quote']

Good advice. Though the clothes will have that nice acid washed look after the laundry. :D

Good advice. Though the clothes will have that nice acid washed look after the laundry. :D

Very true. A friend of mine washed his clothes once, having forgotten that he got some of the crud off of a car battery on his shirt. Pretty much ruined all the clothes in the load...

Very true. A friend of mine washed his clothes once' date=' having forgotten that he got some of the crud off of a car battery on his shirt. Pretty much ruined all the clothes in the load...[/quote']

Yea, I had a car that got it's radiator shoved into the car battery. Acid Steamed the engine compartment. It was very clean in there...

The pants I had that day had a swiss cheese pattern.

Okay, we're going to have a company barbecue. Sounds nice, right? Well, guess where we're going to hold it. In the narrow dead-end alley behind the center. Where the dumpsters are. And the folks at the restaurant below us park their cars there too.

Would it help to know that your cranky made my morning, Milkmaster?

On this morning's con call we learned that all we have to do to keep a particular lucrative government contract is have our accounting system pass a DCA audit. Just a minor hurdle... except that our accounting system is hand-coded by the company owner, who is a bit too brilliant for his own good. The system has been known to perform addition incorrectly...

Dear neighbors who live two blocks over:

I am a big fan of fireworks. Lady fingers, jumping jacks, ground bloom flowers, showers, roman candles, bottle rockets, 14" mortars, M80s, you name it. I have set off enough fireworks in my day to level an office block. But you know, I always did it on New Year's Eve, or July 4th. Please, look at your calendar and tell me what it says. That's what I thought. Now put that stuff away before I come over there and burn your house down with you and your illegal fireworks stash in it. Thanks.

Most sincerely,

Old Man

Because of the way the store is not selling enough, shipment has been cut from twice a week to once a week.

This means that the need for Stock Associates goes down (as does our hours) which were already low. As if this isn't bad enough, a third stock associate has come to the store.

Looks like my fifteen hour weeks are going to be trimmed even more. It's either that or push to become a full time sales associate, which I refuse to do, because having mild panic attacks at work are not my cup of tea. (there isn't a lot of structure in the sales associate job and I need it or I start feeling out of control).

Thank god I'm moving soon. :(

Because of the way the store is not selling enough, shipment has been cut from twice a week to once a week.

This means that the need for Stock Associates goes down (as does our hours) which were already low. As if this isn't bad enough, a third stock associate has come to the store.

Looks like my fifteen hour weeks are going to be trimmed even more. It's either that or push to become a full time sales associate, which I refuse to do, because having mild panic attacks at work are not my cup of tea. (there isn't a lot of structure in the sales associate job and I need it or I start feeling out of control).

Thank god I'm moving soon. :(

Where are you moving too?

Dear neighbors who live two blocks over:

I am a big fan of fireworks. Lady fingers, jumping jacks, ground bloom flowers, showers, roman candles, bottle rockets, 14" mortars, M80s, you name it. I have set off enough fireworks in my day to level an office block. But you know, I always did it on New Year's Eve, or July 4th. Please, look at your calendar and tell me what it says. That's what I thought. Now put that stuff away before I come over there and burn your house down with you and your illegal fireworks stash in it. Thanks.

Most sincerely,

Old Man

There is one SOB who always saves his (or her) fireworks and sets them off at 4 am a month or two later. :mad:

So I finally got my new work laptop. Great! Except . . . well, it doesn't really work. It gives me a time/date error whenever I log on. Well, if I connect via the VPN before logging onto Windows, it picks up the server time and is OK, but if I just log on pre-network, well, error. Lovely. Oh, and then there's the monitor, which is so bad and fuzzy it's hard to read, basically unusable. Feel like I need glasses when I look at it, it's so stinking blurry. Oh, and no battery. Not "limited battery life". No battery at all, won't hold any charge, powers down the moment it is unplugged. So, it took over a month to get a new laptop, and the one I get is basically worthless. Thanks, guys. Really. Appreciate the help.

And while I'm complaining, my wife's great uncle died last night. I can't even name my great uncles, have no idea who they are. Her family, though, is from a small Iowa town where most of them live. He lived right next door to his sister, my wife's grandmother. So we're all going for the funeral. The wife was going to go to Iowa with the kids this weekend herself, giving me a glorious weekend alone, but now we all get to go. And yes, I realize I'm being petty about this and I actually liked the guy who died quite a bit, very friendly guy, just not looking forward to a weekend of sleeping on an air mattress in my mother-in-law's small apartment while being dragged from family function to family function. I'd go visit some of my old haunts in Iowa City to relieve the boredom but, of course, those are still in large part underwater.

Oh, and just for a final kicker, my 17-year-old cat who sleeps in my office on her chair started making puke noises, so I picked her up and ran her out to the hardwood. Mistimed it, so she puked halfway there. Right on two of my guitars. Hit my electric perfectly on the 12th fret, even, just a perfect shot. I mean, I know I needed to change my strings, but not exactly what I was looking for.

Sigh.