The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Maybe I'm misremembering' date=' but when I was growing up, I knew maybe one or two kids who had peanut butter allergies. Nowadays, it seems like there's maybe one or two kids who [u']don't[/u] have peanut allergies. Did it just become that much more prevailant in the last 20 years, or has it always been that way and I just lived in a bubble? :think:

The prevalence of allergies is skyrocketing and doctors are scrambling to figure out why. One theory held that a child's immune system is overactive for its first year or so of life, getting a feel for what it should and should not go off on. I literally rubbed dirt on my kids' hands and pacifiers for this reason when they were smaller (don't tell my wife). Another theory is that routine exposure to fine particulate matter makes a child's immune system hypersensitive; we were living a block downwind of the freeway, so that could explain it as well.

But right now the real answer is no one knows what really causes allergic reactions, or how to get rid of them, short of antigen therapy shots. So... we ban the peanut butter. I agree that outright banning is probably an overreaction, but I can't think of any other way to guarantee no peanut exposure in a school full of half-feral kids. My boy's preschool goes further, banning all nuts and even juice bags (though the latter for an entirely different reason).

Today after my Shrink appointment the doctor rushed into his back room and called goodbye from there. Usually he takes my hand from behind his desk and presses it, leaving the comforting smell of his aftershave, but he did not do that this time. I felt a little blown off. I hope he will go back to his usual goodbye ritual next time, which is in November. :(

I have a CPAP sleep mask which I hate. My Shrink said if it works out I can go off some medications. He wants me to stick it out and get used to it.

But just try sleeping with something clamped to your face blowing air up your nose. OddHat says he has seen me sleep in it. But I still don't stay asleep. It feels like a punishment to have to wear it.

Time to sleep.

I feel like darth Vader. I SOUND like darth Vader. :idjit:

I have a CPAP sleep mask which I hate. My Shrink said if it works out I can go off some medications. He wants me to stick it out and get used to it.

But just try sleeping with something clamped to your face blowing air up your nose. OddHat says he has seen me sleep in it. But I still don't stay asleep. It feels like a punishment to have to wear it.

Time to sleep.

I feel like darth Vader. I SOUND like darth Vader. :idjit:

I have a CPAP as well; I have horrid amounts of sleep apnea. I have, in the past, snored so loud that I've woken myself up.

It does take some getting used to, but once you get to that point, it's well worth it. My biggest problem is that my nose tends to itch a lot.

A lot of people who go on a CPAP machine get used to it by turning on the machine and staying awake to read or do something similarly low-key' date=' until their breathing feels natural and comfortable. Then they turn out the light and just focus on breathing in sync with the machine.[/quote']

Sounds like it'd work ... unfortunately, my CPAP has a 'brace' that goes up from the mask over the nose, which means I can't wear my glasses and the CPAP at the same time. :P

Last night was a little better. I still had to drag myself out of bed today and am still exhausted but I slept through my 2:30 am binge. Maybe if that keeps happening I'll actually lose some weight. :straight:

A friend of mine lost 180 pounds that he credits to the effects of the CPAP. Better sleep, more energy, better moods, less depression, easier exercise, less appetite. It really made a lot of things possible for him that had been out of reach for years.

Good luck, and stick with it - it will be worth it.

Every year it's the same thing. The three biggest days in grocery are Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving. In America, I'm told Thanksgiving is in November. The business ramps up H>T>C. This is important. Food expires. Space is limited. If you're not in the business, you can imagine how limited by looking around your house and imagining that every single piece of furniture was suddenly twinned, and then being asked to set up a Twister tournament.

"First in, First Out." It's just is the way we do things.

In Canada, Thanksgiving happens on the right date, in early October. So you'd think you'd know how a supermarket handles things.

And you'd be wrong.

"Hunh. Thanksgiving in October, you say. When did that happen? Anyway, here's 5 cargo pallets of Halloween candy to work around."

I know I'm not supposed to misuse my martial arts skills, and I've been pretty good about that. But I seem to encounter so many jerks wherever I go, and some of them act like they're willing to fight. Why not teach them a lesson once in a while? Aside from legal complications, that is.

Every year it's the same thing. The three biggest days in grocery are Christmas' date=' Halloween, Thanksgiving. In America, I'm told Thanksgiving is in November. The business ramps up H>T>C. This is [i']important. [/i]Food expires. Space is limited. If you're not in the business, you can imagine how limited by looking around your house and imagining that every single piece of furniture was suddenly twinned, and then being asked to set up a Twister tournament.

"First in, First Out." It's just is the way we do things.

In Canada, Thanksgiving happens on the right date, in early October. So you'd think you'd know how a supermarket handles things.

And you'd be wrong.

"Hunh. Thanksgiving in October, you say. When did that happen? Anyway, here's 5 cargo pallets of Halloween candy to work around."

Chronology has nothing to do with how we handle retail holidays in the United States. For example, the local K-Mart has its full artificial Christmas tree section stocked and ready to go, with a full aisle of example trees powered up and lit.

So I went to visit family this past weekend. I'm not real close with any of them; we all went in different directions with our lives, but we get along fairly well. I talked with one of my brothers about what's going on in his life, and the story really made me mad.

See, my brother has never exactly had an easy life. A lot of that was his own fault, but much more of it was just life taking a giant dump on him. But a few years ago, he started to get his act together. He went to Chef School. He did real well, too; became a favorite of both his classmates and his teachers. His mentor told him that he was doing well enough that he could skip a bunch of classes and graduate early, but my brother said no, he wanted to go through the whole program so he could learn everything. His team even won a gold medal at a prestigious chef competition.

He had really turned his life around. He had a whole promising career ahead of him.

Then, about a month ago, he was driving the school van to a catering event and some @$$hole ran a red light and t-boned him. Cracked the van completely in half. Luckily, my brother survived. It jacked up his back, dislocated his hip, sprained his ankle and hurt both his knees, but he survived. He's in a lot of pain, and it's tough to see him hobbling around the house, but I'm sure he'll get better.

But the worst part is, his hands have developed a terrible shake. The doctors don't know why -- it might be nerve damage, it might be a concussion, it might be PSTD. But because of it, he can't even safely hold a knife... which means he can't be a chef anymore.

His whole career, the bright light that he'd been working towards, is now fading away. Goddammit. Just as he was finally getting his life together, something like this has to happen. :mad:

Moving would be a lot easier if we could pull the van up close to our door. That thirty feet of space is making such a difference; we've almost dropped several large pieces of furniture there. The owner of the car that's thoroughly blocking the way so we can't pull the van up, though, just emerged from her apartment to walk her dog. She stared at us as we loaded in our dryer, eyed the location of the truck, then shrugged and went inside.

:mad:

My best guess is what was going through her head was, "Do I have enough room to get out? Oh, yeah; they're pulled forward enough. Okay, good."

People are not my favorite right now. :mad:

That's my guess, that she was deciding if she needed to tell you to move the truck for her.

The only time I've had similar problems was with the move from Denver out to California with my brother. The movers were blocking the neighbor's driveway and when they got in they very politely let us know that they needed in their driveway. The driver of the truck proceeded to cop a SERIOUS attitude. Voices got raised, cops got called. One of the MANY reasons I was seriously unimpressed with those movers.

So I went to visit family this past weekend. I'm not real close with any of them; we all went in different directions with our lives, but we get along fairly well. I talked with one of my brothers about what's going on in his life, and the story really made me mad.

See, my brother has never exactly had an easy life. A lot of that was his own fault, but much more of it was just life taking a giant dump on him. But a few years ago, he started to get his act together. He went to Chef School. He did real well, too; became a favorite of both his classmates and his teachers. His mentor told him that he was doing well enough that he could skip a bunch of classes and graduate early, but my brother said no, he wanted to go through the whole program so he could learn everything. His team even won a gold medal at a prestigious chef competition.

He had really turned his life around. He had a whole promising career ahead of him.

Then, about a month ago, he was driving the school van to a catering event and some @$$hole ran a red light and t-boned him. Cracked the van completely in half. Luckily, my brother survived. It jacked up his back, dislocated his hip, sprained his ankle and hurt both his knees, but he survived. He's in a lot of pain, and it's tough to see him hobbling around the house, but I'm sure he'll get better.

But the worst part is, his hands have developed a terrible shake. The doctors don't know why -- it might be nerve damage, it might be a concussion, it might be PSTD. But because of it, he can't even safely hold a knife... which means he can't be a chef anymore.

His whole career, the bright light that he'd been working towards, is now fading away. Goddammit. Just as he was finally getting his life together, something like this has to happen. :mad:

. . . That's about as much suckitude I can bear to read in one evening. :(

Hope he gets better soon!

With any luck it isn't nerve damage. PTSD and concussion are both much more likely to be recovered from.

Yeah, I hope so too. He's always had a lot of anger and sadness inside him, and this is not helping. Breaks my heart to see him like that.

. . . That's about as much suckitude I can bear to read in one evening. :(

Hope he gets better soon!

Thanks.