The cranky thread

Hermit

Wasn't that painful. But left alone it will be. Had something like that almost 40 years ago. That sort of thing you don't forget.

EDIT: But I was hungry and tried eating before the numb wore off. Bit my lip three times in the same spot. Ow. And stupid.

Friend of mine used to be part of the copier management folks for a university library system.

Her comment was: You may take as given that all copiers in an academic environment are operated at a minimum of 200% their rated capacity.

I just got an email from myself, and you all know what that means.

I just changed my password too, damn it!

It probably just means someone forged the header's reply to field. If you look at the full header, you should be able to see where it actually game from. If someone hacked your e-mail account, everyone in your address book will be receiving spam and/or phishing attempts shortly.

Thanks all for the well-wishes, and mine back to all of you who have posted in the interim.

My father-in-law has been moved too a skilled nursing facility for the past few weeks. Me, my brother-in-law and mother-in-law are taking shifts staying with him continuously through visiting hours, keeping him company during scary times and keeping the staff on their toes with his routine care (remembering to reposition him, do his oral care after feeding, keep his boot on his right leg and his right arm elevated, etc.) The place is pretty good, save for a bad habit of everyone on staff of picking stuff up off the ground and putting it on the tray he eats on. I may have to have a friendly chat with whoever is in charge about it, now that I'm feeling a bit better. (Everyone up here -- we're all staying at my brother-in-law's house, right around the corner from the SNF -- had a nasty virus followed by another nasty virus that drug on from Thanksgiving until the beginning of this past week. Fun times.)

He's had slight improvement in his therapies (speech, occupational (hand/arm) and physical (leg)) but did not get off to a good start. I think probably due to depression. The improvements seemed to coincide with putting him on anti-depressants. I'm not sure if the slow start will retard his overall progress or not. The therapists can't really give a good prognosis since brain injuries are so varied. He's doing best with the leg, so I think he'll eventually get back on his feet. He's starting to talk, though it's mostly gibberish and he only seems motivated to try when he's in some kind of distress. He did clearly swear three times while he was in pain once, and those words were, naturally, clear as a bell. So, the wiring is still there to some extent. I think he'll get speech back to at least some degree by the time he gets done with the second phase of rehab (acute rehab; he has to be able to do 3 hrs a day of therapy before he moves into that phase, which he's not got the stamina for yet). His arm is in the worst shape. The therapist thinks he may only be able to grab things with it a bit, and not regain full use. He has moderate dexterity in his left hand/arm, so training him to be a lefty shouldn't be too tough He'd done some stuff lefty due to his right eye being worse when he was younger.

All that said, all of these things can continue to gradually improve over time.

My daily routine is basically getting up and doing some chores or shopping, making lunch for me and the wife, then going to the SNF from 2 to 8pm, then back home to relax a bit before bed. So, I'll probably start popping in and out of here a bit more.

We had the graveside services for my friend Saturday, in a beautiful time/location apart from the biting cold. I wasn't thrilled about how little the preacher said about her and how much he pushed accepting Jesus to the assembled mourners, but I suppose if the family liked the service that's the important thing. One of the friends I rode with talked about the beautiful service after, and I silently thought "yeah, as long as you're not one of those Hell-bound Jews, Buddhists, Athiests, or other assorted heathens!"

• 2 weeks later...

"Since our classes are already going to be shorter tomorrow because of an assembly, we're going to go ahead and have our state-mandated evacuation drill tomorrow too. By the way, the forecast calls for snow, so tell your students to dress warm. See you tomorrow!"