The cranky thread

Hermit

I finally had to get power of attorney for my mom. Need it for my dad too, but... there is more money on my paycheck than I expected, which is good, but no explanation why... I fear to use it, because they have been known to make mistakes, then takes back the money on the next check. Margins are way too tight for that to be doable.

I finally had to get power of attorney for my mom. Need it for my dad too, but... there is more money on my paycheck than I expected, which is good, but no explanation why... I fear to use it, because they have been known to make mistakes, then takes back the money on the next check. Margins are way too tight for that to be doable.

I feel for you. I've been going through that kind of thing with my inlaws for a while, and soon it will be time for some of my own family. Is there any chance your folks are able to put together a trust? My understanding is it can help a lot with probate, though if you already have PoA it could be unnecessary.

I've found that there is plenty of wisdom on the internet for cleaning hopeless stains.  Some of it is dubious, of course, but for black paint on carpet I'd be willing to try anything.  Googling suggests either turpentine or glycerin+vinegar, depending on whether the paint is oil or water based.  Definitely worth trying something before cutting a piece out of the carpet and stitching in a patch that would almost certainly not perfectly match the rest of the carpet.

More googling suggests that rubbing alcohol followed by a one-hour dampening with 3% hydrogen peroxide might also work.  I'd have thought the peroxide would present some risk of bleaching, but if you already have a black paint stain, perhaps you have nothing left to lose.

Right now the washing machine is full of water and clothes and will not drain, and you can send somebody out to look at it Tuesday?

Bite me.

We are never buying anything from GE ever ever again.

Spent 3 hours and $300+ at the emergency room tonight because we have two children who can't communicate or follow instructions as effectively as a German Shepherd.

Fortunately, both kids are okay.

Lady P found the missing battery!

And there was great rejoicing in the land.