The cranky thread

Hermit

One of my mother's tenants passed away in the last couple of days and we have only just found this out. Unfortunately as she was coming out of the premises she fell over and hurt her arm.

The ambulance service and the police are looking at the body now. Then we have to get the ambulance service out again to look at her arm. 

Data cleanliness issues. :mad:

One field seems to have three valid possible values, STNU, STCU, and STRU (for new students, continuing students, and returning students, respectively).

I have not yet found a value of STFU yet, though it feels like at least one such ought to exist.

No, you narcissistic paranoid man-child, you do not rant against your wife on social media for going out with friends instead of staying home to be placating your control freak ass. And no, removing it the next day does not help the damage you've done, Get therapy, get marriage counseling, but for the love of god admit you've got some problems too instead of trying to burn the woman you claim to love in social effigy - you idiot.

Sorry, had to vent somewhere. Hypocritical of me, but at least I'm not naming names. 

My father-in-law had a stroke on the 4th. It was a tiny ischemic stroke caused by a dissected carotid artery. Hit him in the language center. Initially, he just had a few slurred/scrambled words, but could speak and move around.

Then that Tuesday, the artery sent up another clot and it became a massive ischemic stroke to the same area. That took his speech out completely (for now), and his right side, though not any real facial drooping (just a little lag in the right side facial muscles, but not very noticeable). So, that sucked big time.

THEN a few days later he went hemorrhagic. The good news is that it was to the same area already damaged by the second progression. But the ICU doctor started talking to the family who was there about end of life stuff, the possibility of him becoming a vegetable (his wishes are to pull the plug in that case), and caused MAJOR stress to everyone. I was keeping my crap together until that point, but now I just randomly cry sometimes. Minor PTSD from the scare, I suppose.

The good news is that the damage is slowly healing. He still has brain swelling and the blood is far from being reabsorbed, but he's headed in the right direction at least. (We hope. Prayers/well-wishes gladly accepted.) He sleeps a lot, and probably will until the brain swelling and blood resolve, but he's recovered enough to move to skilled nursing. It's a good facility a half mile away from his house that's attached to a hospital. He is finally getting some PT/OT/ST. He seems to be responding to the PT and OT at least. He's still having trouble swallowing and can only handle thick liquids right now. We've got a ways to go to get him back on his feat and chatting with us.

I'm sorry for not letting you guys know sooner why I haven't been around, and why I won't be around much for a while. It's been busy and tough, and this is hard to write about without getting upset. He's truly the nicest, most even-tempered, just plain GOOD person I know. Nobody deserves this stuff, but especially not him. At least he was in pretty good health before this, so that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a opossum under our house.

Congratulations!

We had 'em under the house when I used to live in Central Florida. We also had a family of skunks, which made it real interesting when a loose dog would chase the possums under the house (the smell went away very rapidly, usually with the yipping sound).

We have a opossum under our house.

If your area has a problem with ticks, keep it around. They're the best way to get rid of them, and thanks to their freaky marsupial biology they have very low risk of carrying diseases like rabies or distemper.

They also tend to be nomadic, so it'll probably wander off in a few days if left alone.