The cranky thread

Hermit

And one of my credit card numbers apparently had a very good time in California without me. Fraud alert caught it after the first transaction (for gas, apparently), and clamped down when they tried a small test purchase at a Target store. I ended up making the call to the fraud department at about the same time that they tried calling me, and I should have a replacement card in about a week. I don't have any idea where the number was grabbed, but it is a frequently-used card for me.

My preferred mouse deterrent is my 3 cats.  Certain breeds of dog are good for this too.  If the mice are coming in from outside, doing things to encourage birds of prey to nest nearby will vastly reduce the mouse population (friend of mine adopted several indoor cats and managed to attract a family of barn owls to a big tree in his back yard; he hasn't seen a mouse in over a decade).

My dog killed 18 field mice one night. They moved into the backyard from the adjacent field and were messing with our rabbit, who happens to be my dog's buddy. The ones that got inside the house got a free pass for some odd reason. She would just watch them run around and look up like "Yeah? You want something?"

Luckily, the field mice liked to make sorties outside and there are a LOT of stray cats in the neighborhood. The mice actually did some good and cleaned up a roach (living in a duplex sucks) problem before they, themselves, were "cleaned up." Now my house is pest free, not counting the cursed mosquitos. I think the only solution to that problem is the aforementioned "nuke the site from orbit" one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as of yesterday I officially know... I am being laid off on the 17th. Apparently I am NOT upbeat and personable enough for the guy running the program I was in a group interview for... the only other person there that I know did not get in was the guy whose answers were basically sar astigmatism F-U responses.

This would not be as bad if my wife was working... she got canned suddenly stating she was "not temperamentally suited because she would never be mean to the customers on the phone to get them to pay their bills.... we think the real problem was dead season cash flow, but...

Then she tried an insurance sales gig. She got her licensed with a 92% but after a month of "training" which was basically being an unpaid intern, with the expectation that she should be there for 12 hour days 6 days a week, she quit.

I already have some applications out there, but I just don't know how we are going to make it. My income didn't quite meet our expenses, and 60% of it on unemployment sure as he'll won't.

The last 5 years or so have been rough. I am sometimes not sure how much more I can take without some kind of breakdown. I am actually less freaked than I expected, but then again I am on the internet at almost 2:00 AM, when I should be asleep.

@gewing: Sorry to hear about your layoff.  Layoffs never get any easier, and it especially sucks when it's the result of other people's incompetence or politics.  It was after layoff number four, when I discovered that my then-new job wasn't going to pay anywhere close to what I'd promised, that I started having my 3am panic attacks.*  Even now my savings accounts are in shreds, although that has more to do with runaway spending than multiple layoffs in the span of four years.

We can tell from your posts that you're brilliant, so hopefully the job market will catch on to that.  Just remember that you are more than your job.  Work your (human) network to try and find an opening, even if only for a stopgap position.  List all those things you wanted to do but couldn't because you were working, and do some of those.  Work out and spend some quality time with your family.  I don't know your housing situation but try not to be too attached; be prepared to bail before you go way far into debt, if possible.  And definitely spend lots of time posting here, or else use your new free time to write Hero supplements.  ;)  We are pulling for you.

* The employment-related panic attacks have faded, replaced with marriage-related panic attacks... but that's another issue.

@gewing: Sorry to hear about your layoff. Layoffs never get any easier, and it especially sucks when it's the result of other people's incompetence or politics. It was after layoff number four, when I discovered that my then-new job wasn't going to pay anywhere close to what I'd promised, that I started having my 3am panic attacks.* Even now my savings accounts are in shreds, although that has more to do with runaway spending than multiple layoffs in the span of four years.

We can tell from your posts that you're brilliant, so hopefully the job market will catch on to that. Just remember that you are more than your job. Work your (human) network to try and find an opening, even if only for a stopgap position. List all those things you wanted to do but couldn't because you were working, and do some of those. Work out and spend some quality time with your family. I don't know your housing situation but try not to be too attached; be prepared to bail before you go way far into debt, if possible. And definitely spend lots of time posting here, or else use your new free time to write Hero supplements. ;) We are pulling for you.

* The employment-related panic attacks have faded, replaced with marriage-related panic attacks... but that's another issue.

Thanks for the kind words. I have a 22% less thing lined up after 2 weeks off, but am applying for better jobs. That one puts us on Medicare and scraping for bills.

My networking got me a recommendation on a good one, hopefully I did well enough on the assessment test online... need to redo it for another position at the same company.

So an LGBT Facts of Life?  :whistle: 

You mean the original wasn't?

Seriously, who looked at Jo and pictured her settled down with a man 20 years on?

Glue traps are just cruel.  I like the nonlethals, you just have to take the critter over to someone you don't like and release it there.

As I said to the kitchen full of mice I caught that way, "Allow me to introduce you to your new neighbors, Mr. Hawk and Mrs. Feral Cat!"

My own crankiness is over the Fire Dept. charity band that invaded the restaurant I was eating in Saturday night, set up shop with bagpipes and drums to either side of me, and promptly gave me a migraine that kept me up until 4am. Completely wiped out my plans for a day trip to see live theatre and eat sushi Sunday.

• 1 month later...