The cranky thread

Hermit

Sunday afternoon: Took LGP and LBP to the InstaCare for elevated fevers and other flu-like symptoms. Both tested positive for Influenza A. (Both have also had COVID in the past month).

While there, LGP had an "episode": She became suddenly pale and listless and nearly fell over. We got her into a chair and the nurses took her vitals. He blood pressure was in the 80s/high 50s range. Her heart rate was ~120. We took her coat and mask off; her lips were blue. She returned to normal fairly quickly, and we still don't know exactly what happened. (One of the challenges of having a nonverbal child.) They sent LBP home with Lady P. I took LGP to the emergency room.

Sunday night: Checked in at the ER and waited about half an hour for a room. In time they took us back and took LGP's vitals again. Everything looked a lot better. We saw a coupe of nurses and eventually a doctor. She recommended an EKG to make sure there were no cardiovascular problems behind the episode. (At this point, the leading theory is that she got momentarily overheated; the InstaCare room was abnormally warm and LGP had been wearing a coat and mask.)

At length the EKG techs come in, attach all the leads, and run the diagnostic. It's clear from the conversation that one of the techs is a mentor/trainer, and the other is doing this for the first time. The test goes smoothly, they print off a couple of readouts, and they peel off all the stickers. They take the readouts to the doctor, and we don't hear from anyone for about half an hour.

When we do finally hear from someone, they're talking about "anomalous readings". May be an issue, may be that the leads weren't connected right. A second EKG was ordered, and in time the two techs came back and did it again. This one, we find out later, looks better. Eventually the previous doctor and the on-call cardiologist come in. The cardiologist deduces that the irregularity is minor and is most likely due to the flu. We are discharged with instructions to get LGP to her pediatrician for a follow-up appointment in the next few days.

Lady P and LBP come pick us up at the ER; it's about a 25-minute drive, and unknown to me, it's been snowing for the previous 3-4 hours. We avoid the freeway, which is a complete clusterflop because the plows haven't cleared it yet, and drive back home on surface streets. It takes about 45 minutes, and we have some trouble getting up the last hill leading to our house. (The minivan needs new tires.) But we get home safely, and we are all cozy in bed by about 4:30 a.m.

More on the rest of the week later.

Less of a crank more a vent about someone on Deviantart who is taking part in the Great Snowball fight but does not seem to get it and how their comments are not getting the desired results.

The snowball fight basically allows people to award a snowball to a comment or image and this gives 2 fragments to the person hit. Each snowball costs 3 fragments.

So this guy keeps asking for snowballs saying bruh or bro in a single sentence. They said Pls. Other people are putting up images or making gifs or making smart remarks (that would be me).

I replied to them in the snowball fight thread inviting other people to target them. And that according to them was scamming them ? And their live (that is how they spelled it) was not snowballs.

So what is the point of what they are doing ? In the last couple of days they threatened to ban or kill people. And they gave a number of banned people (which I for one do not believe). They have also said they would give a valuable badge to people who would help them.

They are also whining that they are not on the catching snowballs leaderboard. And it is unfair. And that there must be a problem with the site and that the moderators should fix it.

I am not the only person to take them to task. I barred them for the scamming remark. Maybe they meant spamming ? They claim to be from Latvia but ?

I am on the catching snowball list which is nice. I am not No1 and will not get close. No 1 is over 1,000 and I am on just over 450.

We finally had to put our cat down on Thursday night. She was just too weak, and ending her suffering was the right decision.

I'm okay, surprisingly. Maybe the grief hasn't caught up to me yet. I wish it would already, so I don't break down at work on while commuting.

I still have 4 cats, so I've been paying them some extra attention.

On 12/21/2022 at 3:50 PM, tkdguy said:

Another of my favorite restaurants has closed down permanently! :mad: 

One of the things about the pandemic is that the local restaurant environment has been completely upended.  The last two weeks I've been doing more driving than usual and I'm constantly surprised when I pass eateries that I used to go to regularly that now have completely new signage and new ownership. 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

One of the things about the pandemic is that the local restaurant environment has been completely upended.  The last two weeks I've been doing more driving than usual and I'm constantly surprised when I pass eateries that I used to go to regularly that now have completely new signage and new ownership. 

I will typically say this about the few FLGS that still exist.  The pandemic telling people to separate combined with WOTC (and other companies) pushing for a pure VTT market has been making places that people gather for any reason seen to be an impossible feat. 

1 hour ago, Asperion said:

I will typically say this about the few FLGS that still exist.  The pandemic telling people to separate combined with WOTC (and other companies) pushing for a pure VTT market has been making places that people gather for any reason seen to be an impossible feat. 

The exception here is card-oriented FLGS, which have actually multiplied since the pandemic.  In fact I just discovered another one on Thursday, a shop with more of a collectible card bent--they carry a lot of baseball cards (those are still a thing?) and have tables set up for the Pokemon/MtGers.

I've been offline for a couple of days because I spilled coffee on my laptop and had to let it dry for a couple of days. Some of the keys are still messed up. Here's an example:

T%he key6s are st5ill messed up.

That's what comes out when I type the t or y. Same deal with the 5 and 6.

Have interesting delima  -

Employer normally puts out CURRENT schedule on Wednesday (Tuesday at earliest) and expects me to know when I work before it is released.  If I miss any shift before the schedule is released,  then it is MY fault,  not theirs. I have made this complaint many times and management does not seem to care. 

On 1/3/2023 at 6:58 AM, Asperion said:

Have interesting delima  -

Employer normally puts out CURRENT schedule on Wednesday (Tuesday at earliest) and expects me to know when I work before it is released.  If I miss any shift before the schedule is released,  then it is MY fault,  not theirs. I have made this complaint many times and management does not seem to care. 

If you could predict the future, would you be working there?

• 3 weeks later...

I've had two big meetings this week, basically vendor pitches between two software packages I have to choose. The first was very productive, it's what we want and need, but it's expensive.

The second that I just got out of was frustrating, didn't get the info I needed, and he had a very thick accent that was nearly indecipherable. It may be what we need cheaper, but I can't be sure. I've kind of checked them off the list because that meeting was so bad, but I need to assess further. Dammit.

I found a consultant to help, but they want 30k minimum to help out. That's more than the entire budget several times over. 

This sucks. This is not the fun part of the job. 

• 2 weeks later...

My temp job officially ended on Friday. That's fine; I was ready to move on. However, I didn't get a notice until Thursday evening after I had come home from work. Good thing I decided to check my email that evening.

Of course, my coworker were all shocked when I told them on Friday. I didn't even get to say goodbye to some of them in person because they didn't come to the office that day. I could have said goodbye properly to them on Wednesday or Thursday.

The decision probably came about quickly. I was doing a training session via Zoom on Wednesday, and I was scheduled for a second session on Thursday. The latter was cancelled without explanation. I didn't think much of it at the time, since I know things come up. But that suggests I was already going to be dropped. Why didn't the manager tell me then? I only found out through my temp agency recruiter, who only emailed instead of calling.

It just seems a bit rude to do it that way.

• 3 weeks later...