Favorite Abuses

JmOz

We all have little tricks we like to use, things that many would say should not be done, so the question is what abuses to the system do you like to use?

My GM likes to give High Armor with Albative Body only ( as very few attacks will do 20 Body...)

One of my new favorites involves martial arts (Especialy ranged): Choose one attack manuver that is your default (Defencive shot is a personal favorite), now you can use this one manuver with find weakness, your PSL's & CSL's, etc... esentialy anywhere where one attack is cheaper. Now assosiate a MP with the MA (A Quiver of trick arrows), all your slots benefit from the MA...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite Abuses

"Abuse" is going to be very subjective.

Still, as far as favorite abuse is concerned, I'm guilty of using Mega-PRE characters both in games and against my players. It's amazing what a PRE of 75 or so can acomplish in most campaigns, especially with plenty of points in social skills.

My favorite (grossly abusive) is buying Dispel vs. Knockback resistance, Does Knockback. It's cheap to buy lots of dice and send the enemy flying.

Another is Clinging, Usable as an attack. You can just "paste" the enemy to the ground. If you knock them down they'll be stuck in a prone position.

Mentalists with things like X-Ray vision can be really unbalancing.

Then you can just dump 200 points into PRE and get everybody to surrender upon seeing you.

There's lots of abuses. As a GM I've had some people come up with very clever abuses.

Yep, anything that prevents dodging is killer against dodge-based defenses.

Speaking of defense, the White Knight Defense combo ( damage reduction + damage absorbtion ). Damage reduction improves the effeciency of the absorbtion, the absorbtion provides bigger benefit that just sticking on lots of defense, and the combo all but nullifies AP, Pen, and NND.

My GM likes to give High Armor with Albative Body only ( as very few attacks will do 20 Body...)

One of my new favorites involves martial arts (Especialy ranged): Choose one attack manuver that is your default (Defencive shot is a personal favorite), now you can use this one manuver with find weakness, your PSL's & CSL's, etc... esentialy anywhere where one attack is cheaper. Now assosiate a MP with the MA (A Quiver of trick arrows), all your slots benefit from the MA...

Wow that's just mean man. I used to think I could powergame with the best of them, but I'm not even in the same league.

Soeaking of Clinging, seems to me a Brick with a Clinging Damage Shield gets quite the effect, especially for those scrawny little martial artists that keep bouncing around them.

And that is by the book.

Only if you buy it Usable As Attack too. Damage Shield can only be applied to Attack Powers.

However, you can get just as nasty with a brick that has an Entangle Damage Shield...

The one that Champsguy promoted me to Junior Munchkin for:

Brick

STR 60

First Knuckle 1d6 HA

Second Knuckle 1d6 HA

Third Knuckle 1d6 HA

Fourth Knuckle 1d6 HA

Voila! A 12d6 plus 4 x 13d6 attacks in a Multipower Attack!

(grumble) It's a bit less abusive since the new rule in (where is it :think: ) that says that END for STR must be paid for each attack, even though the base rule clearly states that a character only pays END for STR ONCE per phase, REGARDLESS of how much he does with it!

[/rant]

Not that hard to get around, though. For an extra 30 points, slap 0 END on STR.

Wow that's just mean man. I used to think I could powergame with the best of them' date=' but I'm not even in the same league.[/quote']

Which one? Mine or my GM's, I have to admit that when my GM showed me the Armor trick I went WOW...

I once had a PC do this to me, and now I'm much better at spotting these type of things.

He had an Earth Elemental character with the following powers (no all of thim are listed just the ones relevent to this post)

Tunneling - Closed behind Usable as an attack @ Range

Detect anyone/thing on the surface of the ground As a sense, Ranged, Targeting, Discrimintory

LS: Breath underground

So I bet you can all see where this was heading... But on his hand writen Char sheet it wasn't so obvious with them all spaced out...

Yeah he sunk into the ground, then startign pulling Agents under the ground about 3" then lft them there. Eash Phase he would nab another one... with NO chance of ever beening seen let alone targeted & attacked. & even if they did somehow find him he was protected by 3" of ground... Not an easy thing to blast through in 1 hit before he'd just move.

He used that once... :tsk: But I still use the Story as what NOT to do. :straight:

WC

"Abuse" is going to be very subjective.

Still, as far as favorite abuse is concerned, I'm guilty of using Mega-PRE characters both in games and against my players. It's amazing what a PRE of 75 or so can acomplish in most campaigns, especially with plenty of points in social skills.

Try puting it in a mentalists MP...saves points, fits the F/X (mild mind control) and can be down right terrifing

The one that Champsguy promoted me to Junior Munchkin for:

Brick

STR 60

First Knuckle 1d6 HA

Second Knuckle 1d6 HA

Third Knuckle 1d6 HA

Fourth Knuckle 1d6 HA

Voila! A 12d6 plus 4 x 13d6 attacks in a Multipower Attack!

(grumble) It's a bit less abusive since the new rule in (where is it :think: ) that says that END for STR must be paid for each attack, even though the base rule clearly states that a character only pays END for STR ONCE per phase, REGARDLESS of how much he does with it!

[/rant]

Not that hard to get around, though. For an extra 30 points, slap 0 END on STR.

Junior munchkin...Jm...I wonder... God I miss Champsguy...

Anything with a big Side Effects associated with a almost-never-fails RSR.

Accessible foci or restrainable powers, on a high-STR brick (or a char with access to high STR.)

Misuse of lims. For instance, using lims meant for heroic games in superheroic games (such as Independent, STR minimums, etc.) or taking an expendability lim for a focus that is irreplacable but not actually expendable (i.e. it doesn't disappear when you use it.)

In general, any power with more than +2 worth of advantages exceeding needs to be looked at closely.

There are of course lots of others.

Anything with a big Side Effects associated with a almost-never-fails RSR.

That reminds me of a character I recall seeing once. Had RSR on pretty much everything. Skimming the sheet, he could do the following with 17- skill rolls:

1st phase: All defense powers and some skill levels

2nd Phase: More skill levels

3rd Phase: any combination of powers likely to ever be relevant.

Not too limiting for a 1/3 point savings on pretty much all powers...

I try real hard to Not be abusive ...but I almost always have an AP attack if my character has Find weakness.......I know.... I'm bad......but I do try.....

In my opinion, that's an instance where your GM is bad for not imvoking the simple "just say no" principle.

Alternately, I've known GMs who rule that there is no added effect from the first Find Weakness check if applied to Armor Piercing.

To me, though, in most campaigns, allowing FW with AP is more or less equivalent to allowing NND KAs that do Body damage, with the defense defined as something like "being covered with grape jello."

I try real hard to Not be abusive ...but I almost always have an AP attack if my character has Find weakness.......I know.... I'm bad......but I do try.....

Hrrm. AP attacks aren't as unbalancing with FW as just raw damage attacks.

You're trading 1/3 of your attack dice for 1/4 of his defenses. Generally not a good trade. Even worse if you make your FW roll multiple times.

Might be better at leaking a body pip or two on a KA, but you could just use penetrating for that.

$0.02

You're trading 1/3 of your attack dice for 1/4 of his defenses. Generally not a good trade.
Yeah, I agree. I'd classify buying both AP and FW on the same attack more as "wasting points" than "abusive." ;)

Now, if your GM let you buy the AP as a naked advantage, then put it and the Find Weakness in a Multipower together, so you could use the AP against foes with Lack of Weakness, and the Find Weakness against foes with Hardened Defenses... now that would be abusive. :D

Before Megascale, having the extra huge ultra slot in the multipower for teleport with lots of non-combat multiples. You see, teleport had no acceleration/deceleration problems when you have 12 or more doublings. It is half as slow as Flight since you always have to prep for another long-range teleport. But, if this really bothers you, you can add another non-combat for another 5 points.

IIF when not in Use, OIF when in use. -3/4

Actually, I sort of like this one. What's wrong with it?

Edit: Oh, didn't notice the cost. What about an IAF/OAF for -3/4?

Back in the olden days before I started to GM (and realized how abusive this is), many of my characters had autofire and area effect on unusual attacks (ego blast, NNDs, drains, tiny RKA with the penetrating advantage, etc.). 5th ed. rightfully increased the cost of such builds, but they can still be quite effective:

The Rapid Fire Exploding Man

2d6 EB (10 points).

NND (+1). Make sure the defense is something that your character has.

Area effect 5" radius (+1).

Autofire 10 shots (+1, +1 for a non-standard attack power).

0 END (+1, because of autofire).

No Range (-1/2).

60 active points. 40 real points.

If I recall correctly, No Range area effect attacks always hit. That means all 10 shots hit, for an average of 70 STUN pips to everyone within 5" of your character. Zoiks! Most villains will fall instantly if they have neither the NND defense nor Damage Reduction.

If you want to get even more obscene, take a multipower and fill it with a few of these attacks, each slot having a different NND defense to guarantee that you'll be ready for any villain. Add a final slot with a BODY Drain for dealing with automatons that take no STUN.

John "not in my campaign" Speroni