Hulk Smash: What is your favorite version?

Corven_Ren

Re: Hulk Smash: What is your favorite version?

I liked the Smart Hulk.

2 reasons: 1) he deserved it, 2) I was tired of the main character as a plot device to the stories of others. He had no motivations save "Leave me alone" and occasionally "don't hurt my friends"; but with the brains and the brawn he could be proactive, work towards goals...It was nice.

I forgot to say which I preffered. I like the fully intergrated one. I have an old X-Factor cross over called War and Pieces where it shows him standing in the middle of a battle, wielding these huge guns and wearing pink bunny slippers he syas "Let's Reason Together"..also especially loved the 2 parter co-starring the Punisher where one of the last panels says "My head still hurt's Hulk." and the Hulk's reply is "Well Frank, if I had hit you with two fingers you'd still be out"

I like the way he was in his very first appearance. His skin was grey, his powers activated at night, rather than when he became angry, and he wasn't necessarily all that strong, or dumb.

The version that was a founding member of the Avengers was pretty cool too. He doesn't seem to have been quite as dumb as he was at other times.

For reading more than isolated issues? Smart (Banner) Hulk was more interesting as a lead character.

For isolated issues, or as a guest-shot, nothing beat angry green "Hulk smash!" Hulk. Better as a background character in the universe for other heroes to have to deal with from time-to-time than as a full-time comic on his own, unless they did it as a "team-up" style book - who's Hulk going to run across this issue?

Professor Hulk, definitely. He was the only one that came close to qualifying as a hero. When savage hulk defeated the Leader, or Wendigo, or the Abomination, it was strictly in self defense. There were no heroic or altruistic motivations at all. It was also nice to see him with a sense of humor. The Pantheon was fun, and I was sorry to see them go so soon. I was very disappointed to see the Hulk go savage again.

And what are these lizard-hulks running around...? :confused::sick:

Yeah, the integrated smart Hulk was way cool. Peter David did some great stuff with that story - the contact lens line has been mentioned but my favorite line was from Guiedo of X-Factor when the team was discussing the possibility of facing the Hulk.

G-Man "He is small and grey, nowhere near our power level"

Goverment type "Actually, he is green again."

G-Man "Ok, so he is big and bumb and green. We will just have to outsmart him"

Goverment type "Actually, he has fused with Dr Banner making him frighteningly smart, stronger than ever, and aggressive."

G-Man "Well, we are still pure of heart and will surely win."

:sneaky:

I was a huge fan of pantheon Hulk as well. Not only David's writing, but man did I love Dale Keown's art! For those of you who have access to truly esoteric comics, look for Dragonring, Dragonforce and Dragonforce Chronicles during the Keown years. Good stuff.

I was a huge fan of pantheon Hulk as well. Not only David's writing' date=' but man did I love Dale Keown's art! For those of you who have access to truly esoteric comics, look for Dragonring, Dragonforce and Dragonforce Chronicles during the Keown years. Good stuff.[/quote']

Too bad that stuff wouldn't hit trade paperback ... I liked a lot of that ;) Heck, I even enjoyed Pitt while it was semi-regular ;)

I like the idea of a Professor Hulk at his base emotional state who becomes more and more savage (not necessarily dumber) as he becomes more and more enraged. I want Professor Hulk to be able to make neat quips and be proactive in the plot but I also want to hear "Hulk Smash" occasionally.

Too bad that stuff wouldn't hit trade paperback ... I liked a lot of that ;) Heck' date=' I even enjoyed Pitt while it was semi-regular ;)[/quote']

I fortunatly still have most of the Dale Keown issues of the Hulk and I am hoping to get the few I am missin some day as well as finding the Jim Lee issues of Uncanny X-Men I'm missing as well.