Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

A couple of my teen champions characters found a new PC, a refugee from a VIPER experiment in the street, and offer to give him a lift to the police. As they drive, they realize where he's from and how brainwashed he is.

PC: Aaa! "This car is protected by Viper" ('cause it's in the back seat!)

Reminds me of something I saw once in an issue of Reader's Digest. There was a short

story in one of the news sections about a South Africa-based home security firm that

had an interesting approach to protecting the homes of clients who were going on va-

cations. They'd wait until the client (and family, if any) had left the house, then some

of their people would go into the house and turn several venomous snakes loose inside.

They would then post plenty of signs around the house to warn passers-by of the fact.

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Reminds me of something I saw once in an issue of Reader's Digest. There was a short

story in one of the news sections about a South Africa-based home security firm that

had an interesting approach to protecting the homes of clients who were going on va-

cations. They'd wait until the client (and family, if any) had left the house, then some

of their people would go into the house and turn several venomous snakes loose inside.

They would then post plenty of signs around the house to warn passers-by of the fact.

Although I admit that would be very effective, how do you turn it off?

In Teh Bunneh's Fantasy Hero Game the characters are getting ready to investigate the morders of some pilgrims visiting a local holy shrine.

Bri: Where are we going?

Damien: To the Trinity shrine of Goat'shead Moutain.

Quion: To the Trinity... and beyond.

Imagine Lady Hawthorne giving you all a very disapproving look about here.

Session 12 of Qin: The Warring States

(I suspect we're down to our last two sessions.)

The cast:

Black Cloud, a retired wu xia turned baker

Bu Ya, a calligrapher and vagabond

Silent Mountain, a wu xia and doctor

Wandering Vine, a barbarian, horse trainer, and internal alchemist

“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Moron”

The GM explains the mass combat rules, resulting in: “Will there be a test after this?”

“In Soviet Russia, stairs climb you.”

Silent Mountain: “I think the doctor is going to need to perform some surgery.”

Black Cloud describes his action: “Dramatic slow-motion pushing the chair back while white doves fly out from behind me.”

“Oh, f**k you.”

“That’s Bu Ya’s brother.”

“He can do the Tao of Backing Up Slowly.”

“buyagoestowar.com”

Although I admit that would be very effective' date=' how do you turn it off?[/quote']

While the story didn't go into detail about how the firm's employees recovered the snakes once it knew when the

client was due to return, I can think of a couple of ways that they could, as Narf put it, "turn it off".

One way would be to drastically lower the internal temperature of the house. Snakes, being cold-blooded creat-

ures with no way to regulate their body temperature, would eventually become dormant, allowing their safe

retreival (at least, as safe as can be expected where venomous reptiles are concerned - some of Africa's snakes

could give their Australian cousins some serious competition where toxicity is concerned).

Another way would be to use a fast-acting anestethic gas on the snakes (probably something like halothane; it's

one of the fastest-acting there is); once the snakes are out cold, it's collection time.

This is just speculation on my part; I don't have any real clue as to how they'd manage to collect all of the snakes

before the client's return (I don't even know if the firm even exists anymore - it's been about 20 to 30 years since

I had originally read that piece in RD - or what its name was).

Major Tom 2009

While the story didn't go into detail about how the firm's employees recovered the snakes once it knew when the

client was due to return, I can think of a couple of ways that they could, as Narf put it, "turn it off".

One way would be to drastically lower the internal temperature of the house. Snakes, being cold-blooded creat-

ures with no way to regulate their body temperature, would eventually become dormant, allowing their safe

retreival (at least, as safe as can be expected where venomous reptiles are concerned - some of Africa's snakes

could give their Australian cousins some serious competition where toxicity is concerned).

Another way would be to use a fast-acting anestethic gas on the snakes (probably something like halothane; it's

one of the fastest-acting there is); once the snakes are out cold, it's collection time.

This is just speculation on my part; I don't have any real clue as to how they'd manage to collect all of the snakes

before the client's return (I don't even know if the firm even exists anymore - it's been about 20 to 30 years since

I had originally read that piece in RD - or what its name was).

Major Tom 2009

My thought is that you don't have to actually turn the snakes LOOSE inside the house. Just place them in containers in various spots (taking careful note of how many and where they've been put) then, at the end of deployment, the snakes and their containers are just gathered up and re-counted.

Now, consider all that from the burglar's point of view. Sure, if you know this firm's MO, you KNOW the snakes aren't slithering around loose. BUT, will you really wanna mess with that house, especially knowing what may happen if you poke around in the wrong places? I think not.

My thought is that you don't have to actually turn the snakes LOOSE inside the house. Just place them in containers in various spots (taking careful note of how many and where they've been put) then, at the end of deployment, the snakes and their containers are just gathered up and re-counted.

Now, consider all that from the burglar's point of view. Sure, if you know this firm's MO, you KNOW the snakes aren't slithering around loose. BUT, will you really wanna mess with that house, especially knowing what may happen if you poke around in the wrong places? I think not.

Good point there; I suppose that doing it that way would make things easier. It'd

certainly lessen the chance of something happening like what happened in the

movie Venom (a late 70s - early 80s film in which three kidnappers were going to

snatch the son of a rich couple, only to have their plans go seriously South when

the little boy winds up having a Black Mamba -- no, not some blonde babe in a

yellow motorcycle outfit -- accidentally delivered to his house instead of to a lab.

The kidnappers wind up being bitten one at a time before the cops manage to kill

the snake; it's when everyone thinks that everything's all right that the camera

switches the view to the house's ventilation/heating duct system, which the snake

was using to move throughout the house, that you realize that the Black Mamba

was female, and that it had laid eggs in the duct system -- one of which was hatch-

ing just before the fade to black and the running of the credits).

Bri: Where are we going?

Damien: To the Trinity shrine of Goat'shead Moutain.

Quion: To the Trinity... and beyond.

It's Crow's Head Mountain, not Goathead Mountain! Geez. :rolleyes:

Another one from my Fantasy Hero game. A bad guy has come into town to "drop a dime" on his former bandit companions. He asks for protection, so the PCs set him up in the house of their mage, who has a rep for being... well... unstable, especially when she's having a bad day.

Damien: If you screw around or try to turn on us, the mage is going to do terrible things to you.

Bandit: I don't know. She seems pretty nice to me.

Damien: You say that now! You haven't met her when she's all !

:rofl:

Earthbender gets a critical hit on enemy: Welcome to the granite enema !

The technician's henchmen is an animate metal dog.

the party gets hit with an area effect lava attack,

which does hideous damage to everyone.

Except the dog is largely immune to heat based attacks,

so just as a dog would, it proceeds to shake off the lava off in 10ft. radius around itself.

doing just a teenie bit more damage to everyone again.

Fire-Bender: "All ex-girlfriends are violent. period. end of story"

Water-Bender: "maybe that's just the effect you have on women."

The party splits up. the main group is trudging up a mountain path to a remote village.

the remainder stay at bigger town, where the technician is building his airboat contraption

the journey was arduous, cold, and dangerous.

of course, when party arrives, the airboat is there waiting, smiling. Hi Guys!

We had an Embria session that was a bit of time-lapse, and a few vignettes

-------------------

Varga (OOC?): I cant wait to see this on "Scrolls from Last Night"

-----------------

Random QOTD: Kimmie fizzled out after a long day of rogue-ing

--------------

Metreon: Shes so Lawful she has Axiomatic nipples!

------------

Helda: Metreon! You startled me! How did you find us? We're at an Ent-moot in the middle-of-nowhere!

Metreon: I have my ways...*strokes his beard and looks sage*.....*grins* I LOVE saying that! :D

-------------

Varga: How is it here? How is the regent treating you?

Rhiannon: Things are going well. Ive been here a couple of months, and she hasnt tried to assassinate me even once! :D

The heroes are receiving their mail. As a replacement team, none of them are particularly famous.

Siafu: Oh! I got a fan letter! (reads) "Dear Siafu, Our teacher said we have to write a letter to our favorite superhero. I don't have a favorite superhero, so I threw a dart at a national list and I got you..."

A rather creepy necromantic villain has developed an obsession with the team leader. Also in the mail came a large wooden box. There's no return address, and the label reads "every woman deserves flowers and a puppy."

Beater: All right, I'd like everyone to take a step back. You don't all have to see this.

Heavy Metal: (slow on the uptake) Wait -- Shouldn't that box have holes in it?

The heroes are receiving their mail. As a replacement team, none of them are particularly famous.

Siafu: Oh! I got a fan letter! (reads) "Dear Siafu, Our teacher said we have to write a letter to our favorite superhero. I don't have a favorite superhero, so I threw a dart at a national list and I got you..."

A rather creepy necromantic villain has developed an obsession with the team leader. Also in the mail came a large wooden box. There's no return address, and the label reads "every woman deserves flowers and a puppy."

Beater: All right, I'd like everyone to take a step back. You don't all have to see this.

Ewwww...somebody get the Lysol -- and the Vicks Vapo-Rub. They're going to

need it. Big-time.

Major Tom 2009 :nonp:

Quote from a 1st time player (12 yr old son of an old friend/player).

GM: You see the gangster has no armor, and you can pull your 12d6 punch to just knock him out and do some body.

Player: Tear his head off!

GM: Hmm, you DO have a Strong CAK. Are you sure you want to do that?

Player: Okay, Tear his arms off instead!

If you get a box from a necromancer with a note that suggests there's a puppy in it you should put holes in the box - with a shotgun - from about 10 metres away.