Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Ok, this one was not witnessed by me, but was told to me afterwards, so my apologies if I don't carry it off right.

A GM was planning to get a Forgotten Realms campaign going and, out of curiosity, tried to work out the planetary physiscs that would allow a world that large to exist. His conclusion? The core of the world was made of marshmallow fluff.

This became his warning to the players when he started the game. "Just keep in mind as you play, the core of the world is made of marshmallow fluff, and you'll be fine."

At one point, rumors began to spread that the Drow in the Underdark were amassing to attack the surface world. In response, a number of the nations formed a coalition and gathered an army of exiled Drow to make a preemptive strike. Someone finally wondered how they could get so many exiled Drow and sent the PCs in an expedition to the Underdark to find out.

There, the PCs found one single Drow, dutifully turning the lights on and off to make everyone believe the Drow were still there. They later discovered the whole thing had been a hoax perpetrated by the Kobolds to push up arms sales.

Remember, the core of the world is made of marshmallow fluff. :D

Ok, this one was not witnessed by me, but was told to me afterwards, so my apologies if I don't carry it off right.

A GM was planning to get a Forgotten Realms campaign going and, out of curiosity, tried to work out the planetary physiscs that would allow a world that large to exist. His conclusion? The core of the world was made of marshmallow fluff.

This became his warning to the players when he started the game. "Just keep in mind as you play, the core of the world is made of marshmallow fluff, and you'll be fine."

At one point, rumors began to spread that the Drow in the Underdark were amassing to attack the surface world. In response, a number of the nations formed a coalition and gathered an army of exiled Drow to make a preemptive strike. Someone finally wondered how they could get so many exiled Drow and sent the PCs in an expedition to the Underdark to find out.

There, the PCs found one single Drow, dutifully turning the lights on and off to make everyone believe the Drow were still there. They later discovered the whole thing had been a hoax perpetrated by the Kobolds to push up arms sales.

Remember, the core of the world is made of marshmallow fluff. :D

Not kobolds, the gnomes.

BTW -- this lead to the observation that marshmallow fluff was the root of magic. Thus, a vial of the stuff was some of the most powerful magical stuff you could imagine. It also explained how the stuff in the Underdark survived -- it all lived off of marshmallow fluff seeping up through the crust.

Guest Major Tom

The Los Angeles Police Dragons were from a earlier campaign of "Teen Champions"' date=' where they started out as basically a street gang, fighting gangs sponsered by Viper and D.E.M.O.N.... they would evolve into a real superteam, and join the LAPD to avoid being drafted by the registration act.[/quote']

I've been wondering how one would pull off a Mod Squad-type campaign in

a superhero world...

Major Tom :D

Guest Major Tom

I think Feline Furies SID is a librarian. Complete with glasses, hair in a bun, button-up shirt, and short skirt. Combined with her current physique, she'll pegs so many fetishes she can simply fight crime by making the bad guys' heads explode.

And if her SID isn't a librarian, it should be.

What?

I don't see why FF couldn't be a librarian in her Secret ID. We've got at

least one feline-themed superheroine that's been posted on this thread

who happens to be a librarian.

Major Tom :sneaky:

since feline fury is so shall we say easily recognizeable maybe civilian id would be a more apropriate phrasethan secret id

Except that changes in dress can change appearance amazingly. Anyone remember WKRP? The two main female characters were Jennifer the Receptionist (Loni Anderson), who played the role primarily for cheesecake, and Bailey Quarters (don't remember the actress' name EDIT: Jan Smithers - thanks, New Hero!). In one later episode, they play a baseball game, and Jennifer shows up in short shorts and a brief T Shirt, with the usual results. However, Bailey's costume had to be changed in order to prevent her appearance competing with Jennifer's. They actually had builds that weren't all that dissimilar, but Anderson dressed to accentuate hers and Bailey to downplay it.

FF's a more extreme example, but that's comics for you.

Multi barrelled grenade launcher is being used. The grenades are color coded, but the players have ideas what the colors do.

Malinkya: I don't want you charging in there lobbing random grenades!

Sailesh: It's not random! It's RED!

Multi barrelled grenade launcher is being used. The grenades are color coded, but the players have ideas what the colors do.

Malinkya: I don't want you charging in there lobbing random grenades!

Sailesh: It's not random! It's RED!

Sounds like a game of Paranoia I once ran...

Supply Officer: You will be issued one rocket launcher, with a selection of ammunition. Ammunition includes solid shot, paint marker, anti-personel, armor piercing, incendiary, and nuclear. As you can see, they are color coded for your convenience.

PC Troubleshooter: Friend Supply Officer, what is the color code?

Supply Officer: What is your security clearance, Troubleshooter?

PC: Red, Friend!

SO: I'm sorry, that information is unavailable at that security clearance!

As long as were going for Paranoia quotes:

The PCs are issued a "Med-bot" that we find out, during the mission, was originally a Security-bot that had been re-tasked and reprogrammed.

Mostly.

The characters get into a fire fight, and one of them is badly wounded.

Med-Bot [with a robotic voice] *picks up the unconscious character by the lapels*: What is your blood type? *shake...shake* What is your blood type?...Wont talk, eh? *slap! slap slap!* We will get this information out of you eventually! WHAT IS YOUR BLOOD TYPE!

Chill, dude.

If you're going to be touchy about folks commenting about your character renditions, maybe you need to be more aware of what reaction they're going to get beforehand.

From what you've described, our reaction is pretty much what you expected when you created the character. Can you blame us for having it? :)

Moving on...

you mean like magic? :D

As long as were going for Paranoia quotes:

The PCs are issued a "Med-bot" that we find out, during the mission, was originally a Security-bot that had been re-tasked and reprogrammed.

Mostly.

The characters get into a fire fight, and one of them is badly wounded.

Med-Bot [with a robotic voice] *picks up the unconscious character by the lapels*: What is your blood type? *shake...shake* What is your blood type?...Wont talk, eh? *slap! slap slap!* We will get this information out of you eventually! WHAT IS YOUR BLOOD TYPE!

Puts me in mind of a long-ago 'Paranoia' session.

Our group also had a Med-Bot, also of very very dubious programming and capabilities. So, we held off on using said 'Bot for quite a while. It soon got quite impatient, asking after the Characters' well-being at every oppurtunity. Worrying for the group, that was for certain.

Then, we got ambushed by some Commie-Mutant-Traitors. Looked bad, but then I had a brilliant idea - I pointed at a squad of C-M-Ts and yelled at the Med-Bot, "MEDICAL EMERGENCY!!!".

The Bot then produced a remarkable array of instruments (it had several arms) and CHARGED the bad guys. Sadly, it got blown to pieces before it could close the range, but the distraction did buy our group enough time to take cover and return fire. As I recall, my Character did get an official slap on the wrist afterwards for non-regulation use of equipment but, well, it worked.

On the matter of "Mystery" ammo for the Rocket Launcher, yeah, we've been there.

In our case, we used one shot at relatively close quarters - it turned out to be an EMP, which fried most of the equipment on BOTH sides. That fight went Low-Tech fast. Later on, the other shot (thought to be AP) was used against one guy standing at the top of a hill (he hadn't actually done anything except just stand there, but there you go ...). That shot rurned out to be a Tactical Nuke - took out the guy (we think, never found a body) and the hill he was on.

Afterwards, a couple of the group complained about the waste of both shots. It was pointed out to them that things could have been much much worse - like if we had accidentally used the Tac-Nuke at close-quarters instead of the EMP.

Paranoia Logic:

Troubleshooter 1: We have color coded ammo, but we don't know what the color codes are for.

Troubleshooter 2: Do we have more than one of any color?

Troubleshooter 1: Just the pale blue ones with pink polka dots. Are you thinking those are the safe ones.

Troubleshooter 2: No, I'm thinking those are the tac-nukes. They are the ones we are most likely to try out at short range because we have reloads.

Cthulhu - Persistence of Vision ran at Swancon, as planned. Alas, it's reception was lukewarm - I think the players were expecting more combat, as opposed to roleplaying.

Although they DID find a quick way to paint a herd of zebras, by using the fruit-juice spraying machine and getting white horses to stand behind a picket fence

The only worthy quote to come out of it

Gunter Smits OOC : "I'm going to lie down and pretend to be dead"

Mark Douglas, OOC : "That how you survived World War One, was it?"

Ouch.

On the matter of "Mystery" ammo for the Rocket Launcher, yeah, we've been there.

In our case, we used one shot at relatively close quarters - it turned out to be an EMP, which fried most of the equipment on BOTH sides. That fight went Low-Tech fast. Later on, the other shot (thought to be AP) was used against one guy standing at the top of a hill (he hadn't actually done anything except just stand there, but there you go ...). That shot rurned out to be a Tactical Nuke - took out the guy (we think, never found a body) and the hill he was on.

Afterwards, a couple of the group complained about the waste of both shots. It was pointed out to them that things could have been much much worse - like if we had accidentally used the Tac-Nuke at close-quarters instead of the EMP.

I distinctly remember that the launcher didn't have enough range to get you beyond the blast radius of the nuke...

This was long ago, but Paranoia with me as GM...

They've just been issued thier medical bot, in a turned off state. They turn on the bot...

Bot: What is the nature of your medical problem?

PC: There is no medical problem.

Bot: shuts itself down.

After running through the sequence three times...

PC: I have a corn on my toe.

Bot: activates medical chainsaw.

Guest Major Tom

Puts me in mind of a long-ago 'Paranoia' session.

Our group also had a Med-Bot, also of very very dubious programming and capabilities. So, we held off on using said 'Bot for quite a while. It soon got quite impatient, asking after the Characters' well-being at every oppurtunity. Worrying for the group, that was for certain.

Then, we got ambushed by some Commie-Mutant-Traitors. Looked bad, but then I had a brilliant idea - I pointed at a squad of C-M-Ts and yelled at the Med-Bot, "MEDICAL EMERGENCY!!!".

The Bot then produced a remarkable array of instruments (it had several arms) and CHARGED the bad guys. Sadly, it got blown to pieces before it could close the range, but the distraction did buy our group enough time to take cover and return fire. As I recall, my Character did get an official slap on the wrist afterwards for non-regulation use of equipment but, well, it worked.

Yeah, a close-quarters-range nuking certainly qualifies as A Very Bad Thing,

all right...

Major Tom :eek:

Guest Major Tom

I distinctly remember that the launcher didn't have enough range to get you beyond the blast radius of the nuke...

This was long ago, but Paranoia with me as GM...

They've just been issued thier medical bot, in a turned off state. They turn on the bot...

PC: There is no medical problem.

Bot: shuts itself down.

After running through the sequence three times...

PC: I have a corn on my toe.

Bot: activates medical chainsaw.

Betcha that that procedure's not covered by Blue Cross...

Major Tom :sneaky:

Talking about D&D 3.5 on another thread got me to thinking about my Character from that system - Hymie, the Warforged Artificer / Monk. Boy, he was fun to play.

Quick explanation. Warforged are a race from the Eberron setting (also featuring iin the 4e Monster Manual). Basically, they are artificially-created beings, a little like golems, except that they are self-aware/ Whole bunch of special advantages (such as not needing sleep at all, being immune to a bunch of other stuff, etc.) and their own special problems as well. Well-suited to being Combat Monsters, but there are other possibilities. Extremely useful anyhow, every party should have one.

In any case, our mixed group was trying out 'The World's Largest Dungeon' for size. At one point, we encounter a Ogre. He was a rather pathetic specimen, and we decided to make peace and patch him up - taking the oppurtunity to get some useful information and so forth.

One of our group was a borderline (?) Munchkin, one of the "I-Am-Roleplaying-A-Chaotic-Neutral-Which-Means-I-Can-Do-Anything-I-Want" mindsets. To his way of thinking, this Ogre was nothing more than a bunch of XP to be collected, and he was all for killing this Ogre as soon as questioning was done.

Hymie and the Barbarian both opposed this strongly, the rest of the party somewhat less so. We were Good(ish), and did not like this notion at all. The guy was not a threat, had made a sincere effort to be helpful to us, and we had given our word not to hurt him as long as he behaved.

Mr Munchkin would not let it go. He really wanted those XP. He finally started talking about killing the Ogre the moment our backs were turned, and collecting all the XP for himself. He basically asked what we could possibly do to prevent this.

I really do not like internal party conflict, but I like Munchkinism even less. My response was direct eye contact and a full-toothed smile, with "Just remember. Your character needs to sleep. MINE DOESN'T."

Mr Munchkin immediately shut up and left the Ogre alone.

Good job! Players like that drive me crazy. If I were the GM, I would've let the player know, "Sure, you can cut his throat while he's bound and helpless. But you don't get XPs for that. You only get XPs for overcoming challenges, and killing a prisoner isn't a challenge."

Guest Major Tom

In Paranoia a close-quarters nuke is simply exercising proper self defense training.

Paranoia sounds like a game that'd be part of Mobile Infantry Basic

Training -- particularly the part dealing with how to deal with Bugs

at CQB range.

Major Tom :cool: