Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Guest Major Tom

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Cthulhu - Persistence of Vision ran at Swancon, as planned. Alas, it's reception was lukewarm - I think the players were expecting more combat, as opposed to roleplaying.

Although they DID find a quick way to paint a herd of zebras, by using the fruit-juice spraying machine and getting white horses to stand behind a picket fence

The only worthy quote to come out of it

Gunter Smits OOC : "I'm going to lie down and pretend to be dead"

Mark Douglas, OOC : "That how you survived World War One, was it?"

Ouch.

This post really needed a "Zinger Advisory" warning attached to it...

Major Tom :D

An actual, semi-heroic moment in a Paranoia game (sorry folks, context needed for this one - included behind the spoilers).

"Tell my clone, I died for freedom." *dramatic pause* "It's a Gundam!" *roar of explosions*

The GM (myself) was playing around with the tendency I'd noted in the Gundam series that whenever somebody yells "It's a Gundam!" they tend to die horribly, along with every one and every thing around them. This became the running gag for the episode.

In this adventure, Commie Mutant Traitors have developed a powerful new warbot that needs to be stopped. It's already razed several sectors.

Including the one that the briefing was held in. I had a figure of one of the Gundam bots or another (I don't follow it enough to know which one), and I would occasionally put it on the table. If anybody, and I mean *anybody* in the room came by and said 'It's a Gundam,' everybody had to add 1 to their clone count as the entire sector was annihilated by the Gundam warbots. It ended the briefing rather abruptly when they first saw the 'new warbot.'

Well, eventually they track down the bad guy who's behind this, an Ultraviolet-clearance lunatic who wants to take over Alpha Complex for the glory of Corpore Metal. He's shielded behind several layers of high-security defenses, and lots and lots of powerful robots who shrug off everything short of a tac-nuke. The players have the option of getting themselves slaughtered amusingly... or Plan B (AKA - screw up the GM's carefully laid out plan and end the adventure abruptly, but actually manage to technically win.")

Leading to the quote above. One of the Troubleshooters, realizing that they had a secret weapon, steps across the border into DAM sector (where the bad guy is based), and screams at the top of his lungs 'It's a Gundam.'

Which, as we've established, leads to the mass slaughter of everyone and thing in the sector. The bad guy's own overzealous warbots proved to be his undoing, and Alpha Complex was safe(?) for freedom(?) once more.

Guest Major Tom

An actual, semi-heroic moment in a Paranoia game (sorry folks, context needed for this one - included behind the spoilers).

"Tell my clone, I died for freedom." *dramatic pause* "It's a Gundam!" *roar of explosions*

The GM (myself) was playing around with the tendency I'd noted in the Gundam series that whenever somebody yells "It's a Gundam!" they tend to die horribly, along with every one and every thing around them. This became the running gag for the episode.

In this adventure, Commie Mutant Traitors have developed a powerful new warbot that needs to be stopped. It's already razed several sectors.

Including the one that the briefing was held in. I had a figure of one of the Gundam bots or another (I don't follow it enough to know which one), and I would occasionally put it on the table. If anybody, and I mean *anybody* in the room came by and said 'It's a Gundam,' everybody had to add 1 to their clone count as the entire sector was annihilated by the Gundam warbots. It ended the briefing rather abruptly when they first saw the 'new warbot.'

Well, eventually they track down the bad guy who's behind this, an Ultraviolet-clearance lunatic who wants to take over Alpha Complex for the glory of Corpore Metal. He's shielded behind several layers of high-security defenses, and lots and lots of powerful robots who shrug off everything short of a tac-nuke. The players have the option of getting themselves slaughtered amusingly... or Plan B (AKA - screw up the GM's carefully laid out plan and end the adventure abruptly, but actually manage to technically win.")

Leading to the quote above. One of the Troubleshooters, realizing that they had a secret weapon, steps across the border into DAM sector (where the bad guy is based), and screams at the top of his lungs 'It's a Gundam.'

Which, as we've established, leads to the mass slaughter of everyone and thing in the sector. The bad guy's own overzealous warbots proved to be his undoing, and Alpha Complex was safe(?) for freedom(?) once more.

Of course, as anyone who's ever seen any of the Gundam series knows,

another way to get killed that's almost as quick is to leave your lunch

unfinished before going into battle.

Major Tom :D

Middle Earth D2O:

=================

the DM forgot to name the Umbar Pirate Captain we'd been dealing with for the past 3 weeks, so we nicknamed him Cap'n Shakyguts.

============================================

Once in Umbar we are informed that the Black Cult worships death.

I assure our native guide that should I meet a member of said cult I will help him attend a service promptly.

====================================

the local stable boy attempts to handle our special horses at the hotel while we go out on business. my horse is a bonded ranger animal companion, and the Gondorian's horse is a monster clydesdale-type trained for war.

Stable Boy: I'll bring him an apple, that will calm the war-horse down.

Gondor: if he smells an apple on you, he will paw you with those hooves

(size of a dinner plate) until the apple rolls free.

==============================

at a large party, with all the raw elements of town;

corsairs of Umbar, haradrim mercenaries, rohirrin ex-pats, and like a whole rogue's guild:

drunk pirate: for 3 gold I'll belch the elven alphabet for you: å þ © ∆ æ ƒ § . . .

my drunk ranger: thash nothing, I'll belch the northman alphabet for youse, and its got 12 more letters than that elven shyte!

Paranoia sounds like a game that'd be part of Mobile Infantry Basic

Training -- particularly the part dealing with how to deal with Bugs

at CQB range.

Major Tom :cool:

Friend Computer would like to know how your Blue Clearance backside managed to get a hold of a Red Clearance Training Document.

Paranoia sounds like a game that'd be part of Mobile Infantry Basic

Training -- particularly the part dealing with how to deal with Bugs

at CQB range.

Citizen Tom! Please explain to friend computer how you obtained your knowledge of the Communist Traitors known as "Bugs" at your clearance level!

And please, no lying.

From my [Evil d20 System Which Must Not Be Named] game last week.

Marvin has acquired a new ability which lets him do a hilarious (for him) amount of damage in one strike. He is preparing to do battle versus a very large zombie-fied Ogre (the flesh kind, not the tank kind).

Marvin OOC: "I totally Voltron him"*

--------------

Neville tucks the two daggers he had out -- and had been hacking some zombies with in close quarters (!) hand-to-hand combat -- back into his boot-tops. Then he picks up his staff.

Neville: "Gotta carry a staff. I'm a Wizard."

* You must be THIS old to get that joke. Or be enormously Anime-proficient.

From this week's D&D4 game with my usual group of players.

Anostriana (Female Eladrin Wizard)(OOC): "We go drunk monster hunting."

Thalin (Male Half-Elf Warlord)(OOC): After looking over his character sheet as the party prepares to head off exploring some new caverns in Thunderspire Labyrinth, promptly exclaims with obvious surprise, "I have a riding horse!"

Baloner (Male Half-Elf Warlock): "It's times like this that I'm glad I'm a godless heathen."

Good job! Players like that drive me crazy. If I were the GM' date=' I would've let the player know, "Sure, you can cut his throat while he's bound and helpless. But you don't get XPs for that. You only get XPs for overcoming challenges, and killing a prisoner isn't a challenge."[/quote']

However, convincing a Ogre to assist you is overcoming a challenge, and therefore worth XPs!

Friend Computer would like to know how your Blue Clearance backside managed to get a hold of a Red Clearance Training Document.

Since Red is the lowest possible security clearance, and blue is one of the highest, I would assume that he asked for it.

Since levels of security clearance are trained into all clones from infancy, it is clear that you must be a commiemutanttraitor. Being a commiemutanttraitor is punishible by execution. Please report to the nearest execution center immediately. Remember, failing to report for execution is treason, and punishible by execution!

However' date=' convincing a Ogre to assist you is overcoming a challenge, and therefore worth XPs![/quote']

Well, as I said, he was a rather pathetic specimen - certainly up to scaring the small tribe of kobolds we had previously made peace with, but toast for anything tougher (such as adventurers).

In the end, I recall we convinced the kobolds that the Ogre would make a very useful guard for "their" waterhole (where he had chosen to live anyhow). Worked out for both sides, and for us. We began using that area as a semi-secure rest stop - decent water source, and the Kobolds provided some info and a little added security in exchange for the occasional trade from our forays.

Ah! I thought it was something filthy' date=' like FUBAR and SNAFU. :winkgrin:[/quote']

Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition

Situation Normal All Fouled Up

What's filthy about that (other than the circumstances which warrant the designation)?

;)

(some people just have filthy minds... ;p)

Since Red is the lowest possible security clearance, and blue is one of the highest, I would assume that he asked for it.

Since levels of security clearance are trained into all clones from infancy, it is clear that you must be a commiemutanttraitor. Being a commiemutanttraitor is punishible by execution. Please report to the nearest execution center immediately. Remember, failing to report for execution is treason, and punishible by execution!

Congratulations. You have passed the test and have been identified as not a CMT. Thank you Friend Citizen.

Shouldnt that be "CQC"? Acronyms arent fair if they dont use the letter the word starts with

B is for Battle' date=' personally i prefer th British army term FISH Fighting In Somebody's House[/quote']

Right, Close Quarters Battle. sorry 'bout that.

Guest Major Tom

Friends Ghost-Angel and Susano: Apologies for not being able to respond to

your queries earlier, but most of my day has been spent in practicing Escape

and Survival techniques -- primarily against some secbots that bear an un-

canny resemblance to the machines called 'Terminators'. I couldn't figure out

why they were after me until I came across your inquiries, courtesy of The

Computer. Fortunately, I was able to persuade The Computer that I did in-

deed have the proper security clearance for the information in question, and

it was kind enough to cancel the order for my execution.

To answer your individual questions: it's amazing what you can find out if

your ability to BS The Computer is good enough -- and you can convince

it that that information is vitally needed to root out the Commie Mutant

Traitors infesting the Complex.

Major Tom :eg:

Guest Major Tom

It could have been the one with the 15 Vehicles.

I always thought that one was cooler, personally.

Yeah, but can you imagine the legions of mechanics that suffered major

nervous breakdowns every time they brought the thing in for repairs?

"You busted the universal transmission fighting a what?! AARRRGH!!"

Major Tom :ugly:

Yeah, but can you imagine the legions of mechanics that suffered major

nervous breakdowns every time they brought the thing in for repairs?

"You busted the universal transmission fighting a what?! AARRRGH!!"

Major Tom :ugly:

My father served in the U.S. Air Farce, and had a cartoon showing a WW2 mechanic, working through the night to fix a damaged fighter. In about 16 frames, it shows the mechanic patching the radiator, repairing the engine, patching bullet holes, replacing tires, pulling the radio, reloading the guns etc etc etc. In the morning, exhausted, he watches the fighter pilot (who is clean shaven and clear eyed) climb into the plane...

A half hour later, the plane returns. The engine's smoking, the tires are flat, there are bullet holes all over it...