Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Guest Major Tom

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

What? My own submission did not pass muster? I am offended! :mad:

Just for that, I won't tell you the one in our Star Trek game involving the cloaked bear... :doi:

:winkgrin:

All of a sudden, I have two separate but related mental images in my head:

One is of a grizzly bear with a lobster ridge on its head and a bad attitude.

The other is of a grizzly bear with pointed ears, an unhealthy green complexion,

and an even worse attitude.

Major Tom :eek:

If this really did occur' date=' then you are morally obligated to tell the story.[/quote']

OK, since you asked so nicely... ;)

This occurred in a Star Trek game I played in, where the PCs were the bridge crew of a decidely unconventional ship (let's just say, we were convinced Peter David bugged our sessions when he wrote the New Frontier books).

The ship had both a snubfighter and a Marine complement aboard. Needless to say, there was some friendly rivalry between the flyboys and the gropos.

Now, the following story evolved from one of those moments in roleplaying where the storytelling takes off.

One evening, one of the PCs, the nonconformist navigator who grew up in a commune and could do astrogational calculations in his head, was chewing the fat with a group of Marines while they sampled the product of the secret still (did I mention it was an unconventional ship?) and mentioned meeting up with a bear when he was growing up back home. One of the Marines, of Amerindian descent, mentioned how hunting a bear was a rite of passage.

The Marines, heavily into their cups, decided bear hunting was just what the doctor ordered and piled into a holodeck, where they conjured up a forest with a bear in it. Armed with only their knives, they set off in pursuit. The bear, no fool he, set off for the nearest hiding place. This, unfortunately, was the holodeck arch, which the Marines in their inebriation had forgotten to close.

As soon as the bear crossed the arch, it de-rezzed (as anything created in the holodeck normally does). The intoxicated Marines, though, decided that meant the bear had cloaked and was now loose in the ship! They set off in frantic pursuit.

Now, imagine this scene. An engineering tech, checking off the readings on an EPS junction, is suddenly grabbed from behind. A Marine, holding a wicked-looking knife and smelling strongly of alcohol, whispers in his ear, "Have you seen an invisible bear around here?"

The frightened tech stammers, "N-no."

The Marine acknowledges, "OK," and disappears into the darkness.

The Chief of Security (another PC) started getting calls from a number of sections in the ship, complaining about drunken Marines hunting for a "cloaked bear." She got the skinny from the navigator and came up with a simple solution to avoid any unpleasant encounters between the security officers and the Marines.

She had her staff set up signs around the ship pointing back to a holodeck and saying, "This way to the cloaked bear." At the indicated place, a party was set up, with food and drink and a pacified bear to welcome the wearied Marines. The hunters arrived, were greeted, feted, and sent off to sleep the drunk off. Crisis averted.

The best part was the GM acting out the scene where the Captain woke up in the morning and read the report. :D

Thank you. It was that kind of a game. :D

I could probably fill a couple of pages with stories from it. We were inspired. :)

That was great, and better than some of the walls o' text we get sometimes. Go for it.

Ok, here's one from last night.

Our group is a bunch of super cops, called in to deal with a drug bust gone bad.

We're an eclectic bunch of superheroes: two mages, a physic, a powered-armor fox-girl, and a typical flying brick.

We got into a fight with robots. Our typical attacks are just barely denting the shiny blue meteorite metal these things are coated in.

Time to pull out some magic. I yell enthusiastically, "Shadow shards!"

"What the heck is shadow shards?" The other player asks.

"1.5d6 RKA, Any Special Effect, Penetrating."

Damage is rolled, only 1 BODY is Penetrating.

"The robot is going to take 1 BODY because the armor isn't Hardened."

Another player pipes up, "Unless it has Combat Luck."

GM looks up the robot and says with a straight face, "It has Combat Luck."

I look back at the critic, "Now, we know what Shadow shards are. They are what deflects off the robot's Combat Luck instead of penetrating."

PANG!!!

hits thread on head, to make it come back to its senses.

for quotes, you know....

D20 Middle Earth got rained out this week,

but next week we'll have more hi-jinx with the Universal Tools, which is what I've unofficially named out adventuring party since everyone wants us to do some sort of spy or provacateur work for them.

We had a new GM who was having difficulty keeping his plot on track when the characters did things he did not expect. The classic instance was when the heroes were trying to sneak into a castle. The GM had a very specific way he thought this would go down, but the players had other ideas. They decided to create a distraction at the front gate by propelling a flaming haycart against the castle gate, and while the guards were putting out the fire they would sneak in. That did not fit into the GM's plans unfortunately...

Players: "Okay, so the cart has crashed into the gate and is burning furiously. Riley uses his flight spell to get to the top of the wall and drops a rope to the others as soon as the guards leave to deal with the fire."

GM: "The guards don't leave their posts. They will spot Riley the moment he reaches the top of the wall."

Players: "What?! How can they ignore a flaming cart burning at the castle door?"

GM: "It is outside the castle walls, so it is out of their jurisdiction."

Now in our games, the phrase "Sorry, that's out of my jurisidiction" has come to mean "That is the stupidest thing I ever heard."

We had a new GM who was having difficulty keeping his plot on track when the characters did things he did not expect. The classic instance was when the heroes were trying to sneak into a castle. The GM had a very specific way he thought this would go down, but the players had other ideas. They decided to create a distraction at the front gate by propelling a flaming haycart against the castle gate, and while the guards were putting out the fire they would sneak in. That did not fit into the GM's plans unfortunately...

Players: "Okay, so the cart has crashed into the gate and is burning furiously. Riley uses his flight spell to get to the top of the wall and drops a rope to the others as soon as the guards leave to deal with the fire."

GM: "The guards don't leave their posts. They will spot Riley the moment he reaches the top of the wall."

Players: "What?! How can they ignore a flaming cart burning at the castle door?"

GM: "It is outside the castle walls, so it is out of their jurisdiction."

Now in our games, the phrase "Sorry, that's out of my jurisidiction" has come to mean "That is the stupidest thing I ever heard."

Our group's version of that came from a session I was not in attendance, but Susano was and he told me about it afterwards.

The heroes counted a mystical type among their ranks; from the description, I always pictured him as Exidor from the old Mork & Mindy show. :doi:

To make a long story short, while assaulting an alien ship (let me repeat myself to make things clear, AN. ALIEN. SHIP), the GM asks the mystic for his action.

He says, "I magesight the ship to see if there's anything magical on board."

This actually stopped the game as the GM stared at the player in disbelief.

So "I magesight the alien ship" became our codephrase for "that's a really stupid action." :D

Our group's version of that came from a session I was not in attendance, but Susano was and he told me about it afterwards.

The heroes counted a mystical type among their ranks; from the description, I always pictured him as Exidor from the old Mork & Mindy show. :doi:

To make a long story short, while assaulting an alien ship (let me repeat myself to make things clear, AN. ALIEN. SHIP), the GM asks the mystic for his action.

So "I magesight the alien ship" became our codephrase for "that's a really stupid action." :D

The player's name was Elidon. The PC's was Marko Thompson.

PANG!!!

hits thread on head, to make it come back to its senses.

for quotes, you know....

D20 Middle Earth got rained out this week,

but next week we'll have more hi-jinx with the Universal Tools, which is what I've unofficially named out adventuring party since everyone wants us to do some sort of spy or provacateur work for them.

This does not qualify as a quote (except for the fact that I am, indeed, quoting it). :rolleyes:

Also, I´m not sure why magesighting an alien ship is all that stupid. It´s alien- but are there magic items? Do the aliens use magic? MY concern would be that it´d somehow snap the mind of the mystic...

I was running a superhero game where I was planning to have the team ambushed by the enemy (an enemy, I should add, that the PCs knew existed and was out to get them). The PCs informed me that they were going to go out and "score a brick of hash" and share it among themselves. Two of the PCs declined, but the others proceeded to get deeply intoxicated. One of the sober PCs then tried to drive them home, and ran into the ambush. By a combination of bad dice, the driver was taken out quickly and the other sober PC took a shot that messed up his powers (he had requested a radiation accident, and this was step 1 in that process). I'd ruled that the stoned PCs needed to make DEX checks to get out to the fight, which they kept failing miserably. This lead to the comment "Forget getting out of the car, roll to find your toes!"

That group had "Roll to find your toes" as a similar codephrase.

(They were supposed to win that fight...)

new campaign! The following are quotes from character creation. the players are:

Silverbolt: Mage Energy Projector

Steamjack: Steam-tech Power-Armor

Ultrasaur: Corporate Mutant Brick

Pinpoint: Acupuncture Martial Artist

Andy: Mutant with Snot Powers (not present this time)

The quote that caused me to activate the recording function on my computer:

Steamjack: Do nuns really count as sentient beings?

Ultrasaur: No, I think they're parasites.

Steamjack: Feeding of god?

Ultrasaur: Yeah … it's not as funny the second time around.

Steamjack: No, it really isn't.

Ultrasaur: Damn you, recorder, damn you!

Ultrasaur has been playing champions for five seconds and is already tired of some genre traits:

Ultrasaur: Is Shamrock right up there with the Leprechaun and O'flamady along with Genericman and Clichéwoman?

GM: Welcome to the superhero genre, if it isn't a cliché it doesn't belong here.

The GM's introduction to the campaign:

GM: To discuss you guys we have to go across the sea to the town of Detroit.

Silverbolt (only player who knows the Champions setting): oh, crap.

Steamjack: how long does this take?

GM: you travel at the speed of montage, the only thing faster than bad news.

The player's have a low tolerance for generic names:

GM: Detroit was attacked in the year 2004 (I moved the setting ten years ahead, to be better able to play around with the end of the Mayan calendar) by the super villain Doctor Destroyer, a German scientist.

The players chuckle.

Steamjack (dripping with sarcasm): Wow, very original.

GM: Not my character, this stuff's official.

No clue where this came up:

Steamjack: If it looks like a diamond, smells like a diamond and tastes like a diamond… it's probably carbon.

A question of opponents:

Pinpoint: Are there any funky bad guys, like the Foreign Minister?

GM: The foreign minister is not a bad guy … as far as you know. He might be Doctor Destroyer … in disguise!

Some characters are stranger than others:

GM: So you want to be a steam powered...

Steamjack: A steam powered power armor. There does not have to be anyone in it.

Steamjack: Boiling water is not known for its intelligence.

No comment:

Ultrasaur: If I'm wearing a acid proof gag it's either furries or VIPER, either way some one would rescue me.

Silverbolt: Or Summon Popcorn.

The naming of teams is a difficult matter:

Ultrasaur: you may call me X2-3725, or Ultrasaur.

Silverbolt: Alright, C3PO, we need to stop with the complex names. But speaking of names, what shall we call our little gathering. I suggest The Magnificent Silverbolt and his Loyal and Stuart Minions.

Ultrasaur: How about the Millennium City Hexes?

Steamjack: that would be a better name if there were six of us.

Silverbolt (looking through phonebook): and its a bowling club.

Pinpoint (OOC): I watched a lot of TV before coming to America, so (IC) How about the Justice League?

Silverbolt: That's a private security company.

Ultrasaur: How about the Millennium League.

Silverbolt: Bowling league.

Ultrasaur: How about the Millennium City Axis? We're in Millennium City, and we're superheroes; Axis because we're on the axis of good.

Silverbolt: Pluming company.

Walter (DMPC): You know, we could buy naming rights for any of these.

Silverbolt: We could go with the Millennium City Guard … if that weren't a Taco company … huh, strange.

Magic doesn't exist on other planets?

Magic doesn't exist on other planets?

Of course not, silly! If it comes from another planet, then it's just alien technology. :)

I mean really, it's like complaining why no one recognizes Superman just because he wears those glasses. :doi:

Ultrasaur: you may call me X2-3725, or Ultrasaur.

Silverbolt: Alright, C3PO, we need to stop with the complex names. But speaking of names, what shall we call our little gathering. I suggest The Magnificent Silverbolt and his Loyal and Stuart Minions..

Stalwart, possibly?

(tried to rep, but....)

For some reason, these quotes kinda remind me of an old game... trying to pull up the IRC chat log...

[00:07] Roll 1d20+18 i just have to take you home to meat the folks

[00:07] Hiten rolled :1d20+16 i just have to take you home to meat the folks --> [ 1d20=20 ]{36}

[00:07] i win

[00:07] wow

[00:07] she's pinned

[00:07] a 1

[00:07] i have a sex slave now

[00:07] and u said me killing npcs was a bad thing

[00:07] so we win?

[00:07] 8,12Katsu get the wires

[00:08] umm

[00:08] this isnt boxing

[00:08] or wrestling

[00:08] 4,2I dont think its gonna be that easy

[00:08] yea, she looks pissed

[00:08] theres no way i could rope someone up enough

[00:09] im pretty sure she could just escape

[00:09] well i have what 3 more things to step on her troat?

[00:10] do what u want

[00:10] no, you have to keep dealing melee damage

[00:10] but tieing her up isnt gonna work

[00:10] shes just gonna escape

[00:10] hiten, how good is your fire resistance?

[00:11] 10

[00:11] OMGWTHBBQT3HNPC

[00:12] only thing i could do is fireballs

[00:12] my area attacks are too much

[00:12] i could handle dmg

[00:12] tick

[00:12] tock

[00:13] based on high hp and ura

[00:13] 8,12Hey katsu, the Firey hump tech!!!

A 'Boss' was beaten within 18 seconds.

Here's some random quotes:

8,5>>Hey General Sweetycheeks nice shot<<

11,5Don't taunt the girl with the death ray

* Kagato_Mishikami takes another drag

<02Kagato_Mishikami> 1,14God, these things are going to kill me one day if purple bears don't.

The player has just defeated a type of enemy known as a 'Rojin'

* Kagato_Mishikami Picks up body, and crucifies it out in front of the town. *

* Kagato_Mishikami adds a sign *

1,14Rojin Welcome

[00:28] 1,15Hey fatass

[00:29] 1,15Is your owner here.

[00:29] 1,15I'm here to offer him protection.

[00:29] * Kagato_Mishikami watches stunned gaurds

[00:29] 1,15I'm TALKING TO YOU DONUT MAVEN!

[00:30] 12,2 ??

[00:30] 1,15Do I need to slow down?

[00:30] 2,11 ??

[00:30] 1,15I

[00:30] 1,15am

[00:30] 1,15here

[00:30] 1,15to

[00:30] 1,15offer

[00:30] 1,15Vanul

[00:30] 1,15protection

[00:30] 2,11 errrr... ok

[00:31] 1,15Slow enough? Or do I need diagrams?

More are available on request. Hell, you can go to our chatroom in irc and read them yourself

Of course not, silly! If it comes from another planet, then it's just alien technology. :)

I mean really, it's like complaining why no one recognizes Superman just because he wears those glasses. :doi:

You realize that Clark Kent parts his hair on the opposite side as Superman...