Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Session Three and Four of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying

The Cast:

Captain America

Doctor Strange

Moon Knight

Spider-Man

"Samuel L Fury"

Nick Fury (OOC): "What are you doing on my heli-carrier?"

Doctor Strange (OOC): "I'm here to banish your snakes."

A player comments on Moon Knight's voice.

"What? Is Christian Bale playing Moon Knight?"

"Cap always looks sad."

Doctor Strange: "How did I float through a wall?"

GM: "You came in through a skylight!"

Spider-Man (OOC): "I believe Bob won't be playing Doctor Strange next session."

Moon Knight (OOC): "I believe Bob will microwave his dice next session."

Captain America (OOC): "Spider-Man crosses over with everybody. He's the slut of the Marvel universe."

Spider-Man: "No, that's She-Hulk."

Doctor Strange: "I'm going to high-tail it back to my body."

Captain America: "Wait, [Doom] has diplomatic immunity."

Spider-Man: "No he doesn't. That's a Doom-Bot."

(And I was right!)

Spider-Man: "'Take 'em down'? That's your plan? But you're Captain America!"

GM: "Cap is the only person I know that'd try and out-menace Doom."

Followed by:

GM: "Doom knows fear."

Given how the previous session of Cthulhu ended, I opened this session with a song I came up with on the drive into town for the game -

Tentacular, Tentacular, no words in the vernacular

Can describe this dread event

that you survived was wonderment

(survival rate was 10 percent - you must agree that's excellent)

The FIEEEELDS were alive, with the SOUND of SCREEEEAMIIING....

Actual retelling of the session to follow - despite only two players, they actually got major investigation done, solved one case, went insane, and had a deranged cannibalistic bite-fight with a 70 year old woman in the stairs of a two-story house.

I was very pleased.

DEATH WATCH 40K

The Ogryn, not having the needed Power Weapon Proficiency, still had to cut through an obstacle, and so

picks up the antagonist with a power sword by his feet, and uses that whole set-up to solve the problem.

Neither the sword nor the wielder survived the experience.

===

Our PC group ended up rescuing a bunch of VIPs cut off by the local civil war. Most are competent,

but we are babysitting a young navigator guild girl 13 years of age. (npc) She does not have her powers yet.

Earlier she had been quite hysterical about losing her ship and her parents.

The Rogue Trader had proffered her a variety of pills to calm her down.

She did not appreciate this, assuming they were like rohypnol or ketamine.

Later when we got to a place of relative safety, I gave our group the lecture about

"Everyone pulls their weight, Everyone earns their keep, Everyone fights, no one quits, no one loafs, everyone takes turns

cleaning up camp or sitting watch, etc. etc." About every fifth word I looked pointedly at the girl;

to give her the notion to be more like Princess Leia than Princess Aurora.

Finally we noticed she had no weapon. So when we did some looting of a Wal-Mart equivalent later,

I got her some pants, a cyan colored auto-gun and an autograph model Hannah Montana Mono-Filament sword.

This she immediately stabbed into the Rogue Trader, who was only saved at the last second by his guards.

===

Previously the player named his Ogryn Hanover.

Not a gaming story, but related. It has to do with my current short story, and I often use RPG source books for setting and trait ideas.

Cast:

Father Phaeus - male dwarf, priest of the Dwarven Orthodox Church, former shadow mage

Derke - male human, former necromancer

Syantere' - female elf, astrologer

Early on, Syantere' joins them in their quest to take down the world's oldest vampire, Lord Sanuto. This is conditional on her not using magic. Derke has been widowed for more than 10 years and never felt attracted to any woman since Kelestria died. He is strongly attracted to Syantere'. This leads to him having feelings of guilt and betrayal of Kelestria's memory.

I had to decide if the heroes were walking or riding between cities. Mounts would let them carry more items and they could go further in a day. If riding, Father Phaeus would have a mule or donkey and Derke a mare or gelding. Syantere' would have to ride double with someone. There wouldn't be room with Father Phaeus so she would have to ride with Derke. Derke has enough trouble keeping his thoughts about her marshaled without touching her.

Me (thinking): If she rides behind him, he'll be reduced to gibbering before they get a furlong from the city. If she rides in front, it'll be even worse.

Me (sighing): They have to walk. Derke can't make that many SAN rolls.

The Gamer's Guild Masks of Nyarlathotep Part Twelve - Essex and Soho

February 23rd to March 1st - Back over in the States, the first issue of the New Yorker has been published, and thermite has been used to break up an ice-jam in Washington. Similarly explosive have been the events in Essex, where the massacre of a dozen policemen has lead to front page news in most of the nation’s newspapers, questions have been raised in Parliament, and the authorities have gathered into a mutual arse-kicking circle while they try to find some-one to blame. After all, police might be wiped out all the time in the States, but Great Britain is supposed to be civilised, dammit.

The authorities did identify the scene of the massacre – Misr House – within hours, and storm the premises with police and troops from Colchester, but the site was abandoned. The discovery that Misr House is owned by Edward Gavigan, that oh-so-helpful Director of the Penhew Foundation, leads to raids on his apartment in London and the Foundation itself, but that gentlemen has already departed. Tewfik al-Sayed’s shop in Soho is also abandoned, and such patrons and businessmen at the Blue Pyramid that the police manage to round up deny all involvement in the cult.

Fakebottom certainly attracts some ire from the Chief Inspector assigned to salvage something from this disaster, and who is exceedingly unimpressed that the late Inspectors Barrington and Carlton allowed a woman, assorted foreigners, and an escaped lunatic along on the raid. Aforementioned Chief Inspector is head-butted unconscious by Fakebottom, but got off lucky – Fakebottom’s usual response to such abuse is to start stabbing people.

Fakebottom is duly incarcerated, and of course Aldous is still missing. And with Abbagale so badly brutalized during the ambush and escape that she’s going to be hospitalised for a month, if she’s lucky, and Timmons and Einstein being typically useless, that just leaves Agent Johnson is any semblance of good order. He spends most of his time at Abbagale’s bedside plotting bloody revenge against the cults, and wondering how difficult it would be to have Egypt, Kenya, and Shanghai napalmed.

But at least he chances across a familiar face, or vice versa. Virginia Kendall, whom they encountered back in New York at the Chelsea Hotel – clearly she’s an excellent judge of character, given she only met McGinty for 30 seconds and immediately recognized him as a threat to the sanity of the world.

Virginia Kendall:
He's a politician?!

Johnson
: Yes.

Kendall
: My hopes for the Colonies have just died.

Kendall
: It was very violent 30 seconds.

She also grew up in British East Africa – a useful fact, given the origin of the Bloody Tongue Cult.

Kendall
: Some of my earliest swear words were acquired from the servants.

She’s aware of the Carlyle Massacre too, and was approving of the authorities’ response.

GM
: They rounded up a few suspects and had them hanged, so justice was done.

Kendall
: Oh yes, they're very efficient - they'll always find someone to hang.

Once assured that McGinty is in no way involved, she agrees to drive Johnson out to Essex, via the taxidermy shop for the Hunting Horror-skin trenchcoat, to examine the scene of the crime and see if the police and troops missed anything.

Kendall
: Did you shoot it yourself?

Johnson
: Dynamite, actually.

Kendall
: Was it a rhinoceros?

Johnson
: Considerably larger.

Kendall
: My god! You blew up an elephant? That's not very sporting.

Kendall
: It came out of Africa? You didn’t shoot it there?

Johnson
: Oh no. Down in Warwickshire. On Lord Elwood's estate. And we used dynamite.

Kendall
: Well, they are a bit rough down there.

Misr House is indeed empty, as far as his first examination shows. Virginia wanders around the estate composing photographs of the austere winter landscape, leaving Johnson to go over the building with a fine-tooth comb.

Kendall
: Scream if you need help.

He discovers the secret stairway into the cells and torture workshop under the building – and the thing the cultists left behind to dismay potential investigators.

Frantically fending off the reanimated, magic-blasted, and rotten corpse of Aldous Quinn, Johnson eventually falls back to the Misr House kitchens, when repeated application of cast-iron skillets and pokers eventually persuades the revenant to lie down and stop trying to kill its former compatriot. The scene – the blackened corpse with a poker rammed through its skull, and leaking fetid fluids and rotten organs from the bullet holes in its torso, is what Virginia then stumbles in on when she comes to see how Johnson is doing.

He persuades her – and later, the police he calls in – that he found the corpse like that in one of the ovens. The fresh bullet holes will admittedly be difficult to explain, so he discards his duelling pistols into the English Channel - leaving him feeling rather naked, giving he’s used up all his dynamite, thrown away his only firearms, and left only with a fireplace poker and the ability to blow people up with his mind. The two explore the rest of the dungeon before the police and coroner arrive.

Their discoveries are worrisome – the ransacked remnants of a large torture chamber, occult workshop, and private library. Only one scroll remains of the latter, where it rolled under the torture rack – apparently pertaining to a spell it refers to as ‘Quicken Fog-Spawn’.

Johnson
: Quicken Frogspawn? I could get a lot of use of that in Egypt. Zap! Plague of Frogs!

Considerably more worrying is an unfinished letter to one Aubrey – presumably Sir Aubrey Penhew of the Penhew Foundation, and allegedly a victim of the Carlyle Expedition Massacre.

Dear Aubrey,

Elias has been dealt with in New York – You must stop Brady, It is stupefying that he has evaded us for so long. This man may become an obstacle to our Great Lord. If you wish I will

This letter, further evidence of collusion between the Cult of the Bloody Tongue and the Brotherhood of the Black Pharaoh, is compounded by the implication that Sir Aubrey is not only still alive, but actively colluding with the cult that supposedly killed him! At least Brady seems to still be on the side of good.

Of course, shipping Aldous’ remains back to the U.S. provides its own problems – mostly keeping them out of the hands of McGinty and that individual’s propensity of resurrecting anybody he liked enough as a vampire. Johnson would not put it past Governor McGinty to turn his testicle-eating wolfhound into a vampiric testicle-eating wolfhound, if the need arose, so allowing McGinty’s former bodyguard to suffer such a ghastly fate is unacceptable to the ONI agent.

And, of course, they still have to go back around to Miles Shipley’s house in Soho, and look at the rest of his paintings. If they are indeed precognitive, or even retro-cognitive, then the scenes they portray may prevent another disaster like that at Misr House.

Miles’ mother Bertha, 70, opens the door and peers myopically out at them.

Johnson
: How much sanity has she lost to her son’s paintings over the years?

Kendall
: Well, she’s probably too short-sighted to make them out.

Johnson
: Blindness – immunity to 90% of Mythos horror.

Bertha of course quizzes Virginia and Harold over tea, about their relationship, how they met, are they staying with family while they’re in London, do you have a home here, and other small talk. The repulsive Miles shows them the 20-odd painting in his garret studio, and the two investigators study the disgusting details in depth. For example, non-human shapes silhouetted against the forepaws of the Sphinx. Or huge bloated grey sac-like things pursuing something across a slimy swamp. One features a plague of dead fish, sharks, and whales dragging themselves up onto a beach.

Johnson
: McGinty’s revenge on the ocean, by zombifying the whole thing?

Virginia quite likes the one of the sailing ship in a storm, despite the huge beasts stirring in the sea beneath, and the one of an empty London cityscape, until she realises the mounds of white flowers growing everywhere are in the shape of human bodies.

Johnson is more worried by three paintings whose subject he recognises – i.e. one of the ‘Space Lobsters’ methodically extracting a human brain.

Shipley
: That one took a lot of work – the head kept changing colour.

Kendall
: You... seen them like this?

Shipley
: I always paint what I see

And a hyena-headed thing, likely the one that acquired the Necronomicon from Miskatonic University, at work in some kind of alchemical laboratory.

Shipley
: *
frowns

Johnson
: Not one of your favourites?

Shipley
: No. I think he saw me.

Bertha
: Now, now dear, don’t go on about that, you know how it disturbs the customers.

And a gigantic entity astride a black mountain, its face a single eyeless red tentacle – almost certainly the God of the Bloody Tongue, at the Mountain of the Black Wind.

Shipley agrees to sell them these three paintings for a grand total of £1000. Johnson persuades him to at least throw in the one of the ship if they’re paying that much and they head off to the bank to get the money. Upon their return with the cash, Bertha suggests Miles show them his special project – a huge canvas portraying an altar in the middle of a fern and horsetail-filled swamp. Abbagale leans in close to see if she can decipher the figures carved around the stunningly realistic altar.

Johnson
: *mutters* The worst that could happen is the painting is a portal to a swamp somewhere, and the mother pops up behind us with great big claws.

He’s right, too.

As he gawps at the empty air where Miss Kendall had been standing a moment before, Bertha drives her knitting needles deep into his back, puncturing his lung. Miles, grinning like a maniac, picks up the scissors he was using to cut the brown paper wrapping for the paintings, and prepares to finish the agent off.

Elsewhere, the understandably startled Virginia finds herself standing in a snake-infested tropical swamp, surrounded by tree-ferns, horsetails, and other thick vegetation. The same altar she saw in the painting is in front of her – but strangest of all, she can hear a jazz record playing in the distance.

Back in Soho, Johnson decides discretion is the better part of valour, and shoves his way past Bertha and Miles, the poison on the knitting needles making the wound go alarmingly numb. He reaches the bottom of the stairs before Bertha hits him with a sorcerous attack on his very mind, and he collapses in a fainting fit, completely at the mercy of Mrs Shipley and her murderous artist son.

Back in the swamp, Virginia finds a very handsome dark-skinned man in immaculate black trousers and sunset-red shirt and waistcoat, finishing off a packed lunch as he listens to ‘Dead Man Stomp’ on a portable gramophone.

Kendall
: I don’t quite know how I got here.

Charles Tow Aching
: That would be a universal feature of the human condition.

He makes Virginia an offer – he can get her home safely, on one condition.

Aching
: At some point in the future, Miss Kendall, you will come into possession of a certain item. When I request it, you will give me that thing without prevarication or delay.

Kendall
: Er... can I ask what the thing is?

Aching
: Certainly. But that information, too, will have a price.

Kendall
: What happens if I refuse your offer?

Aching
:
*gestures to the surrounding featureless snake-infested swampland, with no sign of civilisation in any direction*
Then you are welcome to hang around here. But I’m sure you don’t want to meet whoever made that altar.

Kendall
: Was it made by people?

Aching
:
*just smiles*

She reluctantly accepts Aching’s bargain, and no doubt to the agent’s relief if he ever regains consciousness, reappears back in the garret studio before Miles can cut Johnson’s throat. Her reappearance startles Bertha badly, and the elderly woman attempts to blast Virginia’s mind just as she had Johnson’s. The attempt succeeds, but instead of causing Miss Kendall to faint it drives her into a cannibalistic frenzy, and Bertha promptly tumbles down the stairs with a deranged Englishwoman trying to eat her face.

Miles bears the brunt of the fall, half-crushed under the weight of falling madwomen, for some time Bertha and Virginia wrestle on the stairs, Virginia trying to bite Bertha’s face off, and Bertha apparently trying to respond in kind.

At one point, Johnson comes around long enough to land a devastating and indeed fatal sucker-punch on Miles, as that individual was feeling around for his dropped weapon, but then both are further crushed under the falling combatants as they tumble down the rest of the stairs.

Bertha decides that the Englishwoman hanging off her ear by her teeth is crazy, struggles free, and attempts to flee for the door. Virginia, reluctant to let her chosen prey escape, tackles her to the ground and tries to stab her repeatedly in the neck with the scissors, but the wounded septuagenarian manages to throw her off and escape into the Soho streets.

But not to worry. Even if Bertha Shipley escaped, there’s still Miles and Johnson to snack on. Let’s hope Virginia eats her fill of Mile’s face before she starts on her friend....

Given that Aldous has been described as a living engine of death and destruction' date=' well done to Johnson at taking down the undead version.[/quote']

*nods* he was actually rather alarmed when Zombie-Aldous jumped him, but he got away without a scratch. Of course, a few days latter he was nearly killed be a septuagenarian, so it was probably just blind luck.

I was at a LAN party this weekend, all mil.veterans or retired; in the room were 14 marines,

one army guy, and me the 1 air force dude.

The game we were playing was Battlefield 2; with all Marine Corps Mods added thereon.

It was a ton of fun, but after a while to stir it up I yelled "Don't ya have any Delta Force missions loaded ?!?"

then Team Leader, a retired USMC officer, tells me "no, this group tends to pee while standing, so no Delta Force"

Pardon this old nostalgia quotes, but I'm returning to Hero Games and I wanted to remember this as well as resubscribe to this thread.

In my HeroCentral game:

Witchcraft (of the Champions) has been stalked every night by a group of unknowns. "Last night," she was chased and attacked by 20 men, but rescued by two PCs, Amazon and Pinky (both female supers). The next day, a strange attack by three villainous supers takes place at the New Urbana Galleria. They commandeer a news camera and challenge and heroes of light, saying that their dark lords will win, destroy the planet, etc. At the same time that the New Urbana Galleria is being attacked, Homestead is attacked by at least six DEMON agents. The six DEMON agents get captured as do the three villains who attacked the NUG. During the commotion, Witchcraft "mysteriously" disappeared. The police suspect abduction since there was were tire tracks in Joggers Park and they began at the fire exit of the New Millennium Theater (the last direction Witchcraft was seen heading). Our team of supers has NINE captured villains, six of whom are verifiable DEMON agents, the other three spouted off about evil and darkness.

Amazon: Unless [Witchcraft] managed to get away and is now hiding somewhere, I think that we need to find the people who were trying to capture her to get her back or stop them so that she doesn't have to worry about them chasing her again.

GM: :jawdrop:

I as the GM, Try to drop a less-than-subtle hint...

NPC: "Didn't you just capture some of them? I know I haven't been to the patty wagon, but word travel fast and we were told you captured two or three of these people here, not to mention some at Homestead." She aims her badge at Amazon, revealing her name is Georgia Marshall, and says, "Now, I know I'm generally the forensics team and not a street detective, but shouldn't you ask whomever you've got? I'm sure the real detectives will if you don't."

Later, three PCs try to discover any "clues" left by the tire tracks, even while the police crime scene investigators are doing their seach. With them having successful PER rolls, I tell them there is no tell-all clue and that the one with criminology sees the police are doing everything right in gathering evidence.

Snow Leopard: Been told no rescued civilians came out the theater door, so they believe this is where Witchcraft was taken. (OOC) That sounds intriguing, thank the officer and go through the open door.

No one thinks to question the captured NPCs yet, so I title a post called OIGMPD ...

GM as Sapphire: (Being prevented from blasting captured people in the face) No! They know where Witchcraft is, damnit! They're the ones who've been following her! They're the ones who created this distraction! They sent their agents to Homestead as well to make sure they got her! I want some answers!

GM as PRIMUS agent: Hey, hey, hey! Calm down! I know you want answers, we do to. But we're the good guys. You can't just go threatening to blast their faces off if they don't tell you.

GM as Sapphire: Then how am I supposed to get my answers?!

GM as PRIMUS agent: Just go down to the station. I'm sure they'll let you ask once these guys have been searched and processed.

PC responses from hearing this...

Snow Leopard: Continues search in theater

Field Test: (Asking PCs and NPC heroes about tire tracks) Don't suppose any of you are all that good at tracking, are you?

Pinky: shakes her head at Field Test... "Sorry if it was a chemical analysis or a Latin translation...I would be the one to go to...but tracking..it's not my thing."

Some days, you can't even throw a clue brick at your players, because they'll look at knockback instead. :o

And this followed soon after, which makes me still laugh:

cluebat.jpg

(I've been think of getting this on a t-shirt for when I Gm.)

Pardon this old nostalgia quotes, but I'm returning to Hero Games and I wanted to remember this as well as resubscribe to this thread.

And this followed soon after, which makes me still laugh:

But...I'm Afraid of Bats...that is why Bat-dude is sooo scarieyyy...

Speaking of Clue-Bats, and since Agent Johnson and Virginia are going to laid up in hospital for some time (assuming Virginia doesn't just get looked up when the Shipley's neighbours wonder what all the commotion is and come over to find Virginia gnawing off the late Miles Shipley's face), they should have plenty of time to go over all their accumulated clues.

Since the most important one is the late Jackson Elias's last scrawled writings (yes, it was in italics) I'm anticipating something like "But.. but we read that!" to which I was say "Yes, yes I know." "How did we miss a clue that obvious?????". and my "If you ever figure it out, please tell me."

Being a D&D4 player' date=' I wouldn't.[/quote']

I hope you didn't take offense. I meant that line to be satirical, not offensive. I also play D&D 4, so I thought that comment was well with in my wheelhouse. In my experience as a D&D player, I rarely need to do any of those things I listed.

I hope you didn't take offense. I meant that line to be satirical' date=' not offensive. I also play D&D 4, so I thought that comment was well with in my wheelhouse. In my experience as a D&D player, I rarely need to do any of those things I listed.[/quote']

It is probable I have become more than a tad over-sensitive here.

I like D&D4 (though definitely not a fanboy) and can cope with the fact that some people feel otherwise - there are systems I wouldn't touch with a twenty-foot cattle-prod for various reasons, good OR bad. But my real issue is the degree of personal stuff that has come with it - that anyone who supports the system MUST be turned on to the "right" path. I've gotten that crap a couple of times from people / groups previously thought very tolerant, and it has left me a tad bitter.

Accepted that you weren't trying to be offensive, M74. I apologize if my own reaction was out of line.

Excuse me!! What is with this "being reasonable and polite and trying not to cause offense" crap?! These are the interwebz! Get with the program!!

Now, I want you two to call each other stupid and belittle each other's favored game systems. Right now, or there's no pie for either of you!

Excuse me!! What is with this "being reasonable and polite and trying not to cause offense" crap?! These are the interwebz! Get with the program!!

Now, I want you two to call each other stupid and belittle each other's favored game systems. Right now, or there's no pie for either of you!

Ahh, I see your a fan of the "When there isn't a flame war, apply napalm" approach to forum politics :)

Problem is, I don't have a favored game system ... what kind of pie, exactly?

Well, e-x-c-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-s-e me!

;)