So why do you play Hero?

nexus

A positive thread to hopefully off set some of the negativity I have had a place in spawning. Why do you play Hero System? What do you like about it. There's plenty of other systems out there to try, so what draws you to Hero in particular?

Please, I ask that we try to keep this postive. There's plenty of threads for backhanded compliments and bickering. Also if you have chosen to play another system primarely, that's fine. This thread isn't to belittle you or your gaming desicions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: So why do you play Hero?

I play it because it's the only system I've found that does Superheroes justice in my desired style of play.

The fact that it allows me to function in other related action-adventure settings quite well for the most part is additional icing on the cake.

Overall, it's a good balance between structure and flexibility.

There's enough structure in the important things to give players and the GM direct control, without bogging down too much into insignificant detail like "thermal factors" for clothing (though IMO HERO has been moving more towards this). It's crunchy enough to be satisfying without choking you. :)

I can create exactly the character I want, in as much detail as I want.

Oh, and I can punch sombody in the face and knock them out without killing them. (It's amazing to me how many systems overlook that.)

With all that I could say about the system, the (current) publishers, and the support both published and fan-free, the biggest factor for me is the people who play HERO. Seriously. There's something about this game that tends to attract more mature, thoughtful, creative gamers than any other RPG I've tried or had contact with. There are certainly exceptions, but overall that's been my experience. The quality of the Internet community drawn to this website only reinforces that impression for me. :)

Guest bblackmoor

I play Champions because the people I play superhero games with already know how to play it. Most of us who play superhero games have been playing Champions since the early 1980s, and nowadays we're all too busy to go looking for a new game. Once in a while someone will mention another game, and maybe even try to get everyone to try it, but inertia keeps us with Champions.

I'm sitting in the movie theater watching [____________] and as the characters on the screen are performing amazing feats, in the back of my mind I can rattle off things like,

"hmmm, he grabbed that guy and held him in the air with one hand, easily a 23 strength."

"oooh 4 thugs a the same time? sweep maneuver has modifiers, he must have at least a 20 dex, probably 3 combat levels too"

"that sword sure is sharp, must have done 20 body to that poor sod"

"hmmm the train has at least 5 cars and is full of people, plus it s moving like 60 mph, if the entangles are 5d6, and he's obviously pushing, he needs to have a 45 strength to stop the train if 4 webs broke"

I'm sitting in the movie theater watching [____________] and as the characters on the screen are performing amazing feats, in the back of my mind I can rattle off things like,

"hmmm, he grabbed that guy and held him in the air with one hand, easily a 23 strength."...

That's not a positive. That's a disease.

:winkgrin:

Because I can do anything with it.

I can run any genre of game my twisted heart desires and I can tailor the rules to the campaign without rewriting half the system. I can make characters that are fully fleshed out at creation, and don't REQUIRE years of play time to become what I wanted them to be at the start. I can create any virtually effect I can dream up. Even if its a total game breaker, I can still DO it, and can tell WHY and HOW its'll be a game breaker. Because, with a deft flick of the pen on a groundrules sheet I can decide if a campaign is going to be a silver age swashbuckling game where death is rare and plot driven or a gritty, shades of grey, lethal game.

Because, in 26 years of gaming, I've never found a better system.

Familiarty, flexibility... modifiable... can do any genre at the drop of a hat.

(What I've really liked is that over time I've been able to insert more Nar mechanics without breaking the fundamental Sim nature of Hero... and that has kept me playing it, when I would have gone elsewhere.)

1. It's an excellent, extremely flexible system.

2. If there's any system out there that I would like more, I never found it. I eventually concluded that it was a waste of time and money to try.

3. I've been playing it for two decades or so, as have most of the folks I play it with. We all know the rules fairly well, and have a common understanding about what optional rules are worthwhile when, how strictly to follow the letter of the rules, etc.

It is a flexible system that has yet to fail to run any genre or genre cross I run at it. I love the speed chart. I love the fact there is no randomization in character creation.

And after 20 years with the system, I have the rules so strongly imbedded in my brain that they are instinct and thus, when I run, I never need to think of rules, but only on story, characters and plot. Something I cannot do with another system.

Familiarty, flexibility... modifiable... can do any genre at the drop of a hat.

(What I've really liked is that over time I've been able to insert more Nar mechanics without breaking the fundamental Sim nature of Hero... and that has kept me playing it, when I would have gone elsewhere.)

What kind of Narrativist mechanics have you inserted? Start another thread if you feel it's warranted. I'm very curious.

I started playing Hero because it was the first game that did superheroes the way superheroes should be done. I kept playing because it also did everything action/adventure just as well. Hero System has some of the best concepts incorporated into the rules and offers the best flexibility of choices in play. It's the only system I know of where you can play a game where you can knock people out without killing then, and play another where you tend to die before you black out... all with the same rules! No other system does that.

Because it lets me design my own world, in my own way. It lets my group and I tell stories together, in a fluid fashion, without having to flip through many rulebooks looking for all of the exceptions to the power stunt/spell/feat. It lets me base character development on roleplaying, rather than leveling. It has wonderful support, both from the publishers and the fans.

It is the game system that I have played the most during the last 22 years, across the most genres.

JoeG