What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

"Duel with the Devil" by Transatlantic*, from the album, Bridge Across Forever.

JoeG

* Made up of Neal Morse from Spock's Beard, Roine Stolt from the Flower Kings, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater, and Pete Trawavas from Marillion.

"867-5309 (Jenny)" - Tommy Tutone

"Summer of '69" - Bryan Adams

"Jessie's Girl" - Rick Springfield

"Two Princes" - Spin Doctors

"99 Red Balloons" - Nena

"Blister in the Sun" -

"Sweet Emotion" - Aerosmith

These are some of the songs Last Kid Picked played at the Aquafest last night and I'm listening to the original versions on YouTube.

"867-5309 (Jenny)" - Tommy Tutone

"Summer of '69" - Bryan Adams

"Jessie's Girl" - Rick Springfield

"Two Princes" - Spin Doctors

"99 Red Balloons" - Nena

"Blister in the Sun" - Violent Femmes

"Sweet Emotion" - Aerosmith

These are some of the songs Last Kid Picked played at the Aquafest last night and I'm listening to the original versions on YouTube.

Go here, now!

http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/2010/07/22/new-daft-punk-zomg/

The soundtrack for the new Tron movie is from Daft Punk!!!

Vast improvement over the previous film. (Journey, and Wendy Carlos, who used to be Walter Carlos, before her/his operation.)

The soundtrack for the original movie gets frequent play on my computer/iPod, mainly for the "Creation of Tron" sequence, and some of the incidental music. The Journey tracks, it should be noted, are primarily background music in Flynn's arcade, and fit very well in that context (not so much for regular listening).

The Daft Punk tracks presented here feel more like a Hans Zimmer score (several of the tracks have a definite "Dark Knight" feel), and while that's fine, I'm not sure that it's a "vast improvement" over the original. There's also almost 30 years between the two movies--so I'd expect the music to be a bit more polished. The original music sounded computer-like (for 1982), and fit the movie well, in my opinion. I'll need to hear the new pieces in context (watching the film) to actually judge if they are more successful.

Currently playing "Medley Four (All Innocent Children Had Better Beware): Feed the Birds" from the album, Stay Awake: Various Interpretations of Music from Vintage Disney Films

JoeG

The soundtrack for the original movie gets frequent play on my computer/iPod, mainly for the "Creation of Tron" sequence, and some of the incidental music. The Journey tracks, it should be noted, are primarily background music in Flynn's arcade, and fit very well in that context (not so much for regular listening).

The Daft Punk tracks presented here feel more like a Hans Zimmer score (several of the tracks have a definite "Dark Knight" feel), and while that's fine, I'm not sure that it's a "vast improvement" over the original. There's also almost 30 years between the two movies--so I'd expect the music to be a bit more polished. The original music sounded computer-like (for 1982), and fit the movie well, in my opinion. I'll need to hear the new pieces in context (watching the film) to actually judge if they are more successful.

Currently playing "Medley Four (All Innocent Children Had Better Beware): Feed the Birds" from the album, Stay Awake: Various Interpretations of Music from Vintage Disney Films

JoeG

Maybe it's just because electronic music has come such a long way; when I listen to 'electronica' from 25-30 years ago, it just seems unimpressive (to me) compared with more recent material. I guess the same could be said when comparing visuals between the two films. It makes me wonder if the original Tron was 'ahead of its time' or maybe just too ambitious.

Maybe it's just because electronic music has come such a long way; when I listen to 'electronica' from 25-30 years ago' date=' it just seems unimpressive (to me) compared with more recent material. I guess the same could be said when comparing visuals between the two films. It makes me wonder if the original Tron was 'ahead of its time' or maybe just too ambitious.[/quote']

Technology changes. The original Tron movie pushed the limits of the computer technology of the time. But things that would require literally days to render are now handled by "low end" video cards in real time. Heck, the Cray supercomputer used for rendering graphics for "The Last Starfighter" a few years later wasn't as powerful as the original Xbox.

As far as electronica goes, I'm perhaps more tolerant than you are for the faults in the Tron soundtrack (and there are many). I tend to approach electronica more from the ambient side (Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Klaus Schulze, and so on), than the dance side, and Tron fits better from that direction.

My reaction to the new Tron material (from Daft Punk) was actually about how "mainstream" it was. When folks first heard The Wendy Carlos Tron score, it was something different than most movie soundtracks at the time, which usually were either collections of singles or symphonic pieces borrowing heavily from classical themes. While there were two Journey songs on the Tron soundtrack, it most definitely did not fit into either category. The new Daft Punk Tron soundtrack, from what little I heard, fits comfortably into the structure of modern, action/adventure movie soundtracks, even going so far as to resemble the work of another (movie) composer, Hans Zimmer. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I like his work (I have quite a few of his soundtracks). It just means, to me, that perhaps Daft Punk isn't attempting to push boundaries, for whatever reason*.

Currently listening to "Greatwood" from the Fable Original Soundtrack.

JoeG

*My fear is that perhaps Disney is telling them to "make it sound like this", or that they are using Zimmer to "finish out" the score. It's one reason that I wish to withhold judgment until I see the finished film.

My reaction to the new Tron material (from Daft Punk) was actually about how "mainstream" it was. When folks first heard The Wendy Carlos Tron score, it was something different than most movie soundtracks at the time, which usually were either collections of singles or symphonic pieces borrowing heavily from classical themes. While there were two Journey songs on the Tron soundtrack, it most definitely did not fit into either category. The new Daft Punk Tron soundtrack, from what little I heard, fits comfortably into the structure of modern, action/adventure movie soundtracks, even going so far as to resemble the work of another (movie) composer, Hans Zimmer. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as I like his work (I have quite a few of his soundtracks). It just means, to me, that perhaps Daft Punk isn't attempting to push boundaries, for whatever reason*.

Carlos is definitely part of the classical tradition -- her recordings of Bach on the synthesizer are legendary, and she adapted Beethoven themes for her score for A Clockwork Orange (the anti-heroic protagonist was obsessed with "Ludwig Van", so it was a natural fit of theme and style).

Carlos is definitely part of the classical tradition -- her recordings of Bach on the synthesizer are legendary' date=' and she adapted Beethoven themes for her score for [i']A Clockwork Orange[/i] (the anti-heroic protagonist was obsessed with "Ludwig Van", so it was a natural fit of theme and style).

True, much of Carlos' work reflects a classical source. There's a bit more dissonance in the Tron soundtrack, so it's definitely not reflecting Bach, or Beethoven. It's more of an evolution of her work for "The Shining", in my opinion.

Now playing: "Greetings Ghosties" from the Wendy Carlos album, Rediscovering Lost Scores, Volume 1. Also in the queue: Tron OST

JoeG