DC's turn toward the dark

Dominique

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: DC's turn toward the dark

Remember how I detailed recently how Alfred Pennyworth had just become a cold-blooded murderer?

According to spoilers for BATMAN #644, out earlier today, Dr. Leslie Tompkins has just joined him on murderer's row.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=76127

And this one made Alfred look as innocent as, well, Starguard.

And this stuff is why I have stopped collecting comics. Very recently.

Yeah' date=' but not all comics are that badly written.[/quote']

But they seem to be going in that direction. Identity Crisis, Avengers Disassembled, Infinite Crisis, etc.

I'm considering getting a subscription to the few comics I find good.

Invincible

PS238

Nodwick

• 1 month later...

From Mark Waid about Infinite Crisis:

"The good news is, and I guarantee you this, when we're on the other side of the CRISIS, those days are GONE. Just gone. We're sick to death of heroes who are not heroes, we're sick to death of darkness. Not that there's no room, not that Batman should act like Adam West, but that won't be the overall feeling. After all this stuff, after everything shakes down, we're done with heroes being dicks. No more we screwed each other and now we must pay the consequences. No, we're super-heroes and that's what we do. Batman's broken. Through no ONE person's fault, but he's a dick now. And we've been told we can fix that."

Sounds good to me!

Rob

re: Mark Waid's writing...

Maybe it's true *this* time, but the last several times that DC writers and editors promised us that it would all get better if we hung on a little longer... it didn't.

I mean, I've been hearing variants of this speech ever since IDENTITY CRISIS ended... and that was last summer.

I refuse to believe the SOBs until after I see it. As I've said before, Lucy can only snatch the football away so many times before this Charlie Brown stops tryin' to kick it.

re: Mark Waid's writing...

Maybe it's true *this* time, but the last several times that DC writers and editors promised us that it would all get better if we hung on a little longer... it didn't.

I mean, I've been hearing variants of this speech ever since IDENTITY CRISIS ended... and that was last summer.

I see no need to hang on, just check it out after the relaunch. I suspect that everything they're doing now in the mainstream universe will be washed away soon anyways. Pity for titles like JSA, but good for most of the rest of the universe.

I refuse to believe the SOBs until after I see it. As I've said before, Lucy can only snatch the football away so many times before this Charlie Brown stops tryin' to kick it.

And redirect the kick somewhere else...

I see no need to hang on, just check it out after the relaunch. I suspect that everything they're doing now in the mainstream universe will be washed away soon anyways. Pity for titles like JSA, but good for most of the rest of the universe.

If they do drop the JSA, I'll probably just stop collecting DC altogether. Not too hard, as they're the only DC title I *do* make pains to collect... and I must admit, that was because they had the Star-Spangled Kid (go Courtney!).

Is it just me, or does the JSA get sacrificed in every single major crisis the DC Universe goes through?

So there's some sort of Crisis happening AGAIN?

Since the only DC title I read is JSA, and that only in trade collections now, I completely missed it.

I guess I'll see it eventually.

They have another monthly and a year long weekly to get through, then after shocks. So who knows when this will all be collected.

CES

They have another monthly and a year long weekly to get through, then after shocks. So who knows when this will all be collected.

CES

Le sigh. Le grand sigh...

Oh well, I've still got Astro City. And Astonishing X-Men. And Ultimates. Oh yeah, and Legion, so I guess I do read another DC title. Does anyone know if the Legion is going to get FUBARed again by this?

From Mark Waid about Infinite Crisis:

If true, this may...just may...get me to start reading DC again; however, remember the old phrase "once burned, twice shy"? Well, I'm up around burn 7 or 8 now, so I'm going to be giving things an extremely jaundiced and critical eye, and won't be especially 'forgiving' when evaluating their 'new direction.'

If true' date=' this may...just [i']may[/i]...get me to start reading DC again; however, remember the old phrase "once burned, twice shy"? Well, I'm up around burn 7 or 8 now, so I'm going to be giving things an extremely jaundiced and critical eye, and won't be especially 'forgiving' when evaluating their 'new direction.'

And Waid's 'Unthinkable' storyline in Fantastic Four doesn't give me a whole lot of hope either. If anything it's making me more wary, though I shall give the man benefit of a doubt.

I much preferred FANTASTIC FOUR #30 and 31 of the Claremont run, when Victor one-upped Reed -- fighting under a handicap, no less! -- and then /didn't/ lose to his own ego.

Besides, Doom totally sacrificed his honor to expediency in "Unthinkable" -- and his honor has always been his most redeeming, as well as interesting, characteristic.

And last, but most definitely not least, the way in which Doom lost required him to job massively. We're talking about a guy one of whose crowning obsessions has been freeing his mother from Mephisto, who has had literally his entire life to reflect upon the consequences of dealing with demons, who has actually out-devious'ed Mephisto in his own realm... and suddenly Doom not only finally enters into a deal with some low-rent no-name demons himself, but he completely forgets to work in an escape clause? :nonp:

And last' date=' but most definitely not least, the way in which Doom lost required him to job massively. We're talking about a guy one of whose crowning obsessions has been freeing his mother from Mephisto, who has had literally his entire life to reflect upon the consequences of dealing with demons, who has actually [b']out-devious'ed Mephisto in his own realm[/b]... and suddenly Doom not only finally enters into a deal with some low-rent no-name demons himself, but he completely forgets to work in an escape clause? :nonp:

I wish I thought you were kidding...

And last' date=' but most definitely not least, the way in which Doom lost required him to job massively. We're talking about a guy one of whose crowning obsessions has been freeing his mother from Mephisto, who has had literally his entire life to reflect upon the consequences of dealing with demons, who has actually [b']out-devious'ed Mephisto in his own realm[/b]... and suddenly Doom not only finally enters into a deal with some low-rent no-name demons himself, but he completely forgets to work in an escape clause? :nonp:

It's been a long, long, long time since I read Fantastic Four, and I've got to admit -- that just doesn't sound like Victor.