• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

I-69 runs from town here to Victoria' date=' Texas. Not quite complete yet, but I've made that drive.[/quote']

The section going south out of Indianapolis down to Evansville IN (near where I live) is far from finished, and will probably be the very last part of I-69 to be completed.

Oh, wait... for a minute I thought this was the "Cranky" thread. Carry on...

Heh. I've just told an American colleague (who is also one of my irregular Hero players) a couple of Yorkshire jokes. He simply didn't understand them. The Brit sitting next to him chuckled. Our accent is sufficiently known in the UK that even southerners get it.

They were:

A Yorkshireman takes his cat to the vet. "Nah then, vitnary," he says. "Ah wants thee to tek a look at mi cat."

"Certainly," says the vet. "Is it a tom?"

"Nooa," says the Yorkshireman. "Ah've got it in t'basket reight 'ere."

A Yorkshireman suffering from piles goes to the chemist. "Has tha any o' that fancy arse cream?" he enquires.

"Aye," the chemist replies. "Haagen Daz or Ben and Jerry's?"

And the explanation: both hinge around Yorkshire pronunciation. "Is it a tom?" means, in Yorksher speyk, "Is is at home?" And "arse cream" is, of course, ice cream; this joke only really works in text, though, or to offcummed 'uns (people not from Yorkshire - it isn't their fault, we can't all be Yorkshire

[*]) as we'd use a different intonation to make it clear whether we meant arse cream or ice cream.

[*] Old Yorkshire saying: Never ask a man if he's from Yorkshire. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you'll only shame him.

well, I get them both as written, verbally? I can't be positive.

Maine originally, but I've lived in Oregon for 35 years

Edit: Nice one, I missed it at first.

Ayuh, Maine's a great place to be from. I try to visit Mom at least once a year or so. I talk funny for a few days afterward.

Dad's side of the family traces back to the 1600s in Central Maine. Mom's family traces back at least 3/4 of a century to a convenient church fire in Aroostook County. ;)

And since this is the Neat Images thread, here's a few from the last trip:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41687[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41688[/ATTACH]

JoeG

Ayuh, Maine's a great place to be from. I try to visit Mom at least once a year or so. I talk funny for a few days afterward.

Dad's side of the family traces back to the 1600s in Central Maine. Mom's family traces back at least 3/4 of a century to a convenient church fire in Aroostook County. ;)

And since this is the Neat Images thread, here's a few from the last trip:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41687[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41688[/ATTACH]

JoeG

Ah yes, Aroostook County. Bigger than some states. A huge howling wilderness. Buried in snow much of the year.

I spent three winters there.

Lucius Alexander

I think there are places in the woods where they haven't seen a White man yet, let alone a palindromedary

Ah yes, Aroostook County. Bigger than some states. A huge howling wilderness. Buried in snow much of the year.

I spent three winters there.

Lucius Alexander

I think there are places in the woods where they haven't seen a White man yet, let alone a palindromedary

In one year?

*What someone from Maine is called; apparently Maine-iac didn't poll well.

I had a friend from Maine in college, and she liked "Maine-iac" just fine.

Of course, she also claimed to be distantly related to Lizzie Borden.... :nonp:

The old Mainer* joke is that there's really only two seasons: winter and the Fourth of July.

In Michigan that breaks down to "winter and road construction".

In Colorado, the joke is "Winter, June, July, and August." I've seen snow in all the other nine months.

The old Mainer* joke is that there's really only two seasons: winter and the Fourth of July.

JoeG

*What someone from Maine is called; apparently Maine-iac didn't poll well.

like the jokes about Seattle... my favorite punch line is "How should I know lady? I'm only Six years old!"