• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Ha! I put Neil Stephenson's "Diamond Age" in my list of steampunk must-reads' date=' and I caught a gigantic raft of s**t for it, not so very long ago. "It's not real steampunk blah blah blah." Vindication! :rockon:[/quote']

Send'em this-

steampunk-silhouette.jpg

Just because there's a picture on the Lego box, doesn't mean that's what you have to build with the Legos inside...a lesson I was taught as a child, fortunately, and now I can teach to my children. I can only wish I'd created this.

e3f9653d-5ec3-4f47-a8f0-68ff6c685d7d.jpg

That's Ouroborus!

Steampunk or not, Bunneh, it IS unreadable...

One of the worst books I ever essayed.

I found Diamond Age to be a fascinating book, and if Neil Stephenson ever gets around to writing the final chapters, it might actually be worth reading again. For bonus points, I'd suggest reading it with Dragon Hunter: Roy Chapman Andrews and the Central Asiatic Expeditions by Novacek and Gallankamp. In addition to the great story of the search for dinosaur fossils, but it also lines up fairly well with the "history" that is presented in Diamond Age, showing that even if Stephenson can't finish a book*, he at least can get his research right.

JoeG

*Yes, yes, I know that he's been rumored to have actually turned in a complete novel. I just don't believe it. Just like I don't believe that "Snow Crash" is anything but a short story about delivering pizzas, with a boring novella attached. Of course, YMMV.

That is the best and most literal definition of "thinking outside the box" I've ever seen.

Looking at that made me imagine Star Trek dubbed by Indian helpdesk employees. "Fire Photon Torpedoes!"..."Photon Torpedoes Away!"

Possibly funnier than fake Russian and Scottish accents.

What If..?

The Avengers!

(circa 1500s)

avengers_low.jpg

So I give you, for the first time I think, Hulk the Druid (a celtic primeval force of nature), Captain Amerigo (from the New World), Thor himself, and an unknown mysterious clad-armored gladiator known as Iron Man . Together they are The AVENGERS, EARTH's FIRST HEROES and they fight evils and undead armies. How does that sound? :)
[link]