• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Is it known this tanker truck-car stuff doesn't involve fatalities?

EDIT: As someone who has been there, "Ramstein" as in the AFB where the accident happened has one "m", not withstanding the music group's name which has two.

What about the guy in the truck?

Tanker-trailer cabins are very strong. As long as he was properly fastened in he should have been OK -- at least until he had to report the accident to his employers.

The best part is that the tank didn't leak or worse. THAT would have been a serious problem for driver and bystanders alike.

Tanker-trailer cabins are very strong. As long as he was properly fastened in he should have been OK -- at least until he had to report the accident to his employers.

The best part is that the tank didn't leak or worse. THAT would have been a serious problem for driver and bystanders alike.

Indeed!

Actually, I'm pretty sure the driver's employers would not be massively angry. Even good truck drivers can have accidents -- it's the risk they take every time they climb into the cabin. It's mainly when the liability hurts the bottom line that they become concerned, but if something goes that much awry throwing the driver under the bus would do them little good.

It looked like the truck lost traction unexpectedly, resulting in a spectacular wipeout. There seemed to be very little the driver could have done, as the rig was entirely out of control. It only took about five seconds between the loss of traction and the collision on the side of the road. Even experienced drivers have trouble responding that quickly.

It looked like the truck lost traction unexpectedly, resulting in a spectacular wipeout. There seemed to be very little the driver could have done, as the rig was entirely out of control. It only took about five seconds between the loss of traction and the collision on the side of the road. Even experienced drivers have trouble responding that quickly.

Actually, what happened was the truck hydroplaned which happens when you go fast on wet pavement. I can't tell if the truck braked when he saw the cop car which would of been a real stupid mistake, but the way the trailer came around, possible.

And now that I reread the caption the part that mentions the people he pulled over seemed odd. There was someone off the road and someone facing the opposite way. I think car in the ditch was there because of hydroplaning, car facing the cop car had pulled over to make sure people were alright, then the cop showed up. Not sure if It's worth looking for a closer to origin, but we'll probably find more details elsewhere.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the driver's employers would not be massively angry. Even good truck drivers can have accidents -- it's the risk they take every time they climb into the cabin. It's mainly when the liability hurts the bottom line that they become concerned, but if something goes that much awry throwing the driver under the bus would do them little good.

Given how fast he seemed to have been going, he could have slowed down when it started raining.

That didn't take long:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/CityofRockwallTexas

And yes, no serious injuries.

One of our police officers (and bystanders) almost killed by a jack-knifing 18-wheeler. There is a lady sitting in the car and has already been involved in one accident then she gets hit by the 18-wheeler, which also completely destroys our patrol vehicle in the process. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured in this incident.....miracle.....The action comes near the end of the video so keep watching. Obviously, not all dangers to police officers comes from people with guns and knives

usually, I put XKCD under "funny pix" but today's was something more.

tattoo.png

Hovertext:

I calculate that the electrons in radiation therapy hit you at 99.8% of the speed of light, and the beam used in a 90-second gamma ray therapy session could, if fired with less precision, kill a horse (they did not let me test this).