When you think "Superhero"....

nexus

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: When you think "Superhero"....

In my opinion, definitely a mindset of a certain type required. The sort of person who fits the Good Samaritan routine. My idea of Hero just can't walk by someone else in trouble and shut him or her out completely. He has to act. They almost instinctively make the right ethical and moral choices, and when they do make the wrong ones, they make amends.

The super part does make me visualize powers or at least a costume and a lot of chutzpah.

When I think about superheroes the first characters which spring into my mind are Captain America and Superman. These are characters which have strong ideals and are willing to sacrifice for them. To me that is the essence of being a superhero: living up to your conviction and ideals of goodness at all times.

When I think about superheroes the first characters which spring into my mind are Captain America and Superman. These are characters which have strong ideals and are willing to sacrifice for them. To me that is the essence of being a superhero: living up to your conviction and ideals of goodness at all times.

What he said, almost to the letter :)

Gotta agree with Mitchell and Hermit.

When someone says "superhero", I see capes, tights, and generally a Golden Age or Silver Age attitude. (Silver age for me means players are allowed to have problems or "real life" issues, but they overcome them and do the right thing.)

Attitude comes first. If the character is not dedicated to an ideal, if he does not put the welfare of others ahead of his own, he's not a Superhero. Superman or Batman (when written correctly) would risk everything to protect the life of a single innocent person. They accept responsibility for their worlds.

The powers and.or costume may add the Super, but the Hero comes first. Except when you're writing the word.

;)

Superman is The Superhero, but I also class Buffy as a Superhero. They are willing to sarifice themselves for others, and they have powers and abilities beyond those of mortal men. Some versions of Heracles or Monkey are also Superheroes, especially modern versions, but just as often in the old myths they were portrayed as thugs with powers.

Exactly!

I see someone who isn't afraid to fail. A Superhero is willing to place the needs and good of society in front of their own personal gain. A Superhero isn't blind - they're willing to question the morality of a situation and do what is best, or try.

A Superhero never just stands by.

Not just character but strength of character. Not just having powers but being able to be in control 24/7... not just doing the right thing at the right time but doing the right thing everytime.

What is the difference between a superhero and a supervillian. It could just be one bad day....

You go out and rescue puppies, create a negative vortex to lesson the effects the last few hurricanes, etc... and then you have one bad day.. someone in the drive through behind you is playing the bass on their stereo so loud you can't even order your Mcfries and BAM! You are now a supervillian. :sneaky:

The funny thing about me is that when I think about it, I never think about Superman or Captain America.I think about the Golden age Atom or Wildcat or the 70s' Green Arrow. I think about the guys without the powers or superserum running through their veins. The little guys who stand up and do the right thing no matter the cost to themselves not because of some personal tragedy and not because they are gifted with powers. The guys whom when asked why they do it, simply shrug and reply, "Someone needed to." This is a superhero to me.

To be AOLish - yeah, what he said. -

Edit: And sigged too.

Attitude comes first. If the character is not dedicated to an ideal, if he does not put the welfare of others ahead of his own, he's not a Superhero. Superman or Batman (when written correctly) would risk everything to protect the life of a single innocent person. They accept responsibility for their worlds.

The powers and.or costume may add the Super, but the Hero comes first. Except when you're writing the word.

;)

Superman is The Superhero, but I also class Buffy as a Superhero. They are willing to sarifice themselves for others, and they have powers and abilities beyond those of mortal men. Some versions of Heracles or Monkey are also Superheroes, especially modern versions, but just as often in the old myths they were portrayed as thugs with powers.

The Monkees were superheroes?!?

What images and concepts do you get? Personality wise' date=' morals wise and basic nature? Is just having powers enough or is there a certain mindset required in your opinion?[/quote']

I think of Superman or Spider-Man.

I also think of a world in which accidents and crime run rampant. I mean, really, assuming I'd been granted Great Powers , I have yet to encounter a situation where they'd have been needed. Convenient? Yeah, sure. When moving, superhuman strenght would be handy. When doing chores, superspeed would be useful. But I've never in all my 46 years run into a situation that I might have taken care of with superheroics.

But give Clark Kent or Peter Parker (or Steve Rogers or Tony Stark or...) superpowers, and they can't go for a walk around the block, stop for a pizza, cash a check or try to go on a date without stumbling across a crime in progress or a disaster in the making that needs averting.

Clearly, superheroes exist where higher highs (superheroes) are matched by lower lows (rampant crime and safety stats that don't bear considering).

I do not think of people who "always do the right thing," I think of people who try to make the world a better place. A flawless hero of the Superman/Captain America model bugs the hell out of me. First I don't believe it's possible for them to be flawless. When Superman was fighting Doomsday and the kid yeled for him to come save his little sister under the truck we are supposed to applaud Superman for doing and believe that no innocents died in Doomsday's rampage because Supes took that break. Heroes have to have feet of clay in my view or they wind up being self-righteous prats. Superheroes in particular need such flaws (all hail Tony Stark) or they lose all empathy with normal folks and become nightmares.

A flawless hero of the Superman/Captain America model bugs the hell out of me. First I don't believe it's possible for them to be flawless.

I don't believe anyone said they were flawless. They have the courage to live up to their ideals when many others will bow to pressure. They have an understanding of what it means to be a hero and they will not sway from that; and they will not let the ends justify the means. That's the difference between Superman and Batman. Batman doesn't care about how many rules or laws he must break as long as he gets his desired outcome.

When Superman was fighting Doomsday and the kid yeled for him to come save his little sister under the truck we are supposed to applaud Superman for doing and believe that no innocents died in Doomsday's rampage because Supes took that break.

At super-speed that might not have taken more than 2 seconds. :)

Heroes have to have feet of clay in my view or they wind up being self-righteous prats. Superheroes in particular need such flaws (all hail Tony Stark) or they lose all empathy with normal folks and become nightmares.

And again, I think both Captain America and Superman have flaws. They're just not obsessive playboys who use their money to build Batmobiles and powered-armor suits when they could be spending that money on charities which help people for a much longer-term then just being saved once. :)

• 9 months later...

;)

I would add to this that it can also be someone in transition to these ideals. I see many acceptable superheroes as starting as self-serving or otherwise anti-societal but so long as their storyline is to bring them into understanding and accepting of some sort of societal responsibilties then I find this definition inclusive. To me, "a superhero" is more often someone who overcomes themselves to serve that higher ideal. Although that's not an exclusive definition, it can be someone who naturally serves such ideals with no barrier whatsoever.

Although I also sometimes see "superhero" as meaning any human-at-essence with powers, since so often that is also the way it is actually delivered in fiction, and so depending on context that can just as easily come to mind.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (1729-1797) I see heroes as those who don't sit idly by. The difference between super-heroes and heroes is only a matter of scope.

I place no other constraints on someone to be considered a superhero. They do not have to be morally perfect. I like characters with flaws. They do not need to be competent. Every hero has to start somewhere and learn their trade. They do not even have to be right. What one person sees as evil, another may see as perfectly acceptable. A hero, IMO, needs to perceive some evil, and act against it.

Well since the term "super hero" was named after Superman (not the other way around) it stands to reason that he be the ultimate archetype of the super hero.

In my own experience, I find I have MORE interest in the so-called flawless types like Superman or Captain America than I do with someone like Spider-Man. Because there is too much empathy, really. Job woes, sick realtives in the hospital again, problems with friends or with romantic relationships? I don't need to read comic books to find all that stuff. I get that crap by getting up in the morning. Why would I want to read about someone else's problems in great detail?

Now that doesn't mean the characters for whom that stuff is detailed aren't heroic. Actually, they very clearly are. I'd simply prefer to see less of the human problems and more of them while they are transcending the problems. When they're being the person I want to be, not while they're being the person I am.