DC's Best "Bricks"

keithcurtis

Let us ask you who your choice of top ten Bricks (as Champions players use the term) in the Marvel Universe would be. While Strength is a big factor (If not THE biggest)' date=' also take into account others such as invulnerablity, durability, tenacity, good background, and purity (That is, they should be predominantly a brick type).[/quote']

Using these criteria, what would your list for DC be?

I find it hard to include people like Superman and Martian Manhunter, since they are even more "impure" than Thor from the Marvel side. Captain Marvel is probably as impure as I'd like to go. (Alas, since I personally identify Superman as personifying Strength)

In no particular order:

Captain Marvel (and by extension, the Marvel Family)

Big Barda (or Knockout)

Wonder Woman

Mongul

Power Girl (non-Kryptonian version)

Solomon Grundy

Atom Smasher

Orion

Keith "Equal Opportunist" Curtis

Re: DC's Best "Bricks"

Can't help myself...

1. Superman. He's the original DC Brick. I remember a rationalization of all his secondary powers being based on strength. His sight is so strong that it can see through walls, his skin is so strong bullets bounce off, etc...

2. Captain Marvel. At times in his history, Cap was arguably stronger than Superman. As has been pointed out on these boards dozens of times.

3. Wonder Woman. I just wish they'd stop referring to her costume as "armor".

4. Supergirl Kara Zor-El. Not a hot lesbian.... err. I mean Superman's Cousin and in many cases, his literary Anima.

5. Bizzaro. Maybe it's just fallout from Derek Heimforth's Challenge of the Super Friends games, but somehow the imperfect, perfect clone of Superman holds a soft spot in my heart.

There is not a single DC Hero that I actully like that makes me think "Brick" these days. Not the way Marvel Heroes like the Hulk or Thing do atleast. They are all Hybrids with major Speedster, Energy Projector and/or Martial Artist overtones. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's just not what I think of when I think "brick". Kinda funny too, considering Clark and Billy were basically the models for the archtype...

I'd probably have to go with Wonder Woman, Power Girl, the former Captain Marvel and Superman as my top picks, in that order.

If we were to include the Wildstorm universe, Mr Majestic would rank right under Wonder Woman.

If we were to include the Wildstorm universe' date=' Mr Majestic would rank right under Wonder Woman.[/quote']

I'd've thought Majestic would be of Superman level, given that he's pretty much intended to be the Wildstorm equivalent?

Given that Majestic has moved planets(1), he's *above* Post-Crisis Superman level, approaching the Silver Age version in some respects.

(1) The gauntlets and stuff were to keep the planet from falling apart under the force, not to amplify motive power. (MR. MAJESTIC #1, first series)

1) Superman. Pure or not, he started out as a brick, and that's still his primary schtick.

2) Captain Marvel. Say a magic word and become the Earth's Mightiest Mortal. Still a classic.

3) Solomon Grundy. Don't know if he's even still in continuity, and his power levels have been all over the place, but he's been bricking it since the 40s.

4) Powergirl. The break with Superman allowed her in some ways to develop as her own character more than the Earth 1 Supergirl.

5) Wonder Woman. I'm always torn when it comes to this character. She has tons of potential, and it's almost never realized.

My list of "Bricks":

1. Superman (Duh!)

2. Captain Marvel

3. Amazo

3a. Orion

3b. Kalibak

4a. The General/Shaggy Man

4b. Darkseid

5. Validus

6. Solomon Grundy

7. Wonder Woman

7a. Martian Manhunter

7b. Supergirl/Kara Zor El

8. Power Girl

9. Ultra Boy w/Ultra Strength Engaged

10. Mongul

Hawksmoor

There is not a single DC Hero that I actully like that makes me think "Brick" these days. Not the way Marvel Heroes like the Hulk or Thing do atleast. They are all Hybrids with major Speedster' date=' Energy Projector and/or Martial Artist overtones. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's just not what I think of when I think "brick". Kinda funny too, considering Clark and Billy were basically the models for the archtype... [/quote']

Pretty much my thoughts.

But, let's see:

1. Captain Marvel

2. Superman (esp earlier, pre-million powers versions)

3. Power Girl

4. Wonder Woman

5. errrm....uh....Mammoth?

6. Aquaman

Solomon Grundy's strong, sure, but he never really interested me.

Sure, lots of strong folks in DC, but it's usually treated almost as a side effect in many cases - "gee, he's amazingly powerful....of course he's super strong and tough!" as opposed to being the main part of the schtick like it seems to be with more Marvel characters. Does the more restrictive Marvel way make for better characters? YMMV, but it does make better "bricks".

1. Superman

2. Captain Marvel

3. Wonder Woman

4. Orion

5. Kalibak

6. Solomon Grundy

7. Supergirl/Kara Zor El

8. Amazo

Though I must tentatively include some from the new/old story arch of the infinite Crisis—Superboy-Prime (you know all the powers of the old Superman—moving planets and stuff like that.)

Ah, Enforcer beat me. To get your hands on 'pure' bricks in the DCverse, it's best to look to the future. LoSH has had several, though I have no idea which ones are still in continuity. And, as previously noted, the villains have quite a few. These are my favorite DC bricks, though this list is subject to change.

1. Robot Man

2. Solomon Grundy

3. Blok

Oh, hell, this is harder than I thought. I'll get back to you...

:think:

Ah, Enforcer beat me. To get your hands on 'pure' bricks in the DCverse, it's best to look to the future. LoSH has had several, though I have no idea which ones are still in continuity. And, as previously noted, the villains have quite a few. These are my favorite DC bricks, though this list is subject to change.

1. Robot Man

2. Solomon Grundy

3. Blok

Oh, hell, this is harder than I thought. I'll get back to you...

:think:

There are precious few aren't there?

Isn't there a juggernaut knock off called Cinderblock or something?

Blockbuster, of course, who is a Hullk clone (Now a Smart Hulk Clone)

Loose Cannon was a Hulk clone.

Darkseid's son, what is his name? The dumb one, not Orion.

Is he in the books? I've seen him on the Titans cartoon, but couldn't recall a book appearance.

I had hopes for Blockbuster, but really neither does anything for me.

Lenny.

Lenny Darkseid.

Yeah, I don't know DC as well, but "pure" bricks do seem to be a bit rarer there. Not that there is anything wrong with that. So perhaps for DC that should be taken into account and not worried as much.

My own picks for "cooler" might include

1. Blue Devil (The fun original version)

2. Aquaman (I have always liked him, even in his cheesier days when they forgot about his Strength half the time)

3. Captain Marvel (Always thought he got the short end of the stick)

4. Superman (Who I used to dislike, but has actually grown on me)

5. Lobo (Because he loves his little Dolphin buddies)

6. Wonder Woman (First lady of Super heroes)

7. Power Girl (Fun to look at, and the poor gal gets her continutiy yanked around almost as badly as Hawkman)

8. Longshadow (Yeah, I know he's an updated Apache Chief made for a one shot on the JLU animated series, but I just thought he was 100% cool)

And then I sort of run out as my ignorance kicks in... I just am not sure.

My vote goes out to the entire Marvel pantheon.

Without them we wouldn't have Power Girl, Super Girl, Super Boy - you might throw in Mon El and a few others like Bizzaro (Black Adam) too.

The Superman of today is an homage to Cap!

I Love Superman, but if the success of the Marvel Family had not forced him to change he'd just be another ground hopping thug.

Plus I love the whole magic shtick of the Marvel family. That innovation is strictly a response to Superman’s scientific origin. I guess they have always made each other better.

Kalibak, who I think was voiced by Michael Dorn in JLU.

:)