Jokes

Dust Raven

Re: Jokes

I think many from "our" generation (those that scored decently(?) on the above list) also remember a time before:

Cable TV,

Cordless phones,

Internet or even BBS service

Video Tapes,

"button" telephones,

digital clocks in the home,

And the "Paper or plastic" choice in grocery stores.

Also, how many remember going to the local hardware store or drugstore with a bag/box full to test on one of these kinds of things:

Eico2.jpg

Well, apparently I'm old, but I'm not sure how old. I know about all 15 and have had actual expereince with many of them...

1.Candy cigarettes - they had these when I was a kid. The fake smoek was only ever good for one or two puffs.

2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes - we still have these things at some local retro diners. Not sure I eever saw one at a cofee shop though...

3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles - my mother talks about this fondly all the time, but we never had it when I was growing up. However, Oberwise does home delivery in glass bottles these days.

4. Party lines on the telephone - never used one, but know about it from freinds.

5.Newsreels before the movie - never actually saw one, though I saw movies where it was featured so I knew of it;s existance.

6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate]) - We had more than 3 channels, but I do remember the test pattern. It would come on after the bad horror movies I would stay up later to watch ;)

7.Peashooters - never actually shot peas with one. We used spit balls.

8. Howdy Doody - Not old enough to have seen it live, but I have seen some episodes here and there. Not sure if that counts for anything though...

9. 45 RPM records - my uncle had a huge collection

10.Hi-fi's - my first stero was inherited from my mother and was clearly labeled hi-fi.

11. Metal ice trays with lever - still have two of them. I can no longer remember what color they were, as it's faded to plain metal. I rememebr our aluminium ice cream scoop used to be pink...

12. Blue flashbulb - My mom had these for our polaroid.

13.Cork popguns - I had one as a kid, but it was shaped like a little wooden cane and not a real rifle. I can still remember the odd smell of the cork.

14. Studebakers - seen them at car shows, nevre owned or rode in one.

15. Wash tub wringers - had one for years in my grandmothers basement. She actually used it on certian things that she wanted to hang dry in the summer (curtains and linnens mostly if I recall)

Pretty sure that squeeks me into older than dirt, but I might just qualifty for don't tell...

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

I'm not older than dirt, but I remember when it was still under warranty! ;)

ETA: I got all 15 except Howdy-Doody. I heard about him but never saw pictures or film until the '70s when everyone was suffering from recession-induced nostalgia about the '50s.