Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Hm, is that shell-like armor on his body supposed to be some sort of exoskeleton? If so, this guy looks a lot like Morningstar from Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks (which I assume was also your rendering, Mr. Cook)?

Really nice figure, love the detail, but I must admit his face is a little distracting to me. Seems a bit too human to match the rest of him, particularly if that body armor is a natural shell.

Because you never can have enuff big buffed guys with demonic backstories...

Balrog72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

Having used a shield, my only beef is that in that stance, the shield wouldn't be like that. Based on how most heater or kite-shaped shields or strapped, the shield is either going to be held closer to the body or the upper point is rotated down because the arm is hanging down by the person's side. When you get into stance and bring the shield up, your fist points skywards, and the shield hangs more like you see it here. But in this stance, I can't picture where his arm goes and have it make sense to me.

Huh, I just assumed his arm was pointing downward, the hand toward the narrow end of the shield. He probably would turn it upside-down compared to its present orientation when using it to defend himself. I'm not sure it would look as cool that way as it does now, but this guy doesn't seem to be in to esthetics. ;)

Huh' date=' I just assumed his arm was pointing downward, the hand toward the narrow end of the shield. He probably would turn it upside-down compared to its present orientation when using it to defend himself. I'm not sure it would look as cool that way as it does now, but this guy doesn't seem to be in to esthetics. ;)[/quote']

If you flip the shield around, so the narrow point is up... it makes it much harder to block shots and defend yourself. Granted, if he is super-fast and super-strong it may not be that big of an issue, but when I fought (SCA), and someone used a shield pointed that way, I'd have destroyed him. Properly strapped and hung, a shield provides a lot of defense with little effort. The more you have to move it to defend yourself, the less useful (and more tiring) it is.

If you flip the shield around' date=' so the narrow point is up... it makes it much harder to block shots and defend yourself. Granted, if he is super-fast and super-strong it may not be that big of an issue, but when I fought (SCA), and someone used a shield pointed that way, I'd have destroyed him. Properly strapped and hung, a shield provides a lot of defense with little effort. The more you have to move it to defend yourself, the less useful (and more tiring) it is.[/quote']

You are over thinking.

I drew the arm behind the shield, and yes, I drew it in such a way that it doesn't make all that much sense. Any more sense than a guy who transforms into a demon.

You are over thinking.

I drew the arm behind the shield, and yes, I drew it in such a way that it doesn't make all that much sense. Any more sense than a guy who transforms into a demon.

Actually, I know how he's holding the shield now. Fist at the top, elbow at the bottom. Which is great for super-strong guys, not-so-great if you have a normal STR or expect to fight for longer than... oh... 15 minutes (if that).

Actually' date=' I know how he's holding the shield now. Fist at the top, elbow at the bottom. Which is great for super-strong guys, not-so-great if you have a normal STR or expect to fight for longer than... oh... 15 minutes (if that).[/quote']Maybe the shield is made of Demonic Material that only weighs 3oz.

Here are two player characters from games I actually I am in. Thermal is the president of Sanctuary, the only paranormal nation on the planet. He is also 1/3rd of the Vanguard, the premier superteam on the planet, along with Locke and my PC, Vector.

Skinwalker is relatively new, and is a member of the NYC Mavericks. If curious about either, write-ups of adventures, some characters are up at:

http://rdu.wikispaces.com/

TermalFII72.jpg

Skinwaker72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

So I'm curious' date=' where'd the inspiration for Fire Wing's costume come form?[/quote']

Don't remember. I've drawn Fire Wing (and in RDU, Thermal kills FW and takes his place, all similarities are purposeful) for 5th Ed Hero somewhere.

Certainly a bit of Fire Lord factors in there... but so does the original Zircher illo in 4th ed Enemies.

Don't remember. I've drawn Fire Wing (and in RDU, Thermal kills FW and takes his place, all similarities are purposeful) for 5th Ed Hero somewhere.

Certainly a bit of Fire Lord factors in there... but so does the original Zircher illo in 4th ed Enemies.

I really like his long vest. It's different and looks cool.

Oh. the long vestment is something I keyed on with my PC, Vector, who was becoming an "elder" statesman in the game after playing him for 12 years or so... and I wanted something elegant, but he was always such a physical concept as a telekinetic in my mind, that a cape just didn't ever work in any of the sketches I did... and this is very, very much influenced by the Mimbari robes of Babylon 5. see below.

VectorNew.jpg

and Locke followed, so we have a group cohesion with Locke, Thermal and Vector..

LockeLoRes.jpg

My first thought when I saw it was "Firewing has finally grown up."

The "Storn Vestment" could become the hottest superhero fashion accessory since "Kirby Buttons." ;)

(BTW Mr. Cook, the marvellous illo of Firewing in Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks certainly looks like your work. But I'm glad you acknowledged Patrick Zircher's design for the character from Classic Enemies - it's always been one of my favorites in that book.)

Oh. the long vestment is something I keyed on with my PC, Vector, who was becoming an "elder" statesman in the game after playing him for 12 years or so... and I wanted something elegant, but he was always such a physical concept as a telekinetic in my mind, that a cape just didn't ever work in any of the sketches I did... and this is very, very much influenced by the Mimbari robes of Babylon 5. see below.

VectorNew.jpg

and Locke followed, so we have a group cohesion with Locke, Thermal and Vector..

LockeLoRes.jpg

It's a really nice uniform option for teams that still want to maintain their unique costumes. I like it.

Here is another offering from Death Tribble. His USMCorpse. This one was a lot of fun to do. Something about doing research and the difference in Viet Nam era uniforms to the current ones was sorta surprising... like I just kinda forgot what it looked like.

USMCorpse72.jpg