Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Magic *can* be green...

... especially denoting nature magic, "good" magic.

But I use blue, purple and red for magic and superpowers. Red for agressive, "evil" magic...although sickly yellow green works for that great too! Purple is a great color to use magic or superpowers for as well because its not seen overly much. Yellow, red, blue are pretty common. Purple, not so much.

Often it depends on the overall color scheme as well.... I used "green" because it pops on THIS (see below) overall red scheme... not because I was making some kinda statement on what the spell is... I have no idea what the spell is, I just liked doodling that visual for the spell... sometimes I do stuff for no particular reason except I want to.

WeaverloRes.jpg

... sometimes I do stuff for no particular reason except I want to.

I used to argue with my High School English teacher about this. I would say "How do you know your interpretation of the book is correct? Maybe the author had nothing symbolic in mind other than to just entertain."

Of course her response would be, "Because I'm an adult, college educated and know more than you." :rolleyes:

This answer was the result of me pointing out that the author was dead and left behind no evidence as to the reasons for what he wrote. This teacher was also the one that would ask us to write an 'OPINION' essay and then tell us we were wrong. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic, I more often than not like your color choices for magic, and it never occurred to me that there might be some hidden meaning behind the color choices. I like the reasons you stated, and will now look a lot closer at those choices.

Magic *can* be green...

... especially denoting nature magic, "good" magic.

But I use blue, purple and red for magic and superpowers. Red for agressive, "evil" magic...although sickly yellow green works for that great too! Purple is a great color to use magic or superpowers for as well because its not seen overly much. Yellow, red, blue are pretty common. Purple, not so much.

Often it depends on the overall color scheme as well.... I used "green" because it pops on THIS (see below) overall red scheme... not because I was making some kinda statement on what the spell is... I have no idea what the spell is, I just liked doodling that visual for the spell... sometimes I do stuff for no particular reason except I want to.

Hey, I like 'em all. I just wanted to inject some some silliness. :D

I used to argue with my High School English teacher about this. I would say "How do you know your interpretation of the book is correct? Maybe the author had nothing symbolic in mind other than to just entertain."

Of course her response would be, "Because I'm an adult, college educated and know more than you." :rolleyes:

This answer was the result of me pointing out that the author was dead and left behind no evidence as to the reasons for what he wrote. This teacher was also the one that would ask us to write an 'OPINION' essay and then tell us we were wrong. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic, I more often than not like your color choices for magic, and it never occurred to me that there might be some hidden meaning behind the color choices. I like the reasons you stated, and will now look a lot closer at those choices.

I used to say the exact same things to my teachers. And I stuck to my guns. And that made me what I am today, a failed english student :D

I used to say the exact same things to my teachers. And I stuck to my guns. And that made me what I am today' date=' a failed english student :D[/quote']

Yup. Me too. That's why I found success in IT. Spell/grammar check is my friend. ;)

I used to say the exact same things to my teachers. And I stuck to my guns. And that made me what I am today' date=' a failed english student :D[/quote']

I'm a successful English student (BA in Creative Writing and all), but I hated those essays and discussions, too. Why can't a football goal be a football goal? (Yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Catcher in the Rye!)

I'm a successful English student (BA in Creative Writing and all)' date=' but I hated those essays and discussions, too. Why can't a football goal be a football goal? (Yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, [i']Catcher in the Rye[/i]!)

Professors can be so cruel.

Professors can be so cruel.

And that right there is the gist of the situation. "Professors" like to "profess" while "teachers" like to "teach". No offense to the teaching professors that we have here such as Cancer (I've learned a lot :yes:), but most professors that I've had have wanted to do little else other than tell you why they are so great and better than the students. But again, I digress... :sneaky:

Hey' date=' I like 'em all. I just wanted to inject some some silliness. :D[/quote']

Silliness gets two thumbs up from me.

I didn't mean to come off as all art theory-art professor type... but I do think about this stuff. I have a lot of time on my hands while I work, my mind can wander all over the place. And thinking of the "right" color for a superpower or magic jes seems to be one of those things that I do spend a lot of time pondering as I'm doodling the sketch out.

I'm a successful English student (BA in Creative Writing and all)' date=' but I hated those essays and discussions, too. Why can't a football goal be a football goal? (Yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, [i']Catcher in the Rye[/i]!)

Holden was so damn Emo it frickin' hurts.

Silliness gets two thumbs up from me.

I didn't mean to come off as all art theory-art professor type... but I do think about this stuff. I have a lot of time on my hands while I work, my mind can wander all over the place. And thinking of the "right" color for a superpower or magic jes seems to be one of those things that I do spend a lot of time pondering as I'm doodling the sketch out.

I figured there was a method to your madness. It just reminded me of those Arthurian references.

:cool:

That's why I stuck with science and engineering. Establishing what's right and wrong is a lot simpler when working with math.

As a colleague once commented, "Either the rocket goes up, or it explodes on the launch pad. Doesn't get much simpler than that." ;)

The sweet irony is now watching my math and science-gifted daughter struggle through the same English Comp crap I had to go through. Le plus ca change... :rolleyes: