Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Susano

Re: Make Your Own Motivational Poster

So what would you call someone who acknowledges the existence of gods but denies the existence of a supreme capital G God?

Survivalists!

I mean, if there are gods, who really wants to risk offend any of them by suggesting that only one of them might be supreme?

But atheism defines itself against something that does exist. it is like someone calling themselves 'anazi'; meaning not-an-Nazi. The implication being they have acknowledged Nazism exists...and they are against it.

Which is why I'm beginning to lean towards the older term "freethinker." It emphasizes what you're for more than what you're against.

JG

Which is why I'm beginning to lean towards the older term "freethinker." It emphasizes what you're for more than what you're against.

JG

Ah, a Heretic!

(Original meaning of Heretic: Thinks for himself.)

(Now someone will come and prove that it doesn't mean that and never did.)

What does Buddhism say about angels? other enlightened beings?

The Bodhisattvas* exist, their supernatural abilities are limited to being exemplary teachers and role models. The others, you are free to believe their literal existence, believe they are metaphors, or ignore them all together, your choice. The one thing you should not do (and note, this is "advised against," not "forbidden") is count on their intervention.

It's tempting to say Buddha helps those who help themselves, but really it's more like Buddha serves as an example of how you can help yourself.

*Best explanation I ever heard, on the threshold of Nirvana, the Bodhisattvas are the smiling individuals holding the door open, gesturing others in ahead of themselves.

The Bodhisattvas* exist, their supernatural abilities are limited to being exemplary teachers and role models. The others, you are free to believe their literal existence, believe they are metaphors, or ignore them all together, your choice. The one thing you should not do (and note, this is "advised against," not "forbidden") is count on their intervention.

It's tempting to say Buddha helps those who help themselves, but really it's more like Buddha serves as an example of how you can help yourself.

*Best explanation I ever heard, on the threshold of Nirvana, the Bodhisattvas are the smiling individuals holding the door open, gesturing others in ahead of themselves.

Cheers.

*to everyone* lets get motivated!

This should be up in every classroom.

I don't have that one up in my classroom. Yet.

I do have this one in my room:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43318[/ATTACH]

It comes in handy this time of year, when I'm finalizing grades.

My high school English teacher had this sign up in his room:

age_and_treachery_speckcase-p176091595886335700bhar2_400.jpg

I don't get the relevance of a chain-link fence in the sky with the caption... :confused:

I don't get the relevance of a chain-link fence in the sky with the caption... :confused:

This is not simply a, "No, you cannot come in," but an additional, "and we're putting up a fence to illustrate just how strongly we mean 'no', and to also deny you entry even if you continue to not get the message."