Why are bricks so popular?

Demonsong

I am running a new game of Super Mercenaries, in a Rifts style setting. It was/is a unique opportunity for me as a GM because the group as a whole had never played Hero before! So I explained the world and there place in it. And set them free to make character concepts. This is the important part. No one had ever seen a Hero character or had any idea of what they could or could not do. After repeated assurance from me that they could indeed play any thing they wanted to, I got some great ideas back form all of them and we went on to make so very original and fun characters.

Now to the point of the post. Every one came up with very different concepts but 5 out of the 8 players concepts turned out to fit loosely in the category of a brick. And depending on how lose you want to make the brick category you could even goes so far as to say 7 out of 8 are bricks. We made every ones character according to concept. And I ended up with a group with very high defenses.

This in it self is not a bad thing for me, I have never had any problems dealing with high defenses, there is more than one way to skin a cat. However is did start me wondering if this was normal in Champions style campaigns. So to all you GM’s out there; do you find most of your PC’s want to play characters with high defenses?

Heh. I was just talking to one of my group, another vet player, about this last night.

Our current group of players who are either fairly new to HEROs (been playing it for around half a year, but never saw the system before joinging the group), brand new to HEROs, or vets returning to HEROs and a bit rusty.

The party is pretty brickish / martial artist heavy. Lots of what I think of as "Light Bricks", meaning aside from 1 Hulkish character, the other characters are more like Spiderman, Sunspot, Rogue etc -- super strength in the mid ranges, and various other powers.

The defenses average around 15 however, if you exclude the 1 "true brick" from the equation, with a propensity towards relying on DCV to not get hit, and several characters have non-persistent defenses.

Ive never played in a campaign where ALL the characters have some brickish qualities, but its not that big of a deal. ALL of the characters have a specialty that they excel at, so they dont "feel" the same in play.

Re: Why are bricks so popular?

Originally posted by Demonsong

Because, with the possible exception of DEX, STR is the best buy in the game. For every 10 points you spend on STR, you get about 25 points worth of bang for your buck:
  • 2d6 HA (7 points)
  • 2" Leaping (2 points)
  • 2 PD (2 points)
  • 2 REC (4 points)
  • 5 STUN (5 points)
  • Misc. stuff -- +10 STR vs. Grabs/Entangles, resisting Knockback, x4 lifting capacity, extra throwing distance & damage, etc. (worth at least 5 points)

Tough to beat all that... :)

Re: Re: Why are bricks so popular?

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

Because, with the possible exception of DEX, STR is the best buy in the game. For every 10 points you spend on STR, you get about 25 points worth of bang for your buck:

• 2d6 HA (7 points)
  • 2" Leaping (2 points)
  • 2 PD (2 points)
  • 2 REC (4 points)
  • 5 STUN (5 points)
  • Misc. stuff -- +10 STR vs. Grabs/Entangles, resisting Knockback, x4 lifting capacity, extra throwing distance & damage, etc. (worth at least 5 points)

Tough to beat all that... :)

Yeah, its hard to pass up the sheer efficiency of STR

I think most people equate comics superheros with Superman, and this, superhuman strength.

I don't think the average new guy does the math and says "Oohhh... STR is a great buy!" I think he (or she) says "I want to be able to do all the stuff superheroes do, y'know, toss cars, bend steel in my bare hands, shrug off bullets."

Originally posted by Susano

I think most people equate comics superheros with Superman, and this, superhuman strength.

I don't think the average new guy does the math and says "Oohhh... STR is a great buy!" I think he (or she) says "I want to be able to do all the stuff superheroes do, y'know, toss cars, bend steel in my bare hands, shrug off bullets."

Right, but they do make a guy thats fairly strong ("I think it would be cool to be strong enough to, say, lift a small car.") and tough ("I want to be bullet proof vs small arms fire, so 12 PD/12 ED resistant), and otherwise model the character with abilities that are fairly low key for the HERO System, but quite impressive objectively.

Then they ask the vet player if thier character "measures up", and you look at it and see 200 odd points in stats, enough rDef to invalidate goons with normal guns, some martial arts (cause everybody wants to "know kung fu") and have to say "yeah, this is well rounded and durable character who can definitely make his presense known".

So in effect, since what they want is to be effective in the game, and since the light brick / martial artist types are effective and are straightforward, they dont often get turned down as unviable characters.

So indirectly the efficiency of STR enters into the picture. :D

I actually have few Bricks personally in my personal character stock. I tend to build my heroes conceptually and try to keep my powers within that concept at all costs. If I can't justify a strength increase per my concept I don't do it. Out of 48~60 Player characters I have something like 7 Bricks. My NPC's are a different matter with a higher disposition to be vaguely brick-like.

Bricks do tend to be the popular archetype with my players, out of a group of 6 I have one non brick character.

I really think primarily it comes identifying strongly with the brick characters of the comic genre. To some Superman is the icon of the comic world. Current cartoon shows also focus mainly on the brick as a character. JLAdventures features two non bricks, one of whom only shows up to manipulate events and/or be scarily adept. The other is portrayed as something of a buffoon and not handle very well at all in my opinion.

Barring that you could always claim it's that DnD mentality creeping in as well.

Enhanced Strength is a concept people can easily relate to, and therefore fantasize about. It's more difficult to imagine being able to teleport or hurl lightning bolts, but super strength is merely an extension of what people can already do: leap a river instead of a puddle, throw a truck instead of a football, lift a building rather than a grocery box. The image is easy to visualize, so the thrill is easier to capture.

I think it has to do with the LARGE volume of stuff you have to deal with when making your first champs character. You either end up with a hodge-podge of different skills and abilities that dont really mesh into a clear concept or a brick (at least in my experiance). I think this is because bricks are by nature prety straight forward. I think for total newbies it is REALLY a good idea for a begining character. Not alot of VPP's or Multiple slots to deal with.

Lok

In the game setting you mention, Super Mercenaries in a Post-Apocalyptic Riftsesque setting, combat effectiveness is implied as being important. Knowing little else about the specifics of the campaign, my initial thoughts run towards a character who is durable and able to dish out damage. The simplist way to design such a character is to give 'em high defenses, and enough physical power to hurt lots of unhurtable things, like tanks.

Even characters with non-brickish concepts, like sorcerers, or kung-fu kommandoes benefit greatly from adding a few brick qualities, and since we're talking about a combat setting, bricking up a bit doesn't stretch the character concept. i.e. It is entirely plausible that a sneaky ninja-type would layer on some extra armor defenses, so long as the defenses didn't weigh-em down too much. Boosting the strength a bit gives the character some offensive "oomph" above and beyond their techno-katana and ninjustsu.

On the other hand, if you were running a "Secret Psi-war" campaign set in New York 2003, you might see your bricks tossing a few more points towards EGO and Mental Defense

I think Loki's right. Play a teleporter or a flyer or an energy-projector and a mentalist or a gadgeteer or a mage or a thief and your gaming experience becomes much more complicated than if you just play a straight brick. Your entire job description (in combat, anyway) is to get close to the opponent and slug it out until one of you falls down. That's simple enough for new players to handle, and they enjoy the security of knowing that even if they lose a fight, their charcater is highly unlikely to get splattered by an attack they weren't ready for. No one likes to see a character die, but new players are especially vulnerable to that fear. Bricks are the safest characters to play, in that regard.

If you play, say, an energy projector, you usually find yourself with so many options that it can be overwhelming. "Hmmm... Should I use my normal EB, or my Indirect? Maybe my Flash attack, or Entangle? How high should I be flying so I'm out of range of anything he can throw back at me? How much of my multipower pool should I be putting into my force field and how much into my attack? How much END have I spent so far, and how much END will I spend this phase?" The first Champs campaign I played in, I was taking over a character that a departing player had been playing. He was a shadow mage in a Champs campaign, with a Multipower. Having never played Champs before and not owning my own copy of the sourcebook, I spent a lot of combat staring at my character sheet wondering "What should I do?" I'd ask the rest of the group for advice, they'd tell me how many dice to roll and help me keep track of my END and STUN... but I felt bad slowing the game down. If you play a brick, it's much easier. Write down how many dice of damage you roll when you use all your Strength, and you're pretty much good to go. :)

Well, I can tell you why I enjoy Bricks.

Yes, it's a classic archetype, and who hasn't dreamt of being darn nigh invulnerable and super strong?

It is relatively simple. Sometimes I just want to hit things, thanks :)

I don't like going unconscious and missing the play. Bricks, with their comparitively large amounts of stun, are more likely to be standing at the end of it all. Petty, but a point.

Also, brick powers are the easiest to model in Hero. The first time I tried creating a Champs character in 4th ed, I considered a vocal mimic, and after many conflicting suggestions from the expert players and trying to figure out whether hollering some kind of high-frequency sound through a bullhorn would be an EB or what, I came *this close* to giving the damned game up.

But made Irving instead.

[FWIW, a mimic is considerably easier to model in FRed now that Shape Shift can be bought as affecting specific sense groups...]

The original poster seemed to be talking about the high defenses aspect of Bricks rather than the high strength. Although a Champions Brick has both high strength and high defenses it sounds like its primary meaning is hardness/toughness/invulnerability.

At the moment I'm using the term 'strongman' for the strength archetype. After all there are some strong characters - Thor and Wonder Woman - that aren't invulnerable.

Going back over the whole history of super powers, all the way back to Gilgamesh, I'd say superhuman strength is by *far* the most popular power.

So to all you GM’s out there; do you find most of your PC’s want to play characters with high defenses?

Not really. In my last superhero campaign the over-riding feature for a PC was that he had to have a punning name. I didn't ask them to, the players just seemed to think that's what you had to do for a superhero game.

The first time you're making a character you're probably thinking... okay, goal 1) Don't die, goal 2) Kick some butt.

High PD/ED are much easier for someone that isn't familiar with the rules to see how they benefit the character than raising DCV is, particularly when the player is at the same time looking at how many damage classes their "kick some butt" attack is doing for the points

Then you get to movement and it's like... oh, 6 hexes, that sounds like a lot. Non-combat I could run across the board and back in a turn, thats plenty! Then for speed, 10 points for +1or +2d6 if you go with strength... hey strength raises PD too, CHA-CHING!

While I doubt most players look at the point value of strength (especially NEW players to the game)... being "better than human" on a physical level is very superheroic.

That, and nobody wants to be taken out of a fight because a cop or a thug manages to grab you.

It's also been my experience that most people, trying to play tough guys, prefer to shrug off hits and look impressive rather than dance around and dodge like a girly-man.

Also I insist on new players playing either Bricks or basic Blasters (One energy blast). I have also allowed on rare occasion a few weapons masters for begeners, but I make sure the character is easy to use (a Bowman with 5 basic and very different arrows)

Also I insist on new players playing either Bricks or basic Blasters (One energy blast). I have also allowed on rare occasion a few weapons masters for begeners, but I make sure the character is easy to use (a Bowman with 5 basic and very different arrows)

For me, bricks have always been my favourite because as a child I was amazed by people like Arnold and playing a brick allowed me to go beyond the limits of my physical self. Plus, I work out fanatically every day and to play a brick is something that i can relate to.

I have just the opposite problem. In our gaming group, Bricks are the least favorite archetype! And when we do see bricks, there is nothing "normal" about them. The brick my wife made, Dynamo, is an absorber. DocMan has two bricks: one is a shape-shifter patterned after Odo from DS9 with growth, shrinking and density increase in a Multi-Slot Multipower. He uses a spreadsheet to calculate the point allocations and mixtures of the various combinations. Then there is Star Sentinal, a brick much like Venom (an alien symbiot on a normal man) but with a few extra tricks like a flash-attack and strecthing with a battle staff. DocMan's wife played Anaba - who started out as a brick for simplicity of learning the system. But when we did a redesign, Anaba became something that almost defies an archetype.

The only time I've ever seen anyone in our group play and keep a "pure" brick was a friend who played Crusher - a former college football player who got mutated after taking steriods. He has all the standard brickish traits with two notable exceptions: SPD 5 and DEX 26.

I like bricks, though, which is why my bad-guy bricks tend to be nasty muthers. I wonder if I'm not trying to tell my players "Don't you wish you could be this tough? Pity you aren't a pure brick though..."