Why must wolves be evil?

FenrisUlf

Was just scoping out the competition, and I saw these two sweet minis:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20070125a

I have only a few things to say --

1) That werewolf lord is so what my Champions PC looks like.

2) The more important question, why are wolves always utterly evil in fantasy? The only good one I can remember is Aragh from Dickson's Dragon Knight series. Okay, and one good female werewolf from a Forgotten Realms novel.

3) What's up with 'dire' animals always being studded with horns and spikes? Are they all into piercings or what?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Why must wolves be evil?

2) The more important question' date=' [b']why are wolves always utterly evil in fantasy?[/b] The only good one I can remember is Aragh from Dickson's Dragon Knight series. Okay, and one good female werewolf from a Forgotten Realms novel.

Because most fantasy is based on European myth, and in Europe, wolves were generally seen as dangerous predators.

2. Bob nailed it on the head...same reason black cats are "evil"

3. Because D$D needed a way to make artistic representations for their creature upgrade package called "Dire". Since the definition of the word is rather negative it makes sense to make the imagery also a bit nasty/negative.

True, we canines get a bad rap. But it's also true that it goes way back in mythology; wolves represent the untamed wilderness, the Big Bad Wolf ate Lil'Red, and so on. There are a couple of other old classics where the wolf is the villain, but the meds are making clear thought impossible.

I think it depends on the wolf's companion a lot. If the wolf is with a druid, or druid type, character they tend to be more good or neutral. If the wolf is with a 'good' character they tend to also be good and usually serve as the protector. If the wolf is alone or with an 'evil' character then they tend to be evil as well. It seems like the more solitary the wolf the more evil the wolf.

There are many exceptions to the above of course, but I think that is a good thumbnail at least.

I was raised on Elfquest and have trouble seeing wolves as bad guys as a result. To human settlements with meagre resources in a pre-industrial society however... there is a certain amount of competition, and that colours the perception.

I find it odd no one has mention Wheel of Time yet, where wolves get a fairly positive rap (better than most of the humans for that matter)

Also Tara Harper has a series of Fantasy/sci-fi series about wolves w/a telepathic relationship to humans worth a read

In my own campeign there is a race of wolf /human hybrids that while not good are far from evil...

Let's see... there's the wolves in Julie of the Wolves, the children's story. While not a fantasy per se, they got a pretty good rap.

I'd suppose that Romulus and Remus's surrogate mom kind of balances Fenris mythologically speaking.

Fairy tales seem to be the biggest place wolves get a bad rap: the Big Bad Wolf, the wolf that ate Little Red Riding Hood and her Granny, are a couple that come to mine. Then again, folk tales, one step or so removed from fairy tales has stories of people being raised by wolves, showing their familial side is recognized, as with the Romulus and Remus story.

Then there's the wolf from the old WB cartoons (at least I think it's WB), who's a leering lady's man. Guess he's just an average guy, if a little seedy.

Lord of the Rings gives dire wolves a bad name, but then again, they're dire, so that's probably to be expected.

The Jungle Book has some pretty nice, family-minded wolves in it, though. But Maugrim from Narnia is definately a heel.

I think most of the modern stuff has already been covered (WoT, Belgariad, Poul Anderson, Dickson, etc.)

I think that while some wolves are definately shown as evil, there are many instances of their loving, family side shown too. It's kind of a toss up to me. It seems that on the one hand, you have the formidable predator that kills and eats your livestock (and by extension, possibly YOU) and on the other hand, you have an animal not unlike the ancestor to your loving family dog, with its strong family instincts and nurturing instincts. In fact, one quality that's huge in livestock guard dogs, the anti-wolf if you will, is that strong nurturing instinct combined with the capability for ferocity. The Turkish breeds of herd guard dogs, some of which are capable of taking down a wolf one on one, actually don't look that far removed from wolves themselves.

I think the best wolves in literature recognize both the family side and the predatory side at once.

2) The more important question, why are wolves always utterly evil in fantasy? The only good one I can remember is Aragh from Dickson's Dragon Knight series. Okay, and one good female werewolf from a Forgotten Realms novel.

Because the wolf is the second predator of the nutritional pyramid: intelligent, organized… for that reason the first predator (the man) must eliminate his immediate competitor.

The best form to eliminate an enemy is to give him a bad name to generate hate and injustificated deaths.

I am not going to put examples of this tactics in international politics

:P

A wolf in a children's trilogy I read recently was good and ended up helping the heroine quite a bit. I don't think they're always depicted as evil... You see what you're looking for.

He pretty much said it. While there may be more "evil" wolves around, there are also plenty of counterexamples. There are some good guy wolves (or wolflike creatures anyway) in the Herald Vanyel stories for example.

Lucius Alexander

Megascaling a palindromedary