Hero System and Rpg.net

nexus

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero System and Rpg.net

I may have even misquoted it -- I think (upon thinking about it) it's It's so stimulating being your hat. Apologies to those who will correct it later' date=' I've adjusted it.[/quote']

Hat: Please leave a contribution in the little box

Hoggle: Don't you dare! Them's mine!

Sarah: Well... I guess I can spare this.

Hat: Gracias senorita.

Hoggle: You didn't have to give him that. He didn't tell you nothing.

[sarah and Hoggle walk off screen]

Hat: Well, well then. There go a couple of suckers.

Wiseman:

Hat: Ah! It's so stimulating being your hat.

My inner geek permits me to admit Labyrinth is one of the few films I have memorized.

Hat: Please leave a contribution in the little box

Hoggle: Don't you dare! Them's mine!

Sarah: Well... I guess I can spare this.

Hat: Gracias senorita.

Hoggle: You didn't have to give him that. He didn't tell you nothing.

[sarah and Hoggle walk off screen]

Hat: Well, well then. There go a couple of suckers.

Wiseman:

Hat: Ah! It's so stimulating being your hat.

My inner geek permits me to admit Labyrinth is one of the few films I have memorized.

Oddly enough that scene made a lot more sense in the book than in the movie. In the book the advice turned out to actually BE very helpful when the girl thought about it; in the movie he just seemed like a strange random encounter.

Kind of like the guy with the pointless anti-Hero rant that was off-topic.

Or the guy who accused me of "TMI" when I had made a post that really had very little information to it, despite whatever it was he decided to infer from it.

Or the other guy who concieved the bizzarre idea that I am from Mexico, just because HE happenned to be talking about Mexicans when I entered the conversation - I suppose if he'd been talking about Martians he'd have thought I was a Martian.

I just tell myself that their reactions say more about themselves than anything else, and that it doesn't really have anything to do with me. Or in this case, with Hero.

Lucius Alexander

Feed them to the palindromedary!

I guess I'd think a lot worse of the board if that one remark derailed into into a HERO-hate pile-on. All I saw was one guy with an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. ;)

The fact that it didn't is one of the signs its gotten better. Though I seen to have annoyed more people and drawn more scorn by venting with this thread than what I was venting about so for that I apologize,

Four years of Hero hate pile-ons plus the actively horrible moderation policies have turned me off of RPG.net. (Essentially' date=' the mods defend the haters and hate the defenders.)[/quote']

That has changed in the last year or so. One of the mods even comes out in support of HERO occasionally, and plays it himself (and for the life of me I can't remember which one).

The Mods have been much more restrictive - stuff that would pass unnoticed 5 years ago gets people banned now.

But I can understand you attitude. It was very bad for quite a while.

I enjoy the place for theory threads, and for exposure to new games and system, none of which I will ever play, but I like to know about them. :)

The fact that it didn't is one of the signs its gotten better. Though I seen to have annoyed more people and drawn more scorn by venting with this thread than what I was venting about so for that I apologize' date='[/quote']

Nah, I wouldn't say that. Most of the 'annoyance' seems to come from an agreement that a level of defense is required at all (DEF 10, only vs. RPG.net haters, -1). What I was saying before & what Alice is saying are essentially the same thing. Trade in your DEF for Desolid and let it roll on by.

I think it makes total sense that you went to school, met a bully, got ticked off, came home and said "You guys would not BELIEVE the day I had!" And we're all nodding and going "A-yup." Before I joined this board I was only on... ENWorld, I believe. And that's one of the reasons I became a HEROphile -- because I couldn't adjust d20 because I didn't have the code. Now I have the code, and I'm a very happy HERO.

Ain't your fault people be igno... ignoram... dagnabbit. :P

;)

I agree wholeheartedly. And I offer this fact as evidence:

For several years, I've run Champions games based on the 1970's cartoon Challenge of the Super Friends (Justice League vs. Legion of Doom). All end in a grand melee of 11 superheroes vs. 14 supervillains (though granted, a few of those aren't any great shakes in a fight). Even a combat that huge is almost always done in under two hours.

Why?

Because one of the ground rules of the game (to help enforce the corny dialogue-heavy feel of the cartoon) is each character must immediately lead off with a soliloquy when their Phase comes up. If they don't (i.e., if they aren't ready), then they lose that Phase. (You get no screen time if you have nothing to say! ;) )

That house rule wasn't introduced with the direct intent of speeding up combat. But it did speed it up tremendously, and I'm positive that's why. Because it makes the players think about what their character will do before it's their turn. :)

That is a really cool idea. I may have to borrow it :D

Nah' date=' I wouldn't say that. Most of the 'annoyance' seems to come from an agreement that a level of defense is required at all (DEF 10, only vs. RPG.net haters, -1). What I was saying before & what Alice is saying are essentially the same thing. Trade in your DEF for Desolid and let it roll on by.[/quote']

Or better yet, Missile Reflection (I'm rubber, you're glue...)? :D

I've found the Gaming Index and Reviews section of RPG.Net to be both really cool and really useful. More of us should go over there' date=' rate the Hero Books in the Gaming Index and write Reviews of the books.[/quote']

Seconded. I put my whole HERO library into the index and I know a couple other people seem to have been pretty diligent about submitting the latest releases.

Seconded. I put my whole HERO library into the index and I know a couple other people seem to have been pretty diligent about submitting the latest releases.

I've made sure pretty much all of 5th is in there, just a few books aren't that I don't (as of yet) own. But that'll change in a week or two.

And I've got a friend whose has just a ton of 4th Ed. stuff that'll bug him to borrow and see what hasn't made it in yet.

And everyone should go RATE the books on RPG.Net.

Currently Pulp Hero is the 9th Best game-book as rated by the fans. Which is pretty good considering the number of rating votes some books get.

I'm not at all familiar with the rpg.net forums.

But for what it's worth, looking at it today, there's a pretty positive thread talking about Foxbat: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=311653

Although there was some dislike(I wouldn't quite call it strong enough to be hate) for 5th edition, there's at least a decent number of people there with positive memories of Champions and the Hero system.