Countries that don't exist (but should)

Drhoz

I enjoy entertaining con stories - there's a reason Hustle is one of my favourite TV shows. Likewise Spider Robinson's novels Callahan's Lady and Callahan's Con. Whether abjectly incompetent (the attempts to raise money to bring the world's "first African astronaut" back down from orbit springs to mind), or audaciously successful ( Victor Lustig, the man who sold the Eiffel Tower - Twice (altho it appears the second time round wasn't completed. Lustig also got $5000 dollars out of Al Capone - by being honest)), I can applaud a novel fraud done well.

But I stand in awe - I offer a standing ovation - to Mark Pedley aka Mark Wellington aka Tzemach Ben David Netzer Korem aka Branch Vinedresser and his dad, and their Dominion of Melchizedek (and much kudos to the June '97 Fortean Times for bringing them to my attention)

Not content with merely writing a new book of the bible (hmm, sounds familiar) the Pedleys have also annexed various Pacific Islands, Ruthenia, Jerusalem, 10% of the world's oceans and a sixth of Antarctica into their sovereign micronation. Major exports include diplomatic immunity for anybody who ponies up the cash, and copies of the Melchizedek Bible. Major imports include all the money garnered thru various Ponzi schemes and the Wheatland gold scam involving a Las Vegas warehouse full of nonexistent ore.

Admittedly Melchizedek is not the world's only micronation (Western Australia itself enjoys the Hutt River Province, and the Empire of Randania occupies 600 sq feet of Ohio), nor is it the only one involved in scams ( Someone claiming to be a Prince of Sealand was arrested a few years back, and Corterra is a frequent offender) but it's not everyone who combines religious, diplomatic, financial and international fraud into one gloriously mad scheme.

So, are there any fictional or fraudulent nations that deserve recognition in your campaign setting?

Re: Countries that don't exist (but should)

Probably the most withering look I have ever received was when I said' date=' straight-faced, to a Canadian friend that I loved Canada and thought it'd be great when it was finished...[/quote']

*rofl-bone explodes*

I've used Canada a couple times.

What?

Probably the most withering look I have ever received was when I said' date=' straight-faced, to a Canadian friend that I loved Canada and thought it'd be great when it was finished...[/quote']

Open wide. I wanna practice my slapshot. :eg:

I don't know if anybody here reads any of the Dortmunder books (by Donald Westlake), but in one of them, a NYC con artist who specialized in mail-order fraud created a fictional Pacific Ocean country called Maylohda (say it aloud, and imagine you have a New York accent). Then she applied for international aid, registered ships under Maylohda's "flag" for a fee, and other similar money-making activities.

Overall, if you like reading books with con-artists as the protagonists, I recommend the Dortmunder books.

A friend and I once discussed what it would take to convince the world that Antarctica doesn't exist. Kind of the opposite of what you were looking for' date=' but...[/quote']

Make it the kingdom of nerds and geeks? :P

Republic of the Southern Cross.

I forget the book, but it was a science fiction story in which Antarctica is successfully colonized and eventually declares independence.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that sounds more like fantasy.....