Superhero Legal Disclaimers

Karmakaze

Re: Superhero Legal Disclaimers

Trying other versions:

"I am required by law to inform you that I possess metahuman abilities and intend to use them to resolve this situation. If you desist, you will be turned over to the authorities with no further harm."

Possibly for the burning building scenario:

"I am required by law to inform you that I possess metahuman abilities and intend to use them to resolve this situation. If you do not wish to receive my assistance, please say so now."

In the course of worldbuilding, I was thinking that metahumans could choose:

1. Join the police/fire department or a federal metahuman program.
  2. Remain a civilian, but join something like the National Guard (so they could be called on in emergencies)
  3. Remain a civilian, but register in return for limited legal immunity for public displays of power
  4. Stay closeted, but risk full legal consequences if they cause harm with their powers.

In cases 2 or 3, they'd receive evaluation and some training, and would be taught the required announcement phrases and enforcement policies. If they want to use their abilities in non-emergent situations (like a super-speed delivery service, or a mentalist therapy center), liability could be handled via paperwork.

In the real world, as far as I can tell, the police would really rather that civilians not try to stop crimes or perform citizen's arrests, but rather call the police and just provide witness testimony. In a supers world, though, I figure there are likely to be more situations where it would be appropriate for a metahuman who's still technically a civilian to step in.

I figure registration would only be mandatory in the sense that crimes committed using superpowers would get bumped up in severity (the same way "armed robbery" is a bigger deal than "robbery") and you have less protection from lawsuits from bystanders. If you are registered, but fail to issue the warning, then you can be sued for damages that you might otherwise have been protected for.

Does this all make sense?

Something like "I am required by law to inform you that I am a metahuman. If you wish to surrender, you will be remanded into police custody..."

It needs to be short enough that someone could conceivably monologue it early in a fight.

Or you can save time by dressing in primary colours with a cape. If that doesn't say "I'm a metahuman" I don't know what will. In fact, that makes a pretty good justification for heroes to get into costume before swinging into action even when they have no secret identity. If the law requires them to identify themselves to perpetrators, police and bystanders, then wearing a distinctive suit of clothing that nobody sane would wear if they didn't have powers, that might be just the ticket.

In which case the verbal disclaimer would only be necessary for people who happen to be in civvies. In which case the boilerplate might be something like "This is a citizen's arrest. I have metahuman powers and I will use them in my defense if you resist."

"I'm a metahuman crime and terrorism prevention officer. Surrender and follow me peacefully. I am empowered to use lethal force and all relevant paranormal abilities to protect the innocent and public safety. You have been warned."

This sounds like the best option that I saw, :thumbup: but it does need to be modified: :eek:

"I'm a metahuman crime and terrorism prevention officer. I am empowered to use all relevant abilities to protect the innocent and public safety."

Karmakaze's system works great with this line, regardless if they are trying to stop some crime or rescuing someone from that "burning building". Options no. 1 & 2 will need to say this every time that they are exerting their powers and authority. No. 3 needs to say it only if they are making a citizen's arrest. No. 4 will get no protection under the law and will never have to say it.

"I'm a metahuman crime and terrorism prevention officer. I am empowered to use all relevant abilities to protect the innocent and public safety."

Yes, even if I was giving some thought that probably the first part of the warning might benefit from some shortening, likely an Acronym in true paramilitary fashion. I mean, any government agency that employs super-agents is going to deal with law enforcement, defense, and disaster relief concerns all at once, a crossbreed between Army's Special Forces, FBI/CIA, and Homeland Security, so maybe something like MEtahuman DIsaster Crime TErrorism Prevention Agency MEDICTEPA officer. I dunno, trying to come up with an acronym that would sound true to function and would be somewhat spellable. I'm not a native English-speaker, so by all means improve it if you fancy it.

"I'm a MEDICTEPA officer. I'm empowered am empowered to use all relevant abilities to protect the innocent and public safety."

I think that any government that employs superhumans is going to have them deal with a wide set of concerns beyond crime and law enforcement, ranging to disaster relief and prevention, counter-terrorism, war situations, probably switching their liasons with different government agencies as different kinds of crises arose. They should be a mix of FBI/BATF/DEA (high-scale crime, both normal and super), FEMA (disaster relief), Homeland Security (terrorism, both normal and super), CIA (counter-intelleigence), and Special Forces (war/"police actions"), maybe even CDC (epidemy control, if their powers are relevant) so their name should reflect them. Of course, you may have some supers work this full time, or be a kind of Reserve/National Guard that only gets mobilized under emergencies. Karmakaze's options 1 & 2.

How about this one?

"I am a registered metahuman. Surrender now and you will be remanded to police custody at the first opportunity. If you resist, I will use any means I deem necessary to safeguard the public, up to and including lethal force. This is your only warning."

It's short and sweet, yet to the point.

Matt "No-small-talk" Frisbee

How about this one?

"I am a registered metahuman. Surrender now and you will be remanded to police custody at the first opportunity. If you resist, I will use any means I deem necessary to safeguard the public, up to and including lethal force. This is your only warning."

It's short and sweet, yet to the point.

Matt "No-small-talk" Frisbee

This is good. I was hesitant to use the "I am an officer" language, as some people using the warning might not have an official position, beyond having gone through the routine examination/orientation process when they registered.

A uniformed metahuman could, presumably, dispense with the warning under most circumstances, or at least, just stop at identifiying their branch of service.

"If you persist' date=' I must inform you that my gamma blasts have been known to cause cancer in the state of California... and the three states next to it."[/quote']

You have been deemed a threat to public safety. You will be removed from the general public until such time as we find a way to make you safe.

Or we remember exactly where we've warehoused you...

*ulp* Aren't you Grond? Pleasedon'thurtme!

Nice.

Also, this comes to mind for a Mystery Men-style "Registered" group:

A: "Sir, we'll help you off this ledge, but first you need to sign this waiver that protects us from liability if you get injured during the rescue."

*puts a pen in the citizens mouth so he can sign it, then the citizen falls off the building*

B: "...Oh dear, he's dead. Did he sign the waiver?"

A: (checks) "Yep, he did."

B: "Well, he knew what he was getting into then. Oh look, a man trapped in a burning building!"

I did have a fair amount of fun in an old campaign chasing the PCs around with robots that yelled things like "Flight from arrest constitutes admission of guilt!" while firing at the PCs.

Back on topic... I do suspect that with the disclaimer system, a lot of fights would start with "I am a registered superhuman, plea-WHAM!!!!!" and then the meta deciding self-defense is more important than procedure.