Information for HERO/Champions Fans About The Champions Online MMO

Steve Long

Re: Information for HERO/Champions Fans About The Champions Online MMO

I just hope the character creation process is as flexible as is being touted. One of the things that always bugged me about CoH/V was how you were forced into choosing from certain Archetype options based on a team-role: Ranged, Melee, Support, etc... in other words, it was imposssible to build a nimble martial artist who also had a ranged attack, or a high flying energy blaster who was also nigh invulnerable, or a brick with healing powers, or.... anyway, you get the idea. I really hope CO doesn't do that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope the character creation process is as flexible as is being touted. One of the things that always bugged me about CoH/V was how you were forced into choosing from certain Archetype options based on a team-role: Ranged' date=' Melee, Support, etc... in other words, it was imposssible to build a nimble martial artist who also had a ranged attack, or a high flying energy blaster who was also nigh invulnerable, or a brick with healing powers, or.... anyway, you get the idea. I really hope CO doesn't do that.[/quote']

My understanding is that the current concept is that Archtypes will alter the cost of the available powers, but all Archtypes will have access to all powers.

. . . He dead. :(

Edit: No, he's not. Bergman's the one who died.

He's busy. I am alive and available and German!

"Now everybody must obey or die!"

Does that qualify me?

And Steve: Great Job!:thumbup:

Okay. This looks nifty, but what happens to the paper and dice version of Champions when (not if, when) Cryptic ultimately decides to yank the IP from hero. Right now no one seems to think it will happen, but no one ever get married thinking they're going to get divorced, either. Will Hero be allowed to develop a new IP for their superhero product, or will they have to stop putting out superheroic games altogether?

It will be an amazingly sad day when the game that started out as Champions and became Hero will no longer be able to use the name it was born with.

Okay. This looks nifty, but what happens to the paper and dice version of Champions when (not if, when) Cryptic ultimately decides to yank the IP from hero. Right now no one seems to think it will happen, but no one ever get married thinking they're going to get divorced, either. Will Hero be allowed to develop a new IP for their superhero product, or will they have to stop putting out superheroic games altogether?

It will be an amazingly sad day when the game that started out as Champions and became Hero will no longer be able to use the name it was born with.

At the very worst, Hero wouldn't be able to use the name Champions and would not be able to use the old Champions material. They could still publish "Super Hero" (or whatever they decided to call it) with a new superhero universe. Darren specifically said this at the DunDraCon announcement.

Hi. I am new to these boards and I thought I would make a few comments. I played Champions for quite a while and liked the system very much, I think it was 3rd edition when real life stuff happened and my friends who I used to play it with graduated high school, a few went off to college and I couldn't find another group to join since.

Anyway, my fascination with Super RPGs continued, I dabbled in a few other systems BESM, GURPS Supers, Heroes Unlimited.. I still think Champions was the best and offers the best character creation options there is.

I was pretty excited when City of Heroes launched, the first Super MMO. I was a bit disappointed in the power selection options though. Not "generic" enough. I really was hoping to have actual power creation in the game. If I want a character that has both blue fire blasts and green ice blasts, I should get it :P

Anyway I'm hoping Cryptic makes Champions MMO a lot more customizable and keep the COH costume creator (but continue improving it). And of course vast improvements on the travel powers system without that speed suppression they added would be really nice.

I really hope Cryptic impresses me with this one. And if the game is successful, perhaps there will be a new wave of players to the RPG and I'll find a group as well :)

Hi SylanSnake and welcome to the boards! If you haven't located it yet, there is a Player Finder forum where you can see if other hero players are in your area. Maybe you can get lucky and find a group even before the COMMO comes out :)

Well the contract includes a license for DoJ to publish RPG materials in perpetuity. So before Cryptic could "pull the license" from DoJ they would have buy that license back from them. I believe that Darren's general description of the terms were that it included an "obscene" sum of money.

Personally I find it interesting that there are so many people that assume that Steve, Darren and the rest of the owners of DoJ are stupid and/or bad businessmen. Do people really think that these kind of things never occured to them? :confused:

At the very worst' date=' Hero wouldn't be able to use the name Champions and would not be able to use the old Champions material. They could still publish "Super Hero" (or whatever they decided to call it) with a new superhero universe. Darren specifically said this at the DunDraCon announcement.[/quote']

Yup. That that they would have an "obscene" sum of money to launch it with. :D Were it to ever happen. Which seems unlikely. Successful MMOs frequently try to get a Pen and Paper RPG published based on their game. Cryptic already HAS that before their MMO even launches. One that quite a number of people at Cryptic are big fans of. What motivation could they have to pull the license from DoJ?

The only ones I can think of are:

They'd rather have someone else publish a Champions RPG. Seems unlikely.

They'd rather not have a Champions RPG at all. Seems even less likely.

Yup. That that they would have an "obscene" sum of money to launch it with. :D Were it to ever happen. Which seems unlikely. Successful MMOs frequently try to get a Pen and Paper RPG published based on their game. Cryptic already HAS that before their MMO even launches. One that quite a number of people at Cryptic are big fans of. What motivation could they have to pull the license from DoJ?

The only ones I can think of are:

They'd rather have someone else publish a Champions RPG. Seems unlikely.

They'd rather not have a Champions RPG at all. Seems even less likely.

If anything the opposite seems likely, they would want to exploit the name recognition that Champions already has. This would be things like using art (concept or screenshot), MMO locations, etc. in the P&P vesion of Champions.

If anything the opposite seems likely' date=' they would want to exploit the name recognition that Champions already has. This would be things like using art (concept or screenshot), MMO locations, etc. in the P&P vesion of Champions.[/quote']

Which is in fact the plan. :)

Personally I find it interesting that there are so many people that assume that Steve, Darren and the rest of the owners of DoJ are stupid and/or bad businessmen. Do people really think that these kind of things never occured to them? :confused:

I'm the opposite. The management of DoH is good management, they have survived in the fickle industry called publishing, particularly RPG publishing. Over that same time, many other businesses have gone out of business, and the industry has gotten smaller.

Reiterating: DoJ's management are clever and wise businessmen. Here's to many more years of Champions and Hero System books.

As long as either Darren does Dr. Silverback, or maybe one of the three people who I've heard play Grodd so well in Derek's Challenge of the Superfriends game (Derek's actually one of them, I don't know the screen names of the other two), it should work out.

Ok, Grodd's not necessarily a good role model for Silverback, but if you can do a villainous ape I figure you should be given a shot at doing a heroic one.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that puzzles me about the whole Cryptic deal is why it's structured as a sale of the IP with a perpetual license back to DoJ. Why was it not done simply as a straight licensing deal? Champions is the crown jewel of DoJ's IPs, so it seems overly complex and unnecessary, unless I'm missing seeing something. :confused:

Champions is the crown jewel of DoJ's IPs' date=' so it seems overly complex and unnecessary, unless I'm missing seeing something. :confused:[/quote']

Is that really true? I guess I am a bit unusual in that my first big exposure to Hero System was playing a fantasy Hero game that lasted for a few years. What sold me on the system was its generic nature. I would say that DoJ's crown jewel is the Hero System, not the Champions Universe. Obviously, the name Champions itself has a great legacy and name recognition, but the universal Hero System is the big appeal to me.

I would guess Cryptic insisted after loosing the Marvel licence they don't want to invest/loose on a licence again' date=' but that is only a guess[/quote']

That's basically what Steve implied in his comments.

JG